1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO for a new Social Media website

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by janiman, Oct 19, 2015.

My company has created a new social media website and they want me to do SEO for it. Its a very big budget project.
    Right now i,m totally clueless on what to do.
    Till now i did Local SEO and International SEO for products and services and online stores but social media website is totally different.

So what should i do, from where should i start?
    After on Page SEO, what Off Resources should i use?
    Your help will be highly appreciated. Thanks

janiman, Oct 19, 2015 IP
  2. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It's a "big budget project" yet they want someone who is clueless about SEO to do SEO for it...are they idiots?
    Tell them to hire someone who knows what they are doing, you will probably do them more harm than good.

malky66, Oct 19, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. dannybedor

dannybedor Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Find a reputable SEO company which you can find easily on the internet. Let them show you their portfolios so you can view their previous clients and the results. And they should give you the detail work and time schedule to SEO optimization for your company.
    If they promised you for quick result then they may apply the black hat SEO which may hurt your company in the future.

dannybedor, Oct 20, 2015 IP
  4. seoaceindia

seoaceindia Banned

Best Answers:
    if you do not have any idea then contact to top seo service provider and choose suitable plan from them. if you spend huge amount on your project then you should be spend small amount in seo.

seoaceindia, Oct 20, 2015 IP
  5. janiman

janiman Member

Best Answers:
    I,m very sorry. Its my mistake.

Yesterday my manager told me that i,m going to do SEO for this website but he did not describe that it will be for some common keywords.
    I,m not clueless about SEO i was just worried about the project and clueless of doing SEO for social media website that does not have any keywords and SEO is entirely based on keywords and i have to find the keywords. Of-course my superiors are not foolish and they have their marketing strategy too, but i was not aware of that.

First keyword is the websites name: For example "geezy.com" if someone search for "geezy" then "geezy.com" should appear on top.
    Other 2 keywords are common keywords. These keywords are useful for our website and the competition for these keywords is low.

So now my question has changed a bit,

What type of link building strategy should i follow?

Can i do Angela Paul style Link building for this?

For this i think i can't do Local Citations and Directory Submissions.

I think i can work with Guest Posts, Article Submission, web 2.0 and Press Release submission.
    Forum posting, blog commenting, Social Bookmarks and Social profile creation.
    I know i have to choose good quality websites for this strategy.

So what should i add or less from my link building strategy?

I,m asking this because i never did SEO for social media website and perhaps for 6 to 8 months i,m doing Local SEO and the websites ranked just by doing Local Citations, Directory submissions and web 2.0 and now i just want to know what off page techniques still works or not?

janiman, Oct 20, 2015 IP
  6. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What is the website URL?

Without seeing the content and quality of the site, we couldn't possibly tell you where to start.

Matthew Sayle, Oct 20, 2015 IP
  7. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For a Social Media site I would first focus on Social Media sites(FB/Twitter/etc). This is after-all where people are proven to be interested in that niche. Create profiles on SM sites and engage with users.

"geezy.com" Geezy- would be considered a BRAND anchor. Don't get too caught up on SEO or search engines for that matter in the beginning. Social Media sites usually don't need rankings but more of a Brand and social sharing. Think of FB, Twitter, Pinterest, they don't rely on traffic from SEO or search engines. They created a brand and social media spreads the word naturally.
    If done correctly social media buzz will out preform SEO any day.

You'll know when you've successfully created a Brand when most of your traffic is direct type-in.

kjh-08, Oct 20, 2015 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'd focus on the on-page optimisation.

SERPs on the domain name will come naturally

Keywords: bollocks, nobody searches google and stumbles upon a new social site and joins up on a whim.
    They might with forums but they will tend to be flybys who ask their question, get their answer and then never return.

Think about why you first signed up to the most successful social sites ie facebook, pinterest, twitter etc. I'd bet that you were compelled by peer pressure or curiosity but not by anything an SEO might have done.

How to get traction:
    • get niche leaders to vlog, blog, pin, gram or whatever about their new accounts on the site
    • spend big on advertising
    • send out real press releases to real media agencies about some quirky aspect of the site or something odd that happened (a woman giving birth got helpful advice from her followers while she waited for the ambulance)

sarahk, Oct 20, 2015 IP
  9. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would target the domain name only for a SERIOUS Social Media site... Just like Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin... They have their NAME, they don't have keywords! ;)

patco, Oct 20, 2015 IP