1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

RANT: why are people so dumb?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PoPSiCLe, Oct 1, 2015.

Okay. This might not be entirely appropriate, but... I just need to vent a bit of frustration.

I like helping people with code-problems, and I also like to read other's solutions to problems, to learn more.

While that is all fine, I also expect people taking up code to actually make an effort to learn about code, and to do their very best to try to fix the problem themselves. If, and only if, they've exhausted all other avenues, Google, tried and failed to fix it, should they ask a question. And, when the answers come, don't expect everything to be laid out for you in a step-by-step instruction. SOME assembly required. Because, if we just hand you the solution on a silver platter, without explaining, or at least have you think a little bit yourself, how are you going to learn anything?

And, sometimes, I just get a little bit... "WTF did I just read?" - for instance, when you tell someone to do something, and they do something completely different - something that is so baffling that you just go... "how did my instructions get turned into THAT?", and wonder if the person should even be touching a keyboard.

I get that not everyone is fluent in whatever coding language we're discussing, and that everyone started somewhere, but my current view of humanity tells me we're gonna be extinct in a few hundred years - not because of pollution, global warming or food shortage, but just because people are too dumb to be able to open the canned food in front of them.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 1, 2015 IP
    sarahk, Vitarank and Spoiltdiva like this.
  2. RoundShots

RoundShots Active Member

Best Answers:
    I understand your point, but sometimes, patience is the key. I don't know if you have kids, but if you do, then you must know how patient you need to be to teach them whatever the time it takes.

My point is that on forums, some people really act like childs (DONT GET ME WRONG, i mean it in the way that they just expect you to teach them all from A to Z.)

It's frustrating yes, but it's the human nature, some people have more facilities in several domains, and some other know shit to anything, that's how our world is.

Forums work this way, you help people based on your knowledges, and people help you the same with their knowledge.

RoundShots, Oct 1, 2015 IP
  3. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Many times I see a post and I start to answer it before realizing how long it is going to take and the week or so it will drag out if the poster keeps coming back with more questions. Then I don't reply, and often nobody does.

I don't write people's code for them. Giving suggestions and pointing people in the right direction with links should be all it takes. If someone has trouble understanding the official PHP documentation, for example, then they should ask what it means and then going forward they should check it before posting a question about PHP.

On the flip side, there are times where it is difficult to find answers to questions quickly. I don't expect someone to spend hours digging for information when they could make a quick post and get an answer from a knowledgeable person taking only a minute or two of the respondent's time.

I don't look down on newbies. I remember how difficult it was getting stuff to work right in IE6. People have it much easier these days.

billzo, Oct 1, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am not a coder, but what you are witnessing is not only an issue with programming. I have an online IT supplies business. When we first started it many years ago, we went into eBay selling networking cables in a big way. Became a Power Seller with over 20,000 customers in just about three years. What I witnessed in terms of sheer stupidity, inability to read clearly written sales text and more was appalling. Like you, I began to lose faith in humanity. I could not believe that some of my customers could cross the street without directions and multiple attempts. It would have been funny were it not so sad.

We actually stopped selling on eBay and switched to Amazon, in which the buyers were a little better, but not great. Eventually, we stopped selling to the consumer entirely and now focus our efforts exclusively on data centers and network managers.

jrbiz, Oct 2, 2015 IP
  5. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hey PoPSiCLe,
    Interesting post, personally - am not a coder and find codes pretty difficult to understand. I mostly just pay and get things done.

However, if instruction are clearly provided, I can do a bit of a coding - sort of like "find this" and then "replace it with this" kind of a thing!

I have messed up codes in the past and hired people to fix it. I have leaned from my mistakes though - now I make sure to do backups before trying out anything!

uttoransen, Oct 2, 2015 IP
  6. Jeremy Benson

Jeremy Benson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're right people can be stupid. We can all agree, but you have to step into someone else's shoes too. You and Nico helped me considerably here, and others too. I find it great. Also, although my code is still horrid to professional standards, it's gotten a lot better. I always try to write my own code, and always search Google. Many of my problems don't get posted here because of Google.

The thing with people like me is we're just not as smart as you, and we're not going to be. Ever. It's just a sad fact we have to accept, and because of that it can actually be very debilitating, and dream shattering. I've bombed 4-5 websites before this one that I'm coding. It's about 80% complete, and still needs some professional refurbishing in the end. I've been trying to a very long time to get a professional site out, and there are some very cuss heavy frustrations in the process. Without people like you, Nico, DeathShadow, and those who supported on Dream In Code, this site wouldn't be happening.

I can't make games, I'm not smart enough, can't make sites, not smart enough, can't really do anything professional enough to be successful on my own behalf, so imagine life from that point of view. It sucks sometimes... I think you have to understand what you're actually doing for the 'dumber' people even if they don't succeed. You're actually helping with dreams lots of the time, it's not unappreciated :p At least it shouldn't be.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Jeremy Benson, Oct 9, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Some of the most successful; entrepreneurs I know were incapable of doing any one thing especially well. But they knew how to bring the right people together to get everything done and made it all happen. Give yourself a break and understand that there are all kinds of metrics for successful people to measure themselves by. I know super programmers who have trouble crossing the street without a map.

jrbiz, Oct 9, 2015 IP
    competent123 and th.sigit like this.
  8. Jeremy Benson

Jeremy Benson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    True. This is what I'm learning. Programming all that I can to save money, and using the budget for layout and refurbishing code. Thanks for the comment jrbiz.

Jeremy Benson, Oct 9, 2015 IP
  9. werliyu

werliyu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People are not dumb. They just don't want to think a little bit harder.
    I think you will not excel as a teacher, patience... my friend.
    Just sayin'

werliyu, Oct 11, 2015 IP
  10. Vitarank

Vitarank Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dunno, for some reason people prefer to be spoon-fed these days. Not saying they are dumb tho. More like, lazy. Yeah, that's the term :D they are somewhat similar though :p

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Vitarank, Oct 12, 2015 IP
    werliyu likes this.
  11. edlinux

edlinux Member

Best Answers:
    we get it
    you smarter than anyone else
    i bet you live in a basement with your underground man complex :)

edlinux, Oct 12, 2015 IP
  12. edlinux

edlinux Member

Best Answers:
    funny how you predicting the future of humanity based on a few casual encounters you had on internet forums:rolleyes:
    perhaps you suck at giving instructions?

edlinux, Oct 12, 2015 IP