1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can i use this logo?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by arsalancfc, Oct 1, 2015.

hello there i got a domain lolztoday.com

so i searched it if someone was using this domain before and i think yes someone was using by looking at this: http://lolztoday.tumblr.com/
    so inside this i saw 2 good logo of theirs this: http://i.imgur.com/lF2JMCR.png and this: see below this image where they used watermark: http://i.imgur.com/hr5QvbP.png and this tumbler post was made 3 years ago. So can i use this logo and that watermark on my website? or the owner will sue me and also get domain from me?

arsalancfc, Oct 1, 2015 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Of course you can't use their logo on your website. Why in the world would you think you can?
    If you want to use it, try to contact the owner of the tumblr-account, and ask if you can be allowed to use it. Also, this might not have ANYTHING to do with your site - creating tumblr-accounts doesn't need a domain, and there's no reason to believe this has been a part of your site based on the images, at least.
    And, if you did your research, you'd see that that was NOT the logo of lolztoday.com in 2013, at least. http://web.archive.org/web/20130405044414/http://lolztoday.com

But no. You cannot use it. While the owner probably can't take your domain, he could sue you for copyright infringement.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 1, 2015 IP
  3. arsalancfc

arsalancfc Member

Best Answers:
    Ok i got your point so now as i own this domain i have created my own logo for my site. Lolztoday. com so now how will the world knw that logo is created by me? How we check it that who owns? Anyone can say that he created this logo(which i just created myslelf) so how will i prove them that i created it.

arsalancfc, Oct 3, 2015 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Uhm... you'll have the raw files, with a file-date on them that would precede any other file? While these things can of course be faked, the fact that you own the domain, you have the files in question on your harddrive, and you can prove that they were uploaded to your account on such and such date, there's very little chance of anyone ever trying to rip you off on your logo.
    Take note though - you own the domain, and the logo you've created - you do NOT own the name "lolztoday" in any way. It's not a trademark, it's not registered, nor is it possible to copyright it (most likely) - hence, someone else can create lolztoday.org and his/her own logo, and that would be perfectly legal.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 3, 2015 IP
  5. arsalancfc

arsalancfc Member

Best Answers:
    Someone told me on other forum that google images can tell us who created the logo first. And i keep on moving my hosting so u can say i upload files again and again. Surely there should be another way to prove that i created the logo first.

arsalancfc, Oct 4, 2015 IP
  6. Franklin Hatchett

Franklin Hatchett Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What are you talking about? Google doesn't know who created what. Google can't read an image and if you want to make it so people know you created it put a watermark on it.

Google will rank a image depending on how optimised the alt tags are etc. They don't care who created an image first because it has no idea who created an image first.

Franklin Hatchett, Oct 4, 2015 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Not entirely true. With advanced search queries, it's, to a degree, possible to limit the search by time, and hence find the first version of an image - however, this is by no means conclusive, as Google has no storage of this data, and only goes with what it currently has available in its archives - hence it doesn't really tell anything useful. It CAN be used to assess images posted on Facebook pretending to be portraying fleeing refugees and such, while really being from years ago and picturing something completely different, but for assessing who made what, when, it's useless.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 4, 2015 IP
  8. arsalancfc

arsalancfc Member

Best Answers:
    than how can i prove someone that i created the logo or i paid for this logo to be created by someone else?

arsalancfc, Oct 9, 2015 IP
  9. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Oh, my god. Seriously, if THIS is your main concern, you know nothing of creating a business.
    First off, if you've commissioned someone to have it made, you have a contract. A legal document, signed by both parties, that stipulates the work being done, and the result. You'll also have someone who can verify that s/he made the logo for you, and at what time.
    Second, if you make the logo yourself, you can provide the raw files that is the basis for the logo. You'll have sketches, final drafts, different versions of the logo in different colors, all in raw format - either it being a .psd or .ai-file, or whatever program you designed the logo in. These files will be timestamped, and if you want, you can upload them somewhere, and never touch them again, just to have a safe copy somewhere. If all that isn't good enough, after you make it, have some lawyer attest to it autenticity (with a notarized document), date it, and put that in your safety deposit box. It's really not that hard, though.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 9, 2015 IP
  10. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    you can get a new logo created on this forum for like $20... why not just do that... start a logo contest on here

pmf123, Oct 14, 2015 IP
  11. arsalancfc

arsalancfc Member

Best Answers:
    ok i will make the logo creater sign the document. do u have any document? what should i include in that document?

arsalancfc, Oct 16, 2015 IP
  12. Pamela Turns

Pamela Turns Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can't use their logo, that's their trademark and is used to identify who they are.

Pamela Turns, Oct 28, 2015 IP
  13. arsalancfc

arsalancfc Member

Best Answers:
    I have created my own lolztoday logo nevermind

arsalancfc, Oct 31, 2015 IP
  14. Pamela Turns

Pamela Turns Active Member

Best Answers:
    Alright. Good for you!

Pamela Turns, Nov 18, 2015 IP