1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Nightly automatic updates / downloaded script questions

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by BitSea, Oct 7, 2015.

I'm currently configuring one of my Keyword Tracker groups to automatically update using the group settings, and have a couple of questions about how the automatic update happens:

1. Does DigitalPoint make a request to this script on my server? Will I have to explicitly allow these requests?
    2. Do I have to add GET variables to the end of my script url in order to configure it to update the information I want?
    3. Does it update the Keyword Rankings, the the Page Rankings, or both?
    4. Is there any way to have the tracker update less frequently (Once per week)?

Also, after downloading the script, placing it on my server, returning to the settings page to update the script location, and trying to save, I get an error message:
    Can't use function return value in write context in <file-location>.php on line 85
    The offending code seems to be this:
    foreach ($all_keys as $key => $val)
    {

if (empty(trim($val)))
    {

unset($all_keys[$key]);
    }
    }

And replacing it with this code eliminates the error:
    foreach ($all_keys as $key => $val)
    {
    $tval = trim($val);
    if (empty($tval))
    {
    unset($all_keys[$key]);​
    }​
    }​

Is the script broken? Or is it some issue on my end?

EDIT: Seems like empty() is a language construct, and attempting to pass a function to it doesn't work on servers running PHP versions before 5.5

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    BitSea, Oct 7, 2015 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah that would fix it for older versions. What version of PHP are you using?

1. Yes, it will make a request to your server for the API calls.

2. No, it's not a script intended for people to use.

3. Both.

4. No, there's not. Is there a reason you would want it updated less often?

digitalpoint, Oct 7, 2015 IP
  3. BitSea

BitSea Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info. The server I'm using is running PHP 5.4, and the reason I was wondering about weekly updates was because I was a bit unclear about the usage quotas for Google's custom search API. I plan on tracking a lot of rankings using the keyword tracker, and I was worried that nightly updates might push me over my quota. However, it seems like the quota for this API is reset daily, so nightly updates aren't a problem.

Again, thanks for the info, and the timely response.

BitSea, Oct 8, 2015 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep... Quotas reset daily. Also if you have too many keywords for your daily quota, it will stop when it hits the quota and then start again where it left off the next day. That way even if you are hitting the quota, all keywords are still checked.

digitalpoint, Oct 8, 2015 IP