1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How and what to do with my website

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Prince Gift, Oct 5, 2015.

Hi all!

I recently bought a catchy domain www.lostware.net . While buying I never really thought for what I would be using the domain.
    I initially thought to build a software download site on it like oldversion.com or soft32 or filehippo etc
    But not understanding how to do that. Can anyone help me out with that?
    Or
    can you suggest me some good genre for my domain to start a website that would be suitable?

Thanks!

Prince Gift, Oct 5, 2015 IP
  2. RoundShots

RoundShots Active Member

Best Answers:
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    RoundShots, Oct 6, 2015 IP
  3. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    Start by throwing the Wordpress, Bootcrap, and jquery in the garbage where they belong. Then invest the time it takes to learn enough of the basics so you know why that crap should be tossed out. If you don't have any idea for a web site; and all you want to do is copy something that already exist; do the world a favor and sell the domain because there are already enough clones that are failing for lack of creativity. When they fail they end up abandoned and unmaintained until the hosting runs out and they are just litter along the side of the highway.

We really don't need any more "me too" download sites.

COBOLdinosaur, Oct 6, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  4. Blogzandstuff

Blogzandstuff Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I disagree with the above, wordpress is the most wildly used platform in the world so it isn't crap. I would set up a site about vintage computing with live ebay auctions and a blog and a forum for vintage software fans. Just look on ebay and you'll see how popular vintage software is. you can get a plugin that adds live ebay auctions to your site and posts that count down in real time, and when a auction has finished it automatically replaces it so it is truly set and forget. the plugin is called easybaypro ( google it for the sales page). i use this on all of my sites. You could also add some amazon books etc on the subject.

Blogzandstuff, Oct 6, 2015 IP
    billzo likes this.
  5. Prince Gift

Prince Gift Member

Best Answers:
    I dont need a developer actually!

I always learn things while I build them. But the thing is I am not understanding what to build. I see many experienced and varied background people here. So I am thinking maybe someone will give me some idea on what to start or build on that domain.

Prince Gift, Oct 6, 2015 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The guy who sold you the domain will be delighted, you bought on impulse and didn't have any kind of business plan before spending your money. I hope it didn't cost much.

Personally I'd write an arcade type game and attach it to the site - something where people have to go and find hidden (ie lost) treasure (ie wares) and then sell them - sort of like Farmville. It's great that you are happy to learn as you go because paying for a developer for that kind of game would be beyond most people's budget for an spur-of-the-moment domain purchase.

sarahk, Oct 6, 2015 IP
  7. Prince Gift

Prince Gift Member

Best Answers:
    Hi!

I didnt buy it from anyone. I bought it from godaddy directly whilest buying gamesfreeplay.in and websitevaluez.com
    I already own www.topyourdesk.com, saasbahu.com and others.

I got a gaming site as you see. So please suggest something very nice for lostware.net :)

Thanks.

Prince Gift, Oct 7, 2015 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    What was wrong with creating a game centered around the concept of lostware? You obviously understand the niche and have a site that can help promote your new game.

sarahk, Oct 7, 2015 IP
  9. redesignunit@gmail.com

redesignunit@gmail.com Banned

Best Answers:
    if you don't know what you want to do with this domain then its better you can sale this or if you not want to sale then hire a developer or bought script from any good developer or template sharing site.

redesignunit@gmail.com, Oct 8, 2015 IP
  10. Prince Gift

Prince Gift Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there!

That is what I am not understanding what script to buy. What kind of website to start. Ofcourse not a gaming site :)

thanks.

Prince Gift, Oct 8, 2015 IP
  11. RoundShots

RoundShots Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try to make an amazon affiliate website then, with your domain name , it could match.

RoundShots, Oct 8, 2015 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Why "ofcourse"
    I reckon you should create a game, not a gaming site

sarahk, Oct 8, 2015 IP
  13. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Just because something is popular doesn't make it cease to be crap -- just look at pop music.

View source on most ANY site vomited up with the steaming pile of halfwit idioitic bullshit known as Turdpress for proof enough of what ineptly coded rubbish it is -- and that's just the front end. The "security, what's that?" back-end is a dozen times worse.

If it's used a lot, it's because people blindly believe its propaganda, or have had some sleazeball inept scam artist put the saddle on them and taken them for a ride. You use it for anything more complex than a blog for grandma you are shooting your horse in the foot before the gate even opens. Much like all the other sleazeball shortcuts and halfwit broken methodologies like bootcrap, jquery, YUI, LESS, SASS, HTML 5, Codeignitor, Laravel, etc, etc, developers are dumber for any of it even existing!!!

I've never seen a site built with turdpress that wasn't a fat bloated slow inaccessible disaster and/or laundry list of how NOT to build a website... Pretty much if you don't know what's wrong with this:

<body class="home blog custom-background">
    <div id="parallax-bg"></div>
    <div id="page" class="hfeed site">
    		<header id="masthead" class="site-header" role="banner">
    		<div class="header-wrap clearfix">
    			<div class="site-branding">
    				<h1 class="site-title"><a href="http://demosite.center/wordpress/" title="WordPress Demo Install" rel="home">WordPress Demo Install</a></h1>
    				<h2 class="site-description">Just another WordPress site</h2>
    			</div>

<div class="header-search-icon"></div>
    			<form role="search" method="get" class="search-form" action="http://demosite.center/wordpress/">
    	<label>
    		<span class="screen-reader-text">Search for:</span>
    		<input type="search" class="search-field" placeholder="Search &hellip;" value="" name="s">
    	</label>
    	<input type="submit" class="search-submit" value="Search">
    </form>

<nav id="site-navigation" class="main-navigation" role="navigation">
    				<h1 class="menu-toggle"></h1>
    Code (markup):
    ... You probably have ZERO damned business making a website!!! I've got two middle fingers -- one for wordpress and one for the source it code in on.

deathshadow, Oct 9, 2015 IP
    COBOLdinosaur and malky66 like this.
  14. Blogzandstuff

Blogzandstuff Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Whoa there fella!

Blogzandstuff, Oct 9, 2015 IP
  15. ketting00

ketting00 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I would use whatever makes cash and don't care for others' opinions. They don't help me pay my bills.

ketting00, Oct 10, 2015 IP
  16. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    As far as I am concerned anyone who wants to limit their income by specializing in building lowend crap sites with WP, Boocrap and the rest of the pukeware collection is welcome to do so. If they actually have some real skills starting out with WP then they their potential will quickly be diminished by "easy shortcuts" and lazy programming. Thus I never have to worry about them competing for the kind of profitable contracts that require real skill and pay big $$$$ to real programmers.

There are 4 kinds of web developers: Real pros, making serious money; those taking the time to learn the right way by doing the hard work; lazy wannabes who have the moronic idea that they are going to make a lot of money building crap sites with junk like WP, BS, and jq; and crooked assholes who know its crap but promote it and sell it anyway because the lack the moral fiber to do honest work.

Everyone has the chance to make a choice which of the four groups they want to be in.

As for the popularity of WP; it just demonstrates that the morons and crooks outnumber the honest, hard-working professionals. Some serious professionals making 100k or more a year try the crapware collection and either abandon it because it is worthless or end up doing "easy stuff" for a lot less money. Unfortunately there is a point of no return where real programming skills have been so eroded that it is almost impossible to come back to real programming. I have seen it happen to a few, and it is like watching a heroin addict destroy themselves.

COBOLdinosaur, Oct 10, 2015 IP