1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

This One Tip Always Brought More Copywriting Business to Me.

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Alex Toll, Nov 18, 2014.

No, I'm not going to post some shady links to suspicious websites. I'm just going to say this:

Go the extra mile for the client. It's easy. Come up with something that you could offer, as a small gift/sign of appreciation for the customer. We all love bonuses and so do customers.

Here's a personal example. I was ordered a set of tweets and a set of Facebook posts, which were supposed to engage the audience on a new quality level. After examining the task, I noticed that the design of the client's social media pages was pretty bad. So I just went ahead and designed their Twitter and Facebook backgrounds for them. It's not that hard with tools like Canva or any other free online image editing tool. It took me an extra hour or my time. You don't have to be a design pro to do this, just some taste and sense of proportion. This is just an example. The client was surprised and actually used my designs. I received multiple orders from this client after that.

I try to do this all the time - a little something on top, to exceed their expectations.

Alex Toll, Nov 18, 2014 IP
  2. aidanriley629

aidanriley629 Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing that, Alex. It's pretty hard to find someone to do the bare minimum required of them, let alone go the extra mile..

aidanriley629, Nov 26, 2014 IP
    Alex Toll likes this.
  3. Alex Toll

Alex Toll Active Member

Best Answers:
    And that's why people come here to complain about no business and stagnant market. They're lazy (not all, but the majority).

Alex Toll, Nov 28, 2014 IP
    SCookAAM likes this.
  4. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of people who have little to no people skills.

TextServices, Nov 28, 2014 IP
  5. Melisa455

Melisa455 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the good advise.
    Nowadays, there are so many seller.. it is becoming harder and harder to sell online.

Melisa455, Nov 28, 2014 IP
  6. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's not becoming so much hard because of the competition you speak of, but more because the general quality of market has declined considerably. If and when the market gets better, this competition will automatically get wiped out as low-grade writers will not be in demand anymore. I know the cheap segment of the market will probably never go away but with Google rolling out some powerful changes in their algos, there's at least a reason to hope.

BTW, that's a nice piece of advice @Alex Toll. Yes, I've experienced this quite often. 'Going that extra mile' does give you repeat business. However, I've had a client recently for whom I had done this but in the end, he started bargaining for a hell lot of things and wanted a great deal more for the price we initially settled. So I guess we need to somewhat nitpick when following. After all, not every person deserves it.:)

Content Maestro, Nov 28, 2014 IP
    Alex Toll likes this.
  7. Alex Toll

Alex Toll Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think that it's pretty hard for someone like that to become a copywriter. Copywriting is all about compassion - understand what people need and give it to them.

No problem. That's why it's important to stand out.

Yes, there has to be a balance. After all, this is a 2-way street. That's why I think top notch copywriters are lucky in this regard. They can just dump annoying/rude/unprofessional clients and find some better business.

That's exactly why I also always provide something extra that's not exactly in my line of work. So that it couldn't affect the price ("come on, write another page, you did it for free last time..."). Instead I do unrelated stuff, like Facebook pages and or links to useful resources. For example, I wrote and email and attached links to a couple of free templates, which might suite this particular message.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014
    Alex Toll, Dec 1, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  8. JD Ebberly

JD Ebberly Peon

Best Answers:
    When you deliver more than you promise - that always impresses customers.

One very good example is Brian Clark, of Copyblogger Media fame. I have enrolled in TWO of his courses over the past eight years. One was Teaching Sells. The other is Authority. Brian Clark and his team absolutely OVERDELIVER, every time. They gave me more than they promised. They give wonderful service. Do I want to do business with them? You betcha! Will I be a lifetime customer for them? Absolutely.

JD Ebberly, Dec 7, 2014 IP
  9. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    "Overdelivering" is a bit different from "going the extra mile" though.;)

Content Maestro, Dec 7, 2014 IP
  10. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Alex is dead on.

Going the extra mile is actually one of Napoleon Hill's kaws of success - when you do this, the returns will far exceed the extra.

That's not to say that every time you go above and beyond, the client you do this for will reward you, or even appreciate it. Most to, I think, but some don't.

however, it shows others and you'll benefit one way or another.

As for the comment about a poor market and so forth - things always change, but one thing, I believe strongly, will never change - quality always stands out.

SCookAAM, Dec 12, 2014 IP
    Alex Toll likes this.
  11. Jeremy Francis

Jeremy Francis Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    That's a good story and worth remembering. It always pays to go the extra mile. Now there's no guarantee that your client is going to appreciate your initiative, but it leaves you with a good and fulfilled feeling. There are a lot of really good people out there who are more than happy to pay more for your value added services. It truly makes them remember you for the next job... :)

Jeremy Francis, Oct 5, 2015 IP
  12. PowerfulDigitalSolutions

PowerfulDigitalSolutions Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Great advice Alex! I have learned over time that it's always good to under promise and over deliver. Figure out a way to really wow the customer. Then again, if you get a customer who asks for so much for so little, then that person may not be worth being your customer.
    I know I try to do what I can to wow my clients.