1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Android and Iphone App for your blog

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by bluebelt91, Oct 1, 2015.

Guys,

I have noticed top bloggers creates apps for their blog. what do you think? Is it really worth to invest time and money for app related to your blog.

bluebelt91, Oct 1, 2015 IP
  2. jdjenkins

jdjenkins Active Member

Best Answers:
    Think about whether you personally have installed an app for someone's blog....

But I think it could work for people who are already subscribers, are reading your blog already, and want an easier way to look at it on their phone.

jdjenkins, Oct 2, 2015 IP
  3. swasa

swasa Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I go with jdjenkins which is true if you have a lot of subscribers then it is worth creating an iphone/android app for their blog.

swasa, Oct 2, 2015 IP
  4. bluebelt91

bluebelt91 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I never installed apps for any blog. But I agreed it can create more visitors for your blog.

bluebelt91, Oct 2, 2015 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Strictly speaking, I've never ever seen a blog with its own app. Do you have any examples? I would assume that if the blog is coded properly, it should work just as well on mobile browsers as an app would, and if the app's sole purpose is to show the site, then it has no valid reason to exist. If the app provides some benefits, like discounts, extra content, or something like that, maybe it can be of some minor value - but why not just have that on the webpage, and have a member's section, or something instead?
    The point I'm trying to make is this: what will it cost to develop a functional app that people both want to download and install, not to mention keep on the device when the "new, shiny" wears off? I find it hard to believe that the extra maintenance and cost will be balanced by a few more users to your site.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 3, 2015 IP
  6. bluebelt91

Best Answers:
    PoPSiCLe - Check out this one of the top blog in India: Shoutmeloud.com - Author-Harsh has app for his blog in Android and Iphone

bluebelt91, Oct 3, 2015 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Okay, I guess - but reading the app-update comments, it seems to me like a rather useless thing - I didn't check the site on my mobile, but if it's coded correctly, all the things the app can do, I can just do straight on the website, so why would I need an app that just takes up room on my phone?
    Sorry, I still don't see the usefullness of this.
    Useful apps, to me, are apps that fulfill certain purposes, better than just a conversion of the webpage does. Most apps don't, and although some are successfull regardless, at least on my phone, they usually gets deleted quickly. One exception is the FB app - which basically just does what the website does (it actually does less than the website does) - but it's convenient, and has the most important bits present - and to be fair, the FB-website is horrible, both on desktop and mobile, so no wonder people use the app instead.
    For a "normal" webpage, though, I still don't really see the value. Especially when counting development time and cost, maintenance costs, updating it for new versions of iOS and Android, and so forth. It seems to me that that time could be used actually making better and more content for the website. Unless you have a team running the site, which most blogs don't have, and can't afford.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 4, 2015 IP
    bluebelt91 likes this.
  8. jdjenkins

jdjenkins Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is a UK technology news site - theregister.co.uk - which has an app. I think it means they have more options to customise the mobile interface, and make it more user-friendly on small touchscreens.

jdjenkins, Oct 4, 2015 IP
  9. bluebelt91

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with PoPSiCLe. My blog is also one man show, so I cannot afford an app for it.But wondering if this is a new trend among bloggers to reach or retain blog readers.

bluebelt91, Oct 4, 2015 IP
  10. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    First off, look at your market. Does large percentages of your market HAVE small touchscreens? By "small" I mean 4.5" or less. For my main market, that would be a "nope!" - most users in Norway have the latest models of flagship Android or iPhone models, and very few have smaller than 4.5"-screens.
    Second, options to customize the mobile interface - well, web-interfaces have SOME limitations, mainly accessing built-in hardware on the phone, for instance. Which, if accessing camera, gyros, sensors etc. is important, you might want to invest in apps. Apart from that, you have more or less exactly the same abilities with a web-based interface as a proprietary app.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 4, 2015 IP
  11. jdjenkins

jdjenkins Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree - often all you need with a favourite site is just to save it on the desktop/home screen of a phone/tablet, just to make it easier to get back to.

jdjenkins, Oct 4, 2015 IP
  12. tk-hassan

tk-hassan Member

Best Answers:
    The number of mobile users are increasing with every passing day and it is definitely worth to have an app about your blog which help more and more people to stay updated with your posts all the time.

tk-hassan, Oct 8, 2015 IP
  13. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't bother with an app even if I had a million visitors a day. My blog is optimised for mobile screens. Why take the extra effort when everything is already in place.

rsrikanth05, Oct 8, 2015 IP
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I use the app for major news sites but wouldn't bother with a blog.

One of our local shoe shop chains has an app for their online store. I literally laughed out loud and had a discussion with my daughter that went along the lines of "What even?!"

sarahk, Oct 8, 2015 IP