1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I am aspiring to make a website

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by qazli, Aug 14, 2015.

So I have been wanting to make a website for a while now, with no prior knowledge of html i took it upon myself to become self taught but i eventually realized that i can't. I would like my site too look quite similar to http://christianpf.com/start/. In particular, the navigation bar background color and location of the text ( the left border) and the mobile friendly code. I am looking for someone to teach me how to do this as i can't seem to follow the source code. I wouldn't mind if you did post the html, css and java but if someone would be willing to tech me i would be willing to pay in cryptocurrency. But all free help is welcome.

Sorry for the TLDR but all help is appreciated.

qazli, Aug 14, 2015 IP
  2. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    So if you want to learn to drive a car you would start by getting in a damaged Formula 1 car to learn the basics?

The site you reference is from a technical standpoint a garbage dump full of errors and invalid code. If you want to do a web site then the correct approach to self learning is to do a search for basic tutorials for CSS, HTML, and Javascript. Then with each new thing you learn implement the knowledge into a web page. When you can look at that web site and understand what a load of crap it is you will know enough to be able to do a site that is better.

What a site looks like is not what web development is about. The design of a web page is secondary to content and if you cannot understand that then you should look for another hobby because you never be any good at web design/developemnt if youcannot understand the relationship of content versus presentation.

COBOLdinosaur, Aug 15, 2015 IP
  3. joice33

joice33 Banned

Best Answers:
    Happy to get a great sound from you. Wish you all the best.

joice33, Aug 15, 2015 IP
  4. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    At the minimum, you must learn HTML and CSS, or you will never be able to code a basic template. This stuff is very easy to learn if you want to, just visit codecademy dot com to learn what you need. Once you understand HTML and CSS you can build a static website...

cronik, Aug 15, 2015 IP
  5. Keith Lock

Keith Lock Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Many people want to be DIY's because of budget, or because they came across a site that looks awesome and they want to duplicate it. I've been there. But, if you consider your other options... then you might not be so hung up on design. The other poster didn't say it as politely as he could have but design isn't everything... but, I still get where you are coming from. If you don't plan to be a developer or designer for a living, but just want to build your own site... I would highly suggest starting with WordPress, and browsing available themes. If you find a theme that gets you just as excited, there is no learning curve, you just click the Buy Now button. You can "view source" all day long, but it's best truthfully to take it one step at a time. And if you're building a site to generate an income, don't wait for education before you earn. You can still learn, but earn in parallel. That's my 2 cents. Oh, and "For Dummies" books are wonderful. Get some that were published in 2015 and you should be good to go. Great things to learn are HTML, CSS, PHP, WordPress, AJAX, JavaScript, JSON...

Keith Lock, Aug 18, 2015 IP
  6. Keith Lock

Keith Lock Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Oh, and understand the difference between server side and client side code, learn classes/functions/arrays in PHP...

Keith Lock, Aug 18, 2015 IP
  7. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    When there is an obvious lack of understanding and the OP does not have a clue what they are actually heading for, then polite just reinforces bad ideas, and encourages stupidity. Anyone not prepared to deal with a blunt, truthful response should ask a hooker for advice. Plus recommendin WP to a novice is the ultimate bad advice. They definitely don't want to start by ;earning all the wrong ways to do things that they will get from WP.

COBOLdinosaur, Aug 19, 2015 IP
  8. imza86

imza86 Member

Best Answers:
    This is a very good tutorial

imza86, Aug 21, 2015 IP
  9. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    How can a tutorial where they use Dreamweaver be good? I'm just wondering (can't be arsed watching the damn thing). That's an oxymoron if I ever heard it. "Dreamweaver" and "good" in the same sentence. Sorry, fail to see how that would work.

PoPSiCLe, Aug 21, 2015 IP
    COBOLdinosaur likes this.
  10. Lumiere

Lumiere Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    hey, here is a list of 60 great websites, maybe this will get you inspired and help you find some great ideas you can implement for your site, too https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/60-best-sites-designers-ann-bailey-mba?trk=prof-post

Lumiere, Aug 27, 2015 IP
  11. tinman47

tinman47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You really shouldn't use DreamWeaver. It generates so much crap code. If you know what your doing then go ahead and use it, but even then I would just generate a webpage from a .psd manually.

tinman47, Aug 30, 2015 IP
  12. tinman47

tinman47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can't just right away start creating sites that are professionally presented. Baby steps. First learn how HTML is structured. Then include CSS into it and work with the two until you have a basic grasp on what your doing. Eventually move to Javascript for interactivity, and move up from there. I started by literally making small templates that weren't so much attractive, but educational. Eventually I had an understanding on how a website is structured. But maybe this might not work for you and you need to read up on tutorials. In that case I recommend CodeAcademy.

tinman47, Aug 30, 2015 IP
  13. Abelo

Abelo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why not skip this shenanigans and just customize an existing template?

Abelo, Aug 31, 2015 IP
  14. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Just buy a Wordpress theme and get it over with.

You're setting yourself for failure by trying to learn something you're never going to use again.

Matthew Sayle, Aug 31, 2015 IP
  15. tinman47

tinman47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with you Matt, If OP is only going to do this once, might as well just use Wordpress and a theme.

tinman47, Aug 31, 2015 IP