1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tool to dynamically make links to other parts of the website?

Discussion in 'Scripts' started by Aknar, Aug 28, 2015.

Hi, first time on this forum and I must warn you i don't have previous experience building websites, but am willing to learn.
    I started a website with wix: Archi-précis

I'm trying to create a personal database with this website.
    If you go in architects tab you'll see how I want browsing to work. You click on an image that is a link to that page. Each page links to all pages related in one way or another to it. I'll make templates of each type of page to only fill in the info but what I need is a simple to use content management tool that you put links and tags into so it then makes all the proper links on all pages. I'd like it to be able to work with photos as links.

I used google sheets for the timeline and Timeline JS3 that transforms the lines of info into embedded links and was wondering if something similar existed for what i'm trying to do in which I can put my pictures and their links.

I might have a lot of expectations considering my lack of knowledge about this....
    Does anyone know how to do such a thing? Thanks for taking the time to read through this.If your having a hard time understanding what i'm trying to do, let me know and i'll try explaining another way.

Aknar, Aug 28, 2015 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    A link to your site would help... since you're not allowed to post links yet, paste it in a [ code ] tag, or separate the actual webaddress with spaces, or something. Since Wix is a hell-hole, I'm not gonna go trying to figure out how your named website is found via Wix.

PoPSiCLe, Aug 29, 2015 IP
  3. Aknar

Aknar Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, sorry, I didn't realize the link didn't show up ^^'
    here:http:// tombardout.wix.com/archi-precis

Aknar, Aug 29, 2015 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Hm. I'm a little bit confused as to what you want, but if I understand you correctly, you want say one architect be linked to all his works, then to related architects, related projects etc. Basically, you want to create a way to navigate around in the content of the website that doesn't rely on a fixed menu, but just being able to click on a link that takes you further into, or out of wherever you are, making it possible to go "full circle" and more?

This isn't an easy task - granted, if you manage to make at least part of it manually, it's not that hard, but that will (after a while) involve a lot of work even with some automation. A better way would be to tag each post/page/image/whatever with "tags" of some sort, and then, on the subpages, include the tags you want to have links to, and then have the page build the links dynamically (this would involve a database in the background, though). Doesn't have to be tags, but some sort of taxonomy that makes linked items behave in a coherent fashion.

I don't know Wix, or its abilities (it's a page-generator, which doesn't give it much credit in my book) - but I doubt this is a built-in possibility in Wix. If it is, it's probably called tags, labels or something like that.

As an example, you could assign the following labels to an architect: architect, <influence>, <working period> (start and end time, if deceased) - and for each of his works, you'd include the architects name directly in the tags, with other important identifying features as tags (try to avoid tags that are only used once or twice, you want to have tags that are relatively broad (at least for most items) so that it's easy to pull large datasets).

PoPSiCLe, Aug 29, 2015 IP
  5. Aknar

Aknar Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. This is exactly what i'm thinking of. Wix is very limited of course and doesn't offer these kinds of possibilities. I just used it to get the website organized and and get the aesthetics down but i'm aware i'll have to change.

As I envision it, the database would be a spread sheet in which I put all the tags and the link and it would figure out where to use it on the site.

Aknar, Aug 30, 2015 IP