1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

[NEWBIE] Need help starting my idea - $500 to play with

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by fadinho, Aug 27, 2015.

Hi,
    a little bit about myself, i just finished my graphic design degree, i cant seem to find jobs just like all the other 400+ students that graduated with me lol one of my mates mentioned internet marketing to me a few days ago and i started doing my researc, now since im a graphic designer, i do know a little about marketing(the basics) but never really was interested until now.

i do have a couple of ideas but at the moment i want to focus on one thing and give it 100% and im sure ill find all the help i need here and people will point me to the right direction by telling me where to start and what to do.

i dont want to make this too long so im just going to ask right now whats something good and easy to start with as a beginner? or something that works if i put alot of effort in?

i do have an idea and a budget of $500.
    but i would like to hear it from the experienced people first.

thanks in advance

skype- fadinh0

fadinho, Aug 27, 2015 IP
  2. Zoti Media Group

Zoti Media Group Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What you want to do with the $500? Need a website? Need a marketing couch or package? Make it clear.

Zoti Media Group, Aug 27, 2015 IP
  3. fadinho

fadinho Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    no i can make that by myself! like marketing and advertising wise

fadinho, Aug 27, 2015 IP
  4. Zoti Media Group

Zoti Media Group Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Zoti Media Group, Aug 27, 2015 IP
  5. flugjoshi

flugjoshi Member

Best Answers:
    I guess you should find a niche which you have enough knowlage of and start with a few blogs. Post quality articles everyday and create some infographics which are valuable for your readers. Then create social media accounts and start of by building facebook and twitter. Twitter is the best source if you don't have traffic yet. You can also look around at Yahoo Answers and post solutions including your link.

Once your site has some traffic you can start by advertising on social media to get targeted traffic. This you could use to build up an email list...

But it all depends on the niche you want to create your online presence in...

flugjoshi, Aug 28, 2015 IP
    cronik likes this.
  6. Jonathan Branson

Jonathan Branson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Start by reading all Forums you can, investigate what niche touches you the most and then act on it.
    if you want to make a quick money start with fiverr.com and offer you design to people.

Jonathan Branson, Aug 28, 2015 IP
  7. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    goto design contests sections of digitalpoint

and start to participate in the contests, you will make a little money, but gain experience which will make you LOTs of money in long run.

competent123, Aug 28, 2015 IP
  8. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Stick with what you know! You say you have an idea but we have know idea what your idea is, not even a hint. Please share more so we can give you advice, otherwise I have no clue what to say but stick with a topic you know if you're going to sell a product or start a website/blog.

cronik, Aug 28, 2015 IP
    Mehdi.b likes this.
  9. Jax151

Jax151 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with everyone else, stick with what you know and what you have a passion for. Sometimes without passion whatever you start will begin to wither because you're not interested in it anymore, or you get bored. Take a look around and see what 'jumps out at you', whatever that is....that's where you should start!

Jax151, Aug 29, 2015 IP
  10. FarrisFahad

FarrisFahad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I can point you to a great website where you can make lots of money without spending any. Go to Themeforest.net a great site where you can sell your work. Whether it's a website, icon, background texture or what ever you like. You can sell your work their it's a great place with over 5 million members

FarrisFahad, Aug 29, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  11. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say as a newly grad do no give up on job hunting so fast, it might take up to a year to actually find something related or good. Get a low paying job and keep looking until you find the on you are looking for, honestly I would not suggest you going about doing anything with 500$. It won't make much difference unless you invest that on yourself. If you are a good designer (as you mentioned you just finished degree) then try some freelance work. Put out some ads among family and friends and friends of friends and see if you can score. Meantime do not give up on jobs. Jumping into business without any experience is difficult and most of the time fails. Finally follow your dream and what you good at and you shall succeed.
    Good luck

Mehdi.b, Aug 30, 2015 IP
  12. tbtoyl

tbtoyl Active Member

Best Answers:
    Invest in => LIST BUILDING
    You choose a niche (the one you like), get an autoresponder, create a webpage to place the optin code and start getting leads.

After that you can promote what you want to your list => TO MAKE $$$$$ (you promote affiliate programs related to your niche)

tbtoyl, Aug 31, 2015 IP
  13. tbtoyl

tbtoyl Active Member

Best Answers:
    $500 can be nice money to purchase traffic and get leads (invest in solo-ads and get fresh quality leads)

tbtoyl, Aug 31, 2015 IP
  14. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Here is what I would do, remember I am NOT a graphic designer by any means!

You say you can build a website, right?

Build it!

Make it really nice and appealing.

Then, contact 300 business owners. Yes, 300!

Start with local businesses in your area and then branch out.

Offer to redesign their logo or create a promotional banner for them - for free.

Yes, I said FREE!

Whatever you do, DO NOT just copy and paste the same message in every email. Make yours unique and personal.

Out of the 300 emails, you should expect to receive 15 - 25 job requests.

Even though these graphics are going to be free, make them the best graphics you have ever made in your entire career.

After you're done, make sure to tell the client you will make any changes/revisions for life - treat these clients as if they are spending $1,000,000 on their graphic.

Once they are 100% happy with the design, gently ask them if they would mind writing a short testimonial about the quality and service they received.

Now, what have you just done?

You have sparked the word-of-mouth wildfire.

What else?

You now have a REAL portfolio with REAL clients.

Who cares if they were free? They are real!

Notice something, you haven't spent a dime yet!

Keep your money close, you may need it later!

Here is what NOT to do:
    1. Never Pay for leads
    2. Never buy a solo ad
    3. Don't buy any SEO services
    4. Don't buy "traffic" to your website.
    These services will not work for you business. They are designed primarily for 'get rich quick' schemes and generally only make the seller rich.

You will not make a profit in graphic design by purchasing these services.

You notice how I said don't buy any SEO services?

Listen to me!

SEO works, it does!

However, there are only 2 options:

1) Sign a contract with an established BRICK AND MORTAR SEO company.
    This is VERY expensive, but since they are shelling out the cash to have a standalone business, you can rest assure they are a competent and reliable company.

2) STUDY, STUDY, STUDY!

Your cheapest option for SEO will be to find an online SEO provider - there are literally tens-of-thousands of these providers.

Before you know who to trust, you need to know about SEO yourself.

You need to know that link wheels, link pyramids and tens of thousands of backlinks pointing to your site don't work unless done CORRECTLY.

You need to make sure you are targeting a rankable keyword.

There is so many variables in SEO, you would be a fool to just start throwing money at the first person who guarantees you first page rankings.

Do you want to learn something about SEO? Just Google it!

Chances are, the results on the first page know a thing or two about SEO :D

Don't buy ANYTHING yet!

Get the word-of-mouth going, build your portfolio, get yourself established - then we will talk!

Matthew Sayle, Aug 31, 2015 IP
  15. askmarcus

askmarcus Peon

Best Answers:
    you can go for website creation, go youtube to watch how others did it... where to get the resource.
    besides that, you can go to odesk.com, fiverr.com, to provide your services to others....

askmarcus, Sep 1, 2015 IP
  16. designnewb

designnewb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't be too focussed on paid advertising to start. Build up your blog and create lots of content, recycle it on multiple social media networks, create graphics etc...then once you have SEO and a lot of content working for you...experiment with Facebook dark posts or LinkedIn targeted ads depending on who your audience is. Same thing with Google AdWords...but whatever platform you go with...think about where your customers are, not the most popular advertising platform.

designnewb, Sep 1, 2015 IP