1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Selling HTML templates vs. Wordpress Themes

Discussion in 'General Business' started by tinman47, Aug 28, 2015.

Anybody try selling templates and themes on ThemeForest? Did selling HTML templates, or Wordpress themes have more success? Thanks

tinman47, Aug 28, 2015 IP
  2. FarrisFahad

FarrisFahad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I haven't sold any but I read that Wordpress templates are selling like hot pancake.

FarrisFahad, Aug 28, 2015 IP
  3. Linda Hargrove

Linda Hargrove Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I rarely buy HTML templates anymore and I think this is the case for a lot of web designers, especially with the newest changes with WordPress.

I would think that you would have to go through more trouble with HTML templates (encrypting and such) to make sure people don't steal your work. I'm not saying theft doesn't happen with WP themes; it's just harder and the average designer doesn't have the expertise to do it well (myself included).

Just go with a good quality WP theme with the popular features like responsive design, menu locations, and social media integration. imo

Linda Hargrove, Aug 28, 2015 IP
  4. goscript

goscript Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are more likely to sell WP themes than pure html ones.

goscript, Aug 28, 2015 IP
  5. tinman47

tinman47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Just wanted to see some opinions. I would like to enter the market soon, and I wanted to see what you guys think.

tinman47, Aug 28, 2015 IP
  6. dblane4

dblane4 Member

Best Answers:
    You can sell both type of templates. Regarding selling wordpress themes, keep in mind that you have to compete with other best selling wordpress themes on Themeforest.

dblane4, Aug 28, 2015 IP
  7. DPmusicproduction

DPmusicproduction Peon

Best Answers:
    Try Envato market

DPmusicproduction, Aug 29, 2015 IP
  8. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've recently picked up a client who insisted on using html Bootstrap templates from WrapBootstrap.com and I definitely think its worth looking into. The particular theme I bought was only $4 but it sold over 500 times, and the developer has quite a few others for sale and people are definitely buying them.

cronik, Aug 29, 2015 IP
  9. designnewb

designnewb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think there is a bigger market for Wordpress themes now a days but it's also more competitive. We work with a lot of restaurants, and once we explain the major differences between HTML and Wordpress themes, they almost always go with Wordpress. That being said, HTML themes are considerably cheaper than Wordpress themes. If you have a quality team and experience, I would focus on Wordpress...sell them on Themeforest and your own website.

designnewb, Sep 1, 2015 IP
  10. tinman47

tinman47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm thinking of offering Wordpress themes for free for awhile until I get my footing, then I start charging relatively low ($15) and aim at niche markets (Like real estate themes, attorney themes, etc.) instead of generic designs.

tinman47, Sep 1, 2015 IP
  11. iwebsocial

iwebsocial Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is more demand of WordPress theme than HTML themes. so, I would recommend to stick with WordPress theme which converts very well.

iwebsocial, Sep 1, 2015 IP
  12. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've been giving this some thought and I seriously recommend both. WordPress themes are more in demand, but the competition is also insane and you will be competing with some of the best web developers (even teams of developers).

I would get the HTML/Bootstrap template up for sale, and make that into a WordPress theme. Spend time making your own framework which you can use for future WP themes and then repeat. Sell both - why not? If anyone wants to team up on this idea I am interested, I think it can become very profitable very fast if you build something nice.

cronik, Sep 2, 2015 IP
  13. hasibrsohel

hasibrsohel Member

Best Answers:
    I am creating HTML Bootstrap template but I think WordPress themes are much profitable than HTML theme. I am not good with PHP thats why I have to create HTML template :(

hasibrsohel, Sep 3, 2015 IP
  14. thefandango

thefandango Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you will make far more money and build a reputation if you build Wordpress themes personally.

thefandango, Sep 4, 2015 IP
  15. CandleKeep

CandleKeep Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've sold all sorts of templates over the years.

The market for WordPress has definitely exploded over the last 3 years.

My two cents? Focus on WordPress, there are more end users, and "HTML EDITORS" and the like aren't nearly as popular as they were over the last 4 years.

I used to be a good HTML and CSS coder, now I suck as a result of WordPress. It's big business. :D

Just my observations, I wish you luck.

CandleKeep, Sep 5, 2015 IP