1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best paypal account type for Indian freelancer

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by reshma777, Aug 12, 2011.

Hi, I live in India and I have recently got offers to do some projects from outside India as a freelancer. I am not clear about how to accept payments from other countries. I have HDFC bank salary account (of my former employer company) and I do not know whether I can accept payments directly to my account (I also have savings accounts in some regional banks). My friends have suggested me to use paypal for accepting payments but I've heard that paypal is not allowing sending or receiving money to individuals in India. Is it true? I definitely cannot set up a business account as my work is as a freelancer. So, can anyone tell me which type of paypal account( personal, premier or business) is best suited to my needs? If I choose personal or premium, can I receive payments from other countries? I am even ready to setup a personal website to include paypal buttons for receiving payments if needed, but I think it's not worthwhile to do that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..

reshma777, Aug 12, 2011 IP
  2. karthimx

karthimx Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you get lot of transaction then its better to have premium or business account.

Yes you can get payment outside India to your account and you need a Credit Card to verify your paypal account that is very important.

karthimx, Aug 12, 2011 IP
  3. jimdp

jimdp Peon

Best Answers:
    I am also facing same problem , one of my client is not able to send me the payment. The only way of payment for him is paypal, but he is not able to transfer the amount to me as paypal does not allow to india for sending or receiving money.

Please suggest some alternatives

jimdp, Aug 12, 2011 IP
  4. reshma777

reshma777 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply karthimx, but I need some more information. I do not own a credit card, so, is it possible to verify my account by giving my bank details (like a/c number etc.) or through debit card? Also first of all I would like to know whether it is possible for Indians to accept payments through paypal. I am asking so because I heard that paypal has blocked personal payments in India from last year. My payments would not be much.. it could be around Rs. 20000 from each client per month and I may not have more than two clients at a time.
    Is there any other better alternative for paypal? Isn't it possible for the clients to directly transfer money to my HDFC bank account?

reshma777, Aug 13, 2011 IP
  5. Razorz

Razorz Peon

Best Answers:
    @jimdp : That is so not true.

Ok, let me explain the whole thing reshma777. You have an existing HDFC salary account, so I guess you should be having a HDFC credit card as well (platinum one) since HDFC gives free credit card to all salary account holders. If you don't have one by any chance, you can easily apply for one and they will send it to you in 7-10 days. Now, go and open up a Paypal Premium account (I wouldn't suggest Business). Once you are done with opening a Paypal account (make sure you provide everything there and they are correct including your phone number), verify it using your HDFC credit card. (You cannot verify using Debit Card by any means). Once verification is done, link your HDFC bank account with Paypal. Paypal sends two small amounts to your bank account shortly after you put in your bank details, and you'll need to put in those two small amount values in your Paypal account to link it fully. Once these two things are done, you are all set. Now you can easily get payments from your clients using Paypal and transfer that amount (in $) to your HDFC account (fees Rs. 50 for upto Rs. 6999 withdrawal, Rs. 0 for Rs 7000+ withdrawal). But remember, you can only receive money from your clients and that also a maximum of 500$ per transaction and you'll have to withdraw that amount to your bank account within 7 working days (it's a rule). To send money to anyone, you'll have to load your Paypal account with money from your Credit Card. Now, regarding personal payments, you don't need to worry about that as payments will be made by the client as service/goods and a small fee will be charged. In fact, a lot of Paypal accounts are not being frozen if you get too many personal gift payments (fortunately we Indians can never receive personal gift payments).

I guess you got all your answers. If you have any, feel free to PM me or ask here.

Razorz, Aug 13, 2011 IP
  6. reshma777

reshma777 Peon

Best Answers:
    A thousand thanks to you Razorz
    You wrote whatever I needed. I have set up a Premier account in paypal. But there is one correction.. they are verifying our account based on our bank details also (i.e. not only credit cards). They have sent the tiny amounts to my account and I just have to enter those amounts for verification. So I guess, I won't have any further problem. In case I need anything more, I may have to trouble u again :)

reshma777, Aug 13, 2011 IP
  7. ashishpatelcom

ashishpatelcom Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not important to verify your bank account its optional. I have verified only with credit card but i'm withdrawing money from last 2 years. Its just optional. You can withdraw money to any bank account that shares your last name.

ashish patel
    affiliate marketer & blogger

ashishpatelcom, Aug 13, 2011 IP
  8. supersenwins

supersenwins Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The rule is yet to be implemented. So, not to worry, atleast for now!!

@reshma777,

Yes you can get your PP verified by confirming your bank account, but you can not send any payments to others (outside India, say for eg:web hosting) without attaching your credit card. So, its best to add a credit card or if you dont have one, you may attach a VCC.

supersenwins, Aug 13, 2011 IP
  9. Razorz

Razorz Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, you can verify by bank as well. That is in fact the safest way without exposing your Credit Card. I also have the same and have been using Paypal for the last 3 years without any problem. :)

Razorz, Aug 13, 2011 IP
  10. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The Best Paypal account for Indian Freelancer is Premier Paypal account :)

Card, Aug 14, 2011 IP
  11. saikumarjalla

saikumarjalla Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello

I am having some doubts about the paypal.. will you please accept me for 30 minute's .... i would like to ask and clarify my paypal doubts in chat .. btw i am owner of a gpt website sharecashgpt.com .. add me jvssaikumar@gmail.com ..

Best regards,
    Saikumarjalla.

saikumarjalla, Dec 13, 2012 IP
  12. ecchi

ecchi Member

Best Answers:
    The thing about PayPal not accepting personal payments to India is this:
    In most of the world someone can specify that the money sent is a gift, not a payment, and PayPal won't charge for transferring the money. If the recipient is in India money cannot be sent as a gift, but it can be sent as payment for something (does not have to be business, you could, for example be selling your car). The only problem you have is that you will have to pay PayPal fees whatever the transaction type.

ecchi, Aug 20, 2015 IP
  13. Yasin Shaikh

Yasin Shaikh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dont use Paypal as their service is slower than Indian Government. Secondly Paypal charges are very High for Indians. Third it is very easy that you to get cheated by our clients if you use Paypal as a transfer tool.

Use Skrill or I suggest you have HDFC bank account then you wire transfer for bigger amounts

Yasin Shaikh, Aug 22, 2015 IP
  14. website seeker

website seeker Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Yasin, i wanna buy you website and i dont have a paypal accout, because i dont have a credit or debit card. i wanna use skrill so i can link it to my bank account. do you mind???

website seeker, Aug 26, 2015 IP
  15. website seeker

website seeker Peon

Best Answers:
    or escrow.com

website seeker, Aug 26, 2015 IP
  16. Yasin Shaikh

Yasin Shaikh Active Member

Best Answers:
    No problem, contact me on skype yasin.shaikh17

Yasin Shaikh, Aug 26, 2015 IP