1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need some quick advice

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Matthew Sayle, Aug 23, 2015.

While doing my daily keyword research, I found a very low competition keyword with decent search results.

However, the keyword is a brand name in the sports niche.

I have always skipped these in the past, but this one seems exceptionally easy to rank for.

What would you do?

I can create a review website, but I don't know anything about this niche.

Looking for your insight here.

Matthew Sayle, Aug 23, 2015 IP
  2. DravenTaylor

DravenTaylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can come up with three options:
    1) Focus on what you do know and don't do it (not my preference)
    2) Learn the niche as best as you can and write on the topic when you do have the site (To give the niche respect it would take time if you have it to not just learn the niche, but to understand it and the dynamics to the niche and those involved in it)
    3) Find someone that is versed in the niche and have them guest write on your upcoming site. If they know a lot about it they can give insight to the brand name, give both the site and the content credibility, and can also help promote it (by linking and talking about the article they wrote). If it has a positive spin you can also present it to the brand and they will likely mention the article as well.

I would say door number 3 would be my preference, but it is really up to you. Just figured I would throw these ideas your way. Hope it helps. :)

DravenTaylor, Aug 23, 2015 IP
    Matthew Sayle likes this.
  3. TheAnimatorGuy

TheAnimatorGuy Member

Best Answers:
    Seems to me like you have found a treasure keyword. I would create a review site too, and outsourced certain products reviews to skilled article writers whos passion is sport. I love to outsource this kind of work to guys on WarriorForum, because you can choose writers by their reviews. The articles aren't cheap like on iWriter or similiar websites, but they surpass them by quality by a long shot.

TheAnimatorGuy, Aug 24, 2015 IP
  4. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    Before jumping to conclusions and spending time on something make sure that it will worth your while. If you are competing with a well known brand although the competition by Google's standard is not high but it does not necessarily mean that you can succeed. Make sure you also have some complimentary keywords that goes with it, I mean a cluster of keywords is the right way to go not just one. I think if you play your cards right you can make something out of it. Good luck

Mehdi.b, Aug 24, 2015 IP
  5. DravenTaylor

DravenTaylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very well put Mehdi.b! :)

I would also recommend using keyword phrases that have overlapping keywords.

What I had meant with guest writers isn't getting anyone to do it, but getting someone that has weight in the field of the topic and with what they say on the topic. If they are serious about helping they will usually link, mention, or give some form of recognition that the content exists. This gives the content added validity and also is a free form of promotion by them to potential viewers and virtual world metric (search engines and some social medias).

DravenTaylor, Aug 24, 2015 IP
  6. kellz

kellz Member

Best Answers:
    This is what I was going to say. That one keyword alone does not necessarily mean success. But if you add it in with other keywords that pertain to your site, you won't have to rely on just that one keyword to bring you traffic, sales, etc.

kellz, Aug 25, 2015 IP
  7. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I appreciate all of the feedback.

What I do is rank the main keyword, collect data for a couple months, and then sell it.

I usually operate 10 websites at a time, when I sell one then another is born.

Most of my websites do have overlapping keywords and sometimes the traffic generated from those surpasses my main keyword - so awesome advice there.

I can definitely rank the keyword, that's not the issue.

My biggest concern is, what kind of website can I create to avoid trademark infringement?

Matthew Sayle, Aug 25, 2015 IP
  8. kellz

kellz Member

Best Answers:
    Right. I've run into this problem when discovering low competition keywords that are brand names. I suppose that's why they are low competition to begin with. People are afraid of a lawsuit. Like yourself, I would normally skip over them. However, once I stumbled upon one that was too good to pass up. So I added it as a keyword with the rest of the keywords on my site, but I did not put the word anywhere on my site. I just left it as a keyword.

A review site would be a good idea because if you are reviewing products, obviously you would have to put the word on your site and in the keyword section of that page/post so people know what you are reviewing. However, I would avoid using any of the word's trademarked logos on your site, I would just type the word out. I would also review other products in that same niche so it doesn't look so obvious that you are targeting that one word/brand.

The main thing with copyright/trademark infringement is to avoid making it look like you are trying to trick people into thinking your site is affiliated with the brand. People try to redirect traffic and sales away from the real brand with keywords, and that's bad. But with a review site, you can get away with using the brand's name, just not their logos. You can make the review site look even more authentic if you place a link to the brand's website in the review to make it look like you are helping them get traffic and sales.

If you google "Keyword Use and Trademark Infringement" and "Using Trademarks in Meta Tags: Avoid It or Get Permission" you will see 2 good articles on this written by lawyers.

kellz, Aug 25, 2015 IP