1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Culling Small Businesses By Reducing Local 7 Pack to 3

Discussion in 'Google' started by tornado!, Aug 7, 2015.

Google has cut the 7 pack local results to a 3 pack. Any local business owners get knocked out of Google? This change does occur at the same time Google appears to be heavily promoting adwords vouchers. An orchestrated effort to make small business owners join the pay to play program?

tornado!, Aug 7, 2015 IP
  2. Vladislav Vagner

Vladislav Vagner Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    As a user, I think this step is beneficial. As a business owner, I would be kind of pissed. But if you are one of the top 3, then less competition for you :)

Vladislav Vagner, Aug 9, 2015 IP
  3. ichnolite

ichnolite Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's obvious, 4 out of 7 will be knocked out from the local results. And now people have to compete for the three positions and it's quite difficult.

ichnolite, Aug 10, 2015 IP
  4. mascot

mascot Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google Adwords does not bring any good results these days. How many of you will agree with me on this ? Sorry for offending anyone, but you will have to set up Adwords in a very strict budget environment. Otherwise you will end up exhausting your monthly/daily budget in a blink of eye.

mascot, Aug 11, 2015 IP
  5. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think this is a good thing, as they displayed too much before and it wasn't special to rank in the local results. Anyone who tried, most likely made it there. Now, business owners will have to try harder and this might influence them to purchase SEO services.. might be good.. am I wrong for thinking this?

cronik, Aug 15, 2015 IP
  6. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Probably a way for Google to increase advertising revenue. When I launch a new site, I usually sign up to Google Webmaster Tools. And when Google sandboxes the site (buries it in the rankings for no reason), within 2 weeks Google will send me an email trying to get me to buy advertising.

Every move Google makes is about increasing revenue. Not one single thing the company does is for the benefit of internet users. Limiting results, burying sites in the results, etc., all has the effect of killing traffic and the only way to replace that traffic is to pay Google for advertising (which is ridiculously expensive).

billzo, Aug 16, 2015 IP
  7. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is going to be tough for small businesses. Ultimately I think it will result in more small businesses looking to adwords for any kind of visibility. Additionally the pacs that are shown don't have street addresses. There is a call button on mobile and no phone number on desktops. With a call button: the next step is charging for calls.

Some very recent heat map research on the issue showing where people click can be found on the MOZ blog here. If one is looking to combine links and local social visibility here is an alternative to try and get local eyeballs through the web and in person.

This change will be challenging for local businesses

earlpearl, Aug 20, 2015 IP