1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How right it is to create a website to expose scam?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by superprg, Aug 18, 2015.

Is it legal to create a website which exposes scam?

I got scammed from a Business (from a member here on DP)
    After 18 months he changed his domain name too and no response to my emails or messages and all his 6 phone numbers are no more reachable
    Hard to believe that someone in US can do this
    I have all the proofs that he scammed me and have no more fair intention of returning the money and hence I have decided to create a website (like abcscam.com or abcsucks.com) exposing the scam to alert others
    Is it ok to keep his pictures? (from waybackmachine archive to prove that its him)
    Can I be held responsible for defaming?
    Also, if anyone has experience with small claims court in US, please message me, really need help there

superprg, Aug 18, 2015 IP
  2. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    you can't say he broke the law unless you can prove it, coz he can sue you for defamation...

pmf123, Aug 18, 2015 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Here's the deal: Truth is the ultimate defense in American jurisprudence. If you can prove, with incontrovertible evidence, that what you say on a website or elsewhere is absolutely true, then you will not have to worry about losing in court.

However, and this is the rub, there is also nothing that can prevent the other fellow from taking you to court over the website and tying you up with legal bills for years and years. So, you need to decide how badly you want to do this if he turns out to be well-funded and willing to spend a lot of money on a legal team to wear you and your own funds down. Winning "legal" cases often comes down to who has the bigger wallet, unfortunately.

jrbiz, Aug 19, 2015 IP
  4. superprg

superprg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, yes I have all the evidence and he is a member on this forum
    I see websites like paypalsucks etc so I guess I am not doing anything wrong as my intention is to expose him to the public so that he doesn't do it again or it comes in google search results
    He changed his domain name recently(but whois history shows the truth) and opened the same Business under a new domain. He already scammed lot of his customers and got lot of negative reviews on yelp
    And acting very smart by ignoring me now (he always pretends to be too busy all the time )

superprg, Aug 19, 2015 IP
  5. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And the counter point is that if you have no money or live where they can't get your money then you are essentially judgment proof and suing you, or the threat of suing you, has no effect since you have nothing to lose. You could simply ignore a notice from the court, ignore any default judgment, and the "winner" would never collect a dime.

browntwn, Aug 20, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Why? Are there no criminals or scammers in the US?

browntwn, Aug 20, 2015 IP
  7. superprg

superprg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are but legal system here works well I believe(at least for small cases )

superprg, Aug 20, 2015 IP
  8. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Are you retarded? The legal system in the US is one of the most broken ones in modern society :D
    The problem with the US legal system is that there is no discerning what should be allowed into court or not (more or less) - hence you get the incredibly stupid civil lawsuits that keep popping up in the media. Also, one can sue for damages without having to prove any actual damage has happened, and again, if you have the money, you can basically overrun the other party. For criminal cases, the system sort of works, but again, the US penal system is a bit overkill for plenty of issues - again not working very well. Which the state of US prisons should tell you time and time again. Sorry, mate, but the US legal system... is kinda broken.

PoPSiCLe, Aug 20, 2015 IP