1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Digitalpoint issue! this is for you moderators or forum admins

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by guru1surfer, Aug 16, 2015.

Hello,

I have just very recently bacame interactive via forums. Well basically here at digital point and in v7n forums.

Now on both forums my first contribution posts were a list of few high quality sites designers and blogger and extremely benefit from (at least i had).

The first time i opened a thread about the subject, i got a warning that it was not opened in the correct forum (design forum), even though free images can are very connected to design and designers are always on the hunt for high quality photos not only so they can use on their projects, but also can get inspired by them. For example, i get inspired a lot in my design from architecture photos (the geometrical shapes).

So i went ahead and again posted the thread here at the general forums, here is the thread:

Now this thread was opened two days ago and i immediately got a like from a moderator here and all was good, but about an hour ago i got another 2 point warning "Warning Received for Plagiarism / Copyright Infringement" and the thread was deleted!

Seriously!!! how could that be plagiarism!!!

By the way here is the URL for the thread i did on v7n forums. (just to clear that there is no plagiarism)
    http://www.v7n.com/forums/digital-photography/391602-outstanding-free-image-sources-i-use-my-projects-enjoy.html

Please Digitalpoint explain because we try to come here and help you guys with answers to your community but you guys need to be very careful not to take your users for granted and make such mistakes.

Now if i am wrong and you can prove this thread i started is plagiarism, please let me know.

P.S: I am here not to advertise my self such as many does. I am here 100% to contribute, get help when i need and interact with the community. That is all.

Hope you guys look into the issue. Thanks

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    guru1surfer, Aug 16, 2015 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You should ask the moderators to move this to the Support & Feedback section of DP. They will be faster to answer you in that section.

jrbiz, Aug 16, 2015 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Generally speaking, if a new user comes and posts a bunch of links, the rule of thumb usually is that it's deleted because 95/100 times, it's spam.

digitalpoint, Aug 17, 2015 IP
  4. guru1surfer

guru1surfer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ok,
    1. this is clearly not spam
    2. Anyways, i did not received the warning for spam, i received the warning for plagiarism, which is very insulting as I am a contributor at some reputable blogs and i would not want to end up a plagiarizer and copyrights infringer here at digitalpoint, i am here to help you guys and i don't want nothing from your forum.

Just for future reference, spam is most usually when you insert a link to a paid service in an irrelevant setting, not for a totally free product. Would you call someone a spammer if they came and gave you free stuff!! It is like give someone good, and getting crap in return.

Google meet spammers all the time, but they wouldn't just slap everyone based on "Generally speaking".

I totally understand and know you guys want to keep quality for the forum, but don't over do it, or maybe do something more effective about it.

Also talking about spam, what is up with the spamy Ads you guys insert in-between our paragraphs.

Please have this issue fixed for me, or i would just leave. I am contributing significant time here and i would rather spend it writing an article somewhere else.

guru1surfer, Aug 17, 2015 IP
  5. guru1surfer

guru1surfer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Also forgot to mention, if you guys don't want links from new users just disable them all together. Also the links i posted were not active links!!!

6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Beats me, read my signature. Generally all conversation messages are ignored.
    They are disabled, which is why your message looked even more like spam, because you tried to post links and didn't bother to proof read it because it had no links in it, only left with anchor text. :)

upload_2015-8-17_10-51-40.png

7. guru1surfer

guru1surfer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Save your self an embarrassing man
    where did you come up with that snippet.

That was deleted and i never complained about!!

The subject here is not this thread you just posted it is as i quoted before this:

Anyways, i am not going to argue with you further, it is you forum and your call. At the end we internet guys benefit from positive and negative experiences. I will try to benefit from my negative experience here and maybe you will know how i did in the future. Good luck on your "clearly serving special agendas forum"

All the best on your future endeavors :)

8. guru1surfer

guru1surfer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Forgot to mention i wrote this thread which is different from the new thread, the reasons there was not links is because your site did not accept the links and every time i saved and tried to fix it would not. Just saying. Maybe you can see that i did try if you have a user log.

9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Right, what I was saying was that when you suggested that the system doesn't allow new users to post links, it already works that way, that's all.

10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I didn't. It was moved to it's own thread because it was a different issue.

Mkcoy likes this.
  11. guru1surfer

guru1surfer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    So you bothered to reply for the least relevant point and left out the main subject here. That's is simply because you know you are wrong.

It would be very interesting if you could explain to us the definition of spam?

As far as i learned and know, spam is when you post an irrelevant content or link to an irrelevant content. That said, i started the thread so how can i be spamming myself???

Also you never replied to my question about "how your forum is bloated with spam" from you. I understand you need to spam the forum with advertisements, but you don't have to make them even more spamy with inserting them inside our paragraphs and hyperlinks our words. That is full on spam, regardless it is an ad or not.

Here is a differentiation for spam as it seems you are confused what is spam:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Spam

12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Your post was never flagged for spam. If it was, your account would have been instantly banned. It was flagged as being a post not bringing much value. And the original post that had no links (since the system doesn't allow it for new users) didn't bring much value for users. Not because you didn't try to add links, but because the system doesn't allow you to have links.

Spam is defined by the site it relates to. The article you linked to is about spam types on Wikipedia and how *they* define it for editors (that article is intended for editors and what they should consider spam while editing Wikipedia).

A more general article about spam and it's origins (not intended for fighting spam within wikipedia.org) is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spamming

That being said, Wikipedia defines spam pretty similar to how we do. I'd guess if a new editor came along and posted an article that consisted of a bunch of links, they would consider that spam as well. The big factor here is how new the user is.

From their guidelines for editors about external links (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Spam#External_link_spamming):

13. guru1surfer

guru1surfer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Boy you like to argue, don't you!

Yes it was not flagged for spam and i would rather have it so 1,000,000 than being flagged for copyrights and plagiarism, now that is regardless if i am banned or not, i came here to help and interact with the community. FORUMS ARE WORTH NOTHING WITHOUT CONTRIBUTORS.

If you took your time to read the wikipedia link i sent you, you would know why i sent you the spam types (your are using one of them) and not the definition of spam (that one i left for you to explain).

You don't have to respond this time to my thread, because think everything is clear and said. Again this is your forum and your call. I will have my call somewhere else :)

Update:
    It was surly not promoting the sites, how could it be?
    These site are giving and not taking. Also it is interesting to mention just for your knowledge that it is less spam if it is a bunch of links rather than one. Just think about it.

14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Actually I don't... I didn't respond to the issue about spam because it wasn't related to the issue (again, your post was never flagged as spam). But when you asked me to respond to it, I did.

15. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, moderators on here are a bit funny, got a warning yesterday for a thread started in......... july....... are they getting paid on warning given? You guys changed the rules for "the best" yet it's getting worse.

IG2010, Sep 9, 2015 IP
  16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not sure about the thread in question, but if the only issue with the warning was when it was given relative to the date the thread was posted, that would be normal. There is no timeframe that we would allow things to stay if it violated our rules but wasn't caught quickly enough.

digitalpoint, Sep 9, 2015 IP
  17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    @IG2010 sometimes posts get reported and the moderators don't check the date it was posted, we get reports on very, very old posts sometimes. Other times we might be researching a user and see something from another user that isn't right and not pick up that it's old. We're human.

@guru1surfer - if we get a report that you've posted the exact same thing on many forums then you'll get a copyright infringement warning - especially if the timestamps on those sites show that the dp thread is newer. Once you've posted your content belongs to the site you have posted on. So if you post on V7N and then post here then V7N can claim we've stolen their content.

New users often post lists of sites and if we go through the list we'll find at least one of them is the user's own site - happens so often I'd put money on it. I don't have time, and I doubt the other mods do, to trawl through these lists to find out if you are the rare exception.

In addition, those lists aren't usually the launch point for a discussion but a blatant attempt to get "likes" and the mods get a bit world weary.

Take heart that you need 5 or 10 warnings before you get a temporary ban, most warnings expire as single, lonely warnings and are really just a mechanism for mods to give feedback - because they let us send a message and delete the content in one go.

sarahk, Sep 9, 2015 IP