1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Fake Direct Traffic - Someone is spamming my site

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by Gazgolter, Jul 29, 2015.

Hi, for about 2 years, someone is being bombarding our site with fake direct traffic. It is coming from US, different cities and states. Impossible to track. If affects our data numbers and bounce rate. Does it effect our SEO? What if Google see the bounce rate and based on this data rates our site's rankings? Please confirm! I am not sure why they doing this to our site. We also found that someone copied our site and placed it to another domain in china.

Acquisition-Overview---Google-Analytics.jpg

Gazgolter, Jul 29, 2015 IP
  2. aadialex

aadialex Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Same problem with my Site also they are some social Spammer like fb, g+ share buttons .The only Solution is that check which type of sites spam you then create ht.access file and banned their IP immediately.or do Filter spam traffic manually in Google Analytics.

aadialex, Jul 30, 2015 IP
  3. Slincon

Slincon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The good news is there's been no concrete proof that your site-based stats (If you're using GA) affect your rankings. However, there's speculation that if a user abandons/exits back to the search results it may affect your search rank. It's bizarre anyone would want to send you large volumes of fake direct traffic. Add secondary dimension of hostname and see what's in there. If it's blank or doesn't have your domain, you can add a filter to remove this traffic from a view.

Slincon, Aug 1, 2015 IP
  4. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That's a tough one.

Is it Wordpress? You could use Wordfence to try and trap the offending IP address and block it.

Matthew Sayle, Aug 1, 2015 IP
  5. MayurKawale

MayurKawale Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes my site is in wordpress & the same issue....i.e the traffic from unknown domain or direct traffic. Because of this my site's bounce rate is increasing...... can we stop such spammy traffic...by nay how......

MayurKawale, Aug 6, 2015 IP
  6. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey guys, this is a common issue and it happens to many websites. The first thing is to find them and block them through HTACCESS but they will always find other ways to do it.
    Interestingly enough my colleague just wrote a piece about Referral spams in Analytics, this helps you to understand and block them through your analytics to see the actual data. check it out here
    If you are using WordPress also consider spam block, Wordfence and Akismet to control spams

Mehdi.b, Aug 9, 2015 IP
  7. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can try to enable filter spam bots on the admin section of your analytics, it helps my site lessen spam traffic.
    I'm sure it will help yours too.

Patricia Ann Lee, Aug 9, 2015 IP