1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please Help,a kind of customised search.

Discussion in 'Programming' started by invierna, Jul 30, 2015.

Hello all. Sorry I don't know where to introduce myself, so for now will just ask.

I have a website where among the pages, I have one listing suppliers links for the hobby related to the website. i put links to all the suppliers, I could find on that page.
    Now I would like to add a custom search just to that page so that lets say someone is searching for "goats milk," (this is just an example) they type it in the search, and the search is taking place only on the links listed on this page, not the whole wide web, and a new page open's with only the suppliers who do sell 'goats milk.'

Basically I want the search to be only thru the websites I have posted on that page.

How can I do that? Which programming language is ideal for this? Could I use google's custom search for this...and if I don't which programming language would help me achieve this?
    So sorry for the long first post, but I had ,eft programming some 8 years ago, and remember almost nothing, (and boy do things change!) and now I'm excited about taking it up again, and don't mind challenging myself a bit with this.
    Thanks in advance to any kind soul which will help me with this.

invierna, Jul 30, 2015 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    A Google Custom Search should be able to do this - have a look here: https://developers.google.com/custom-search/docs/annotations?hl=en
    If not, your best bet (and probably a lot quicker) would be to have a database of content from each website (if possible) - ie, you're not searching the pages directly, you're searching info you've stored about each website. That way, you could have free-search, categories (tags) etc. that a user could chose from. If this is feasible or not depends on several factors, among them if there are a lot of sites, whether or not the sites provide some sort of listing for you to download, or if you have to do this completely manually (not so bad the first time around, but constant upkeep will be tedious).

PoPSiCLe, Jul 31, 2015 IP
  3. invierna

invierna Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the reply PoPSiCLe! I much appreciate it.

i was going to go to the content database route, but it was already taking long, and trying to do it in many languages was slowly becoming a headache.

Save re-remembering JavaScript and all I will try the Google custom search.

Thanks again for the reply! I much appreciate it.

invierna, Jul 31, 2015 IP