1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Error on setting Google Analytics Web Property ID

Discussion in 'Better Analytics' started by Wizard65, Jul 24, 2015.

Hi,
    I'm trying to setup better analytics on a site with subdomains. In order to do that, I followed instructions on this help page: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en

On my main site (domain.com) the plugin setups and run smoothly, but every time I try to set it up on a subdomain using the same property ID, I get an error "pick a value not less than 1" (not sure if those are the exact words as I get the error message in spanish).

I used the "Auto configure" button on one of the subdomains and it created a new property ID, but again, every time I press "Save Changes", I get the same error.

Any ideas on this issue?

Wizard65, Jul 24, 2015 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It really shouldn't matter if you use the same property ID on multiple sites. Can you post a screenshot of the exact error you are getting by chance?

Also, that page you gave is for cross-domain tracking (pretty rare you would actually want to track domain1.com and domain2.com on the same web property). If it's the same sub-domain (on the same domain), you don't need to do anything special.

digitalpoint, Jul 26, 2015 IP
  3. Wizard65

Wizard65 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm using the information on the help page mentioned above because I want visits to subdomains tracked as if they were different sites. I'm rather newbie on analytics so maybe I'm doing something wrong. Here is the screen capture you asked for. The meaning of the message is: "choose a value not less than 1".
    Have a good day.
    IMG20150728_002_b.jpg

Wizard65, Jul 28, 2015 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That's a browser input validation message (it's not coming from the plugin directly). But the only thing that should trigger a message like that would be the setting on the "Advanced" tab. Specifically if the "Sample Rate" is set to something less than 1 (or nothing). In *theory*, it shouldn't even be possible to have been set to 0 or nothing unless something internal to WordPress wiped out the Better Analytics settings since it sets it to 100 by default when you install the plugin.

Either way, check that setting and make sure it's set to something greater than 0 (it defaults at 100).

digitalpoint, Jul 28, 2015 IP
  5. Wizard65

Wizard65 Peon

Best Answers:
    It was that you said.
    Problem solved!!
    Thanks a lot!

P.S. FYI, the plugin original setting of 100% was kept on the main site, but wiped to zero on the subdomains. I've set it back to 100% and worked like charm.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    Wizard65, Aug 3, 2015 IP
    digitalpoint likes this.
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Good to hear. I've added an internal mechanism that will be part of the next version that should prevent that from happening in the future.

digitalpoint, Aug 3, 2015 IP