1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Developing a tutoring website--bit by bit.

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by pwhite4541, Jul 28, 2015.

I tutor chemistry and all levels of mathematics through differential equations. I've been tutoring privately for just over six years and I'd like to begin tutoring online, using a website of my own.

I want to do as much of the work developing the website and it's features as possible. I'm generally comfortable with HTML/CSS but I know nothing about scripting languages/programming, so that introduces a huge issue since I want the website to be dynamic and engaging while doing much of the work myself.

There's a lot I hope to ultimately offer in terms of features on the website but right now I'd like to begin with the features and characteristics below:

1. An admin panel that's barebones but useful

2. Student-login capability

3. An internal instant messaging/chat feature with file sharing

4. Messaging system (sort of like e-mail)

5. High-quality screensharing/video chat capability (extremely important)

6. Payment processing that does not require leaving the website (I am already accepting payments online through paypal and stripe, but for something different)

7. Good coding/programming that works well and doesn't unnecessarily impede future development of the overall site

8. A visually appealing overall design that is uniform and seamless (as much as possible)

There are templates for sale that more or less deliver what I'm looking for but templates seem to be generally frowned upon. As a side note, I think that using WordPress may not be ideal for what I have in mind when I consider the future development of the website and new features.

Many individual features (like the chat feature) are offered as a service or type of plugin from a third party and can be can be integrated into the website, but I've seen a lot of what's out there and I'd prefer to avoid it for one reason or another.

However, I'm open to considering services (like e-lecta --> https://www.e-lecta.com/default.asp ) that allow me to integrate their virtual classroom into my website, for a reasonable fee; the only minor drawback I see with integrating the software into the website is the possibility of the software being jarringly different from other site aspects, in terms of appearance and overall feel.
    --------------------------
    First, I'd like some suggestions or guidance as to what might be the best, most cost-effective way to produce this website. Should I scour the web for the bits and pieces that I need and fine tune them, outsourcing the work to a freelancer when necessary?

Secondly, I'd like to learn more about the programming side of things to be more involved with the development of my website and to have a full perspective of how it actually works. I found a lot of different resources from books to online courses but I'm unsure of which is the most sound way to begin learning, since I'd like to avoid picking up any bad habits and wasting my time. I also have no clue which language to start with.

Thanks for any input!

pwhite4541, Jul 28, 2015 IP
  2. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    Most of what you are describing is going to be heavily dependent on server side scripting. I would suggest you start by getting at least a working understanding of PHP and SQL. HTML and CSS only give you about 20% of the skills required to do what you describe. You need to understand a little about the other components so that you can evaluate the bits an pieces you might want to add. Be warned 90% of offerings on the internet both paid and free are absolute trash and worth less than nothing.

If you can hook up with a developer willing to work with you and help you develop your own skills along the way, then you will be on your way to success; however you want to work with a real professional developer who actually has a track record, if they suggest mostly 3rd party plugins or bloated 3rd party garbage like Wordpress; walk away. Professional developers actually write code and may sometimes enhance high quality widgets others supply, but they do not lock into the restricted, unsecure, bloated junk that the wannabes use.

From the sound of it you have the right idea about using a freelancer and learning as much as you can, and the approach of building one piece at a time will probably give you what you need; but you are going to find there is a lot of work involved to do it right.

COBOLdinosaur, Jul 28, 2015 IP
  3. pwhite4541

pwhite4541 Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks for your reply. I'm definitely up for the challenge and work to get it done right. I'll keep your advice in mind.

pwhite4541, Jul 29, 2015 IP