1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rather have Cheaper Content? Or High Quality Content?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by LindseyInteractive, Jul 27, 2015.

Hello Guys,

We are wanting to do a bit of a focus type group here. We are in the process of re-branding our Digital Marketing agency and we are looking to overall our "Content Writing" services.

So, we are wanting to ask the following question and get some feedback. For your participation in this focus group, we will be happy to give you a 10% Discount on our content once we get it relaunched.

1. Would you prefer cheaper content (say $0.0175 per word), all American content, but hasn't passed through an editor, so may contain a couple errors that need to be readjusted (no misspellings or anything, just maybe vocabulary, etc).

or

2. Would you prefer to pay a bit more (say $0.025 or $0.03 per word), all American content, that has went through a high quality American editor/proofreader and is high quality, 100% error free.

Each of these have their own benefits (cheaper prices on option 1, 100% hands free and no involvement in option 2), so we are curious which one business owners and entrepreneurs would rather have.

Thanks again for your feedback and again, for your participation in this focus group, we will provide 10% off coupons off ANY of our content services.

LindseyInteractive, Jul 27, 2015 IP
  2. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Of course, high quality comes with a price so it is understandable.
    And if I were to choose, I will choose 2.

Patricia Ann Lee, Jul 27, 2015 IP
  3. WLEadmin

WLEadmin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Cheap content is a false economy: the ROI sucks, people hate reading it and it damages your brand.

However, the lack of grammar errors in an article is no guarantee of quality. Just because it's error-free does not mean it's useful, informative or even interesting.

As an aside, if your content quality is the same as on the "Order here" page of your site (or elsewhere for that matter), I wouldn't buy at the higher price. There are too many errors and I would expect my ordered content to show similar issues.

WLEadmin, Jul 28, 2015 IP
  4. LindseyInteractive

LindseyInteractive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Please continue to provide feedback, we are looking to get as much feedback as possible.

WLEadmin, in response to your question, we are about to redo all of our site content and everything, as we are adopting some new policies and things, this is why we are raising this question and trying to engage our customers and get the feedback.

LindseyInteractive, Jul 28, 2015 IP
  5. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Normally, this question would be quite absurd. It would sound like - do you prefer to give $5 for a Happy Meal or $1 to eat out of the trash. Doesn't really compare well, does it. Any sane man will go for quality...

Looking at your example however, I don't really think it comes down to quality vs price. The prices you are quoting are both on the low side, without any significant difference between them (same goes for content, if we are just talking about a few unedited errors here and there). $0.02-0.03c/wo is still on the low side, especially if you consider the needs of some specific sectors, where the supply is not that big and quality is the main requirement.

In my mind both option sound pretty much similar but both will have its own following. So why not trying a test period where you offer both as a separate service. The client will decide if they want to be involved in the process or just get the final product (though if it were me - I'd check it anyways, regardless of the guarantee). If one service gets you a significant number of clients compared to the other - just drop the obsolete one ;)

Rado_ch, Jul 28, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. MichelleMu

MichelleMu Peon

Best Answers:
    The internet is so full of crappy content. I personally would prefer to pay slightly more for quality content. There are thousands on thousands of websites and blogs with content that is mediocre. That's not what will get you ahead, not anymore anyway. Nowadays, you need to prove legitimacy online and the best way to do that is to ensure your content is high quality.

MichelleMu, Jul 29, 2015 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Note that my "day job" is as a senior sales and marketing executive in the U.S. I would NEVER buy any content that has the slightest potential to damage my company's brand. Price is a secondary consideration for me, in that regard.

In fact, a vendor leading with price as a main feature will not even get a hearing from me. Tell me why you are particularly suited to help my business in my markets and why your content will "wow" my prospects/customers if you want to get my attention. Saving me a penny per word does not even register with me.

jrbiz, Jul 29, 2015 IP
  8. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I guess you should instead ask the question -

"Would you rather have high quality traffic to your website - or no traffic at all?"

Matthew Sayle, Jul 29, 2015 IP
  9. PatrickReeves

PatrickReeves Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with WLEadmin. I would rather pay for content focused on quality and user friendly. Small grammatical errors can be found on just about every site, even the biggest ones. So paying double just to make sure a comma is in the right spot doesnt sound appealing to me if it doesnt guarantee the content is unique, engaging and interesting.

PatrickReeves, Aug 3, 2015 IP
  10. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah OP, I think this is a no brainer.

Mkcoy, Aug 3, 2015 IP
  11. Crimebuster_of_the_Sea

Crimebuster_of_the_Sea Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If I was you, I'd consider hiring an editor anyway. Almost every client at one point will send something back to you for an edit, and even if you state 'no edits' on your site, I'd be surprised if you got away with this. What are you going to do if someone sends a piece of content back saying it's not good enough, or they want the typos cleaning up? Why not pay the editor, and start off strong in the first place?

Crimebuster_of_the_Sea, Aug 4, 2015 IP
  12. cwvps1

cwvps1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would definitely go for more quality option and leave no room for mistakes.

cwvps1, Aug 5, 2015 IP
  13. Sean BizProfits

Sean BizProfits Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    High quality content all the way. There is nothing worse than boring, uninformative, and poorly written content - especially on your main website. Think of it as an investment in boosting your brand's overall reputation. If you are having financial concerns, you can always edit in-house with someone who is a native English speaker.

Sean BizProfits, Dec 8, 2015 IP