1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What does double means?

Discussion in 'C#' started by Megamon, Sep 13, 2014.

I am learning Primitive Data Types and i came up to double so would someone explain what double actually do?

And by double i mean :
    double foo = 3.14;
    Code (markup):
    or what's the difference between floats and double? i got a little bit confused and i would really appreciate it if you could give a hand of help.

float foo = 3.14f;
    Code (markup):

Megamon, Sep 13, 2014 IP
  2. strike2867

strike2867 Member

Best Answers:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5098558/float-vs-double-precision

strike2867, Sep 13, 2014 IP
  3. Taruna P

Taruna P Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The main difference between the two is in the size of the numbers that they hold. For float its up to 7 digits number. For doubles its up to 16 digits. To be more precise, here's the official size:

float: 1.5 × 10-45 to 3.4 × 1038
    double: 5.0 × 10-324 to 1.7 × 10308

Taruna P, Sep 19, 2014 IP
    Megamon likes this.
  4. spicyhost

spicyhost Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    float: .net framework is single, bytes : 4 , Values: Approx. ±1.5 x 10-45 to ±3.4 x 1038 with 7 significant figures
    Double : .net framework is double, bytes::8, values : Approx. ±5.0 x 10-324 to ±1.7 x 10308 with 15 or 16 significant figures

spicyhost, Sep 19, 2014 IP
    Megamon likes this.
  5. Megamon

Megamon Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    thank you very much for your help guys i really appreciate that:)

Megamon, Sep 22, 2014 IP
  6. zinist

zinist Banned

Best Answers:
    1)Double hold more value than Float
    2)Double takes 15-16 digit where as float approximately takes 7 digit
    3)if you want check what is maximum size of double write this code in console application
    double d =0;
    console.writeline("Max value ={0}",Double.MaxValue)
    console.writeline("Max value ={1}",Double.MinValue)
    4)you can check same with float

zinist, Jun 27, 2015 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That's a very... convoluted way to differ FLOAT and DOUBLE. They do exactly the same thing, it's just that DOUBLE is exactly that - double precision. I recommend just reading the specs, for instance here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/floating-point-types.html and here: http://code.rohitink.com/2013/06/12/mysql-integer-float-decimal-data-types-differences/
    Neither is good for financial content (then one should use DECIMAL), and both FLOAT and DOUBLE can be set up when creating the column, with how many digits should be allowed before and after the decimal point.

PoPSiCLe, Jun 27, 2015 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Actually @PoPSiCLe, decimal is HORRIBLE for tracking financial if taxes are involved -- see "rounding bug"... NOT that floats are much better...

I find it a laugh when C syntax languages say "float" when they mean "single" . It's like going into a restaurant where they only have two sizes, medium and large.

It's also a little funny how few programmers even grasp how it works, and still THINK in decimal even when the computer doesn't. It comes down to how many BITS are assigned to what task:

https://standards.ieee.org/findstds/standard/754-1985.html

It's pretty simple:
    Single: (per IEEE 754-1985)
    1 bit sign
    8 bits exponent
    23 bits data

Double: (per IEEE 754-1985)
    1 bit sign
    11 bits exponent
    52 bits data

Another common one is "extended" -- it's 80 bit, was created for internal use on the 8087 but is accepted as a standard for high precision.
    1 bit sign
    15 bits exponent
    64 bits data

Of course it's REAL fun when you start switching between languages and some use a 6 bit float (called a "REAL"), processors of different families that went and used their own proprietary formats.

Or arbitrary precision numbers, where a 16, 32 or 64 bit number is used for the float, separate from a data storage that could be ANY length -- quite often done using BCD instead of byte-packed binary. Some languages have it built in like LISP, Smalltalk and Haskell. Java has bigDecimal and bigInteger so you can go any length as either... laughably C# only has bigInteger with no floating point equivalent. :(

Then there's the REAL fun when computers store irrational numbers as fractions. See the 384 bit system used on some Cray supercomputers; 128 bits of integer, 128 bits of numerator and 128 bits of denominator, with a hardware reducer for 2, 3, 5, 7 and 11.

I've been a little surprised that we don't see more fractional systems used on todays hardware; integer math is so much simpler than floating point in terms of implementing it on silicon, that say... 128 bits of 64:32:32 would blow floating point out of the water on speed whilst still having many MANY times higher precision, many "irrational" numbers being able to be absolutely stated. See 0::1/3 or 0::2/7 -- try stating those as absolutes with floating point.

In most fractional computer systems you use a double colon to separate the integer component from the fraction. Nope, I've NEVER programmed in Ada... that's my story and I'm shticking to it!

deathshadow, Jul 21, 2015 IP
  9. jaguar34

jaguar34 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    With Float maybe you enter values in % and Double is for storing more value and takes memory space, if you want to make programs small then may see some specs like bigger data type makes program runs slow in CPU when working with real world programs and developing Softwares for MAC/PC etc.

jaguar34, Mar 2, 2016 IP
  10. Amelie001

Amelie001 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    double is a data type which can store decimal values.

Amelie001, May 20, 2016 IP