1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Most Common Sales Objections and Their Solutions

Discussion in 'General Business' started by pretty10, Jul 19, 2015.

Hello Everyone!

When you're trying to make sales (whether it is through cold calling, freelance sites or other methods), you might have noticed the "excuses" made by customers. Those "excuses" can be considered "sales objections".

Remember, each business is different and each customer is different. The objections change from customer to customer. You might not be able to use the same trick against each and every customer. Understand your customer’s behavior as well as their position or situation prior to applying any tricks.

The right strategies (may be with your communication skills, credibility, negotiation skills, etc.) can help you win customers. At the same time, wrong strategies can break your business.

Here are the most common sales objections some of my friends and I typically hear from our customers and some solutions we’ve tried to tackle those objections.

#1 Price – “Your price is too high!”

If you’re charging high, there must be a reason for that. Perhaps you add more value to your products/services or it is high quality. Tell your customers why you’re charging this price. Show the “unique value” of your product/service instead of trying to push your prices down.

#2 Sharp Rejection – “I’m not interested!”

Here you need to understand the reason why they are rejecting your offer. Try to make them interested in talking with you and get the communication going instead of trying for a “hard sell”. One they are interested, you can pitch the benefits and features of your product/service.

#3 Late Decision – “I’ll take my decision after checking the quotes received from others.”

When it comes to such buyers, you need to make sure that you’re standing out from the competition. Give them a reason to purchase from you – you can raise kind of urgency like limited time offers, special bonuses etc.

#4 Time – “I just don’t have the time right now, come back later.”

If your customers don’t have the time right now, are you sure they will have time later? You don’t want your customers go, so you need to make sure that your conversation is worth their time. Tell how you’re going to help them instead of being salesy.

#5 External Input – “I need to discuss with my partner before taking a purchase decision.”

In this case, try to arrange a joint meeting with your customer and his counterparts if possible so that you convince them both. Or you can also tell that you’re ready to answer the questions or concerns of his counterpart.

#6 Complacency – “I’m happy with the current product/service I use.”

To deal with this objection, you need to prove why your product/service is better than the one they use right now. Show the case studies, client testimonials etc. and try to increase their confidence. If possible, share the success stories of their competitors who have used the same product/service.

#7 Fear of Change – “I’m afraid, but I don’t want to change this product right now.”

This sales objection is similar to complacency. Here the problem is your customer’s fear to make a change. Give them your best support to remove that fear! Show that there is no risk involved with your product or service.

#8 Unawareness – “I haven’t heard about your product before, it’s quite strange to me!”

Here you need to teach them a bit more about your product or service, your working procedure etc. Convince them why your product/service is useful and how it can help them out.

#9 Competition – “I would have accepted your proposal, but sadly I already have a contract with another guy.”

If your customer is already dealing with one of your competitors, you need to show them why you’re better. Highlight your uniqueness that nobody else has and anticipate them to know more about your offer.

#10 Trust – “Let me think about it.”

Building trust is really important when it comes to business. Make them feel you’re confident, consistent and honest with your claims as well as offers. Show some case studies, recommendations, client testimonials etc. Plus, you can offer something like lifetime guarantee, 30 days money back guarantee, replacement guarantee etc.

Hope these are helpful!

What are the objections you usually hear from your prospects/customers and the solutions you’ve implemented?

Feel free to share.

Thank you very much!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    pretty10, Jul 19, 2015 IP
  2. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is no value in listing objections. There's value in listing how to overcome objections... What's the point of your post?

NetStar, Jul 19, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe it is not bad to know what objections are, and only then you would be able to overcome them. Although industry by industry it is different and
    you cannot generalize them to every business's sales pitch

Mehdi.b, Jul 19, 2015 IP
    pretty10 likes this.
  4. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok let's list random objections with no point of overcoming them and waste our times...

NetStar, Jul 19, 2015 IP
  5. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    As I mentioned before there would be no point in doing so unless you know which industry and the exactly as you say coming up with a solution
    rather than pointless listing

Mehdi.b, Jul 19, 2015 IP
  6. pretty10

pretty10 Member

Best Answers:
    Dear NetStar, Please read that post carefully. "What are the other objections you usually hear from your prospects/customers?" I don't understand why there is no value in listing objections. Each customer is different so does their objection. There are hundreds of thousands of objections when it comes to sales process. If people had solutions to all those objections, then every company could turn all of their prospects into paying customers, you get it?

Like Mehdi.b said, each industry is different so you cannot generalize them to every business's sales pitch. It's the duty of a business owner to find what works for him best.

pretty10, Jul 19, 2015 IP
  7. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's the thing tho - look at the bolded parts and see how controversial that all sounds. We are not trying to be mean to you but some threads really are pointless to begin with and just listing objections will not help anyone with anything. And if there was a sure way to counter each single objection, someone would have already written a guide about that. Truth is that not just each industry is different, each and every client is different and what works for one might completely backfire with another one that had the same objection. Psychology plays a big role here imho and understanding your prospects project/needs/requirements/concerns is just the starting point of it all. ;)

Rado_ch, Jul 19, 2015 IP
    jrbiz and NetStar like this.
  8. pretty10

pretty10 Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

As per your suggestions, I've edited the original post and included some solutions. Let me know what do you think.

Thanks you :)

pretty10, Jul 20, 2015 IP
  9. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nah.. still pointless... You're methods to over come objections don't overcome them at all.

You need to list common objections and WORD TRACKS that can be used to over come them. Telling someone to tell a customer something interesting if they aren't interested is not a word track...

NetStar, Jul 20, 2015 IP
  10. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    To be fair with the guy, some of the objection counters DO make sense (yeah, the one with the sharp rejection is not one of them) and I have used some of them myself. I think structured like that, the thread CAN be helpful, so by all means - go ahead with it ;)

Rado_ch, Jul 20, 2015 IP
  11. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had a funny one yesterday, after working on a quote and estimate for 4 websites with everything included, the guy called me and said, your design is good, price is good, SEO strategies are really interesting but my boss's son is a developer :eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

Mehdi.b, Jul 20, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  12. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    Heard that one before, few times actually. Can't really help but laugh from the inside and calmly expect them to return a couple of months later with their tail between their legs. Self-proclaimed webmasters and SEO's are so many nowadays that they gotta gather at one place and start their own country. Boy what fun would that be ;)

Rado_ch, Jul 21, 2015 IP
    Mehdi.b likes this.