1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website Menu

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Jordan Roper, Jul 17, 2015.

Hi there,

I'm using Wordpress in order to make a new site and the services menu is really long and goes past the bottom of my screen. I was just wondering if there was a way for you to be able to have two columns?

Look forward to hearing back.

Thanks,

Jordan

Jordan Roper, Jul 17, 2015 IP
  2. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes an with a link so we can see what you have we might be able to make suggestion. As far a successfully solving the problem that already has two strikes against it. First of all you are using Wordpress which means you are on the road to a bloated mess unles you are a gifted developer. Second a menu that large is a huge mistake from a usability standpoint, you need to re-think the design. The third strike would be that you are using one of the thousands of junk themes or plugins to do the menu in which case you have struck out be fore you even begin to address the problem.

COBOLdinosaur, Jul 17, 2015 IP
  3. cam1111

cam1111 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Jordan,

WordPress is actually really great, so don't worry there :)

This menu plugin may actually give you what you want:

http://www.maxmegamenu.com/

https://wordpress.org/plugins/megamenu/

It allows you to create multi-column menus, fly-out menus, etc.

We're looking into a menu issue ourselves and happened upon that plugin so thought we'd send it your way :)

Good luck!

cam1111, Jul 17, 2015 IP
  4. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    Which is why about have the questions that get post in this topic are because some load of crap wordpress site is broken, or won't allow a simple change or just got trashed by a small change.

If you look in the dictionary for the word crap you will see the Wordpress logo next to it. In the hands of a very gifted developer it can produce slightly better than mediocre results. For everyone else it is worthless unless you want to just plugin code pre-written and never change anything. For professionals where time is money WP is a negative because it takes 5 times as much work to maintain over time compared to custom which takes a little longer to develop, but is a lower cost solution for the long term. However WP does have some appeal to those who lack the skills required to write their own code or are just looking for lazy shortcuts with no real concern about technical quality.

COBOLdinosaur, Jul 20, 2015 IP
    deathshadow, malky66 and Phil S like this.
  5. Phil S

Phil S Member

Best Answers:
    This:
    In my experience every single wordpress user either couldn't care less about quality or was lied to by those who don't know better but claim to be "professionals".

Phil S, Jul 20, 2015 IP
    deathshadow likes this.
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    ... or by the snake oil barkers who are fully aware of the massive shortcomings and ridiculous security flaws, but go ahead and scam people into using it anyways.

Really though, if you have so many links that you need mega-menu type dropdown rubbish, there is typically something disastrously WRONG with the site. It's called "wall of links" and can lead to a symptom called "link overload" where you present so many options, it becomes difficult for anyone to find anything... aka "the forest for the trees" scenario.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    deathshadow, Jul 20, 2015 IP
  7. James Horner

James Horner Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Adjust min-width to be greater than your widest element from left column....
    see this example:
    #menu-basic-menu > li:nth-child(2n+1) {
    clear: left;
    min-width: 150px;

James Horner, Jul 23, 2015 IP
  8. Jordan Roper

Jordan Roper Member

Best Answers:
    I have installed this plugin, but I can't seem to find out how to make two colums? Hope you can assist.

Jordan Roper, Jul 23, 2015 IP
  9. Lipipaliwal

Lipipaliwal Banned

Best Answers:
    I really agree with your post, as after reading your post I come to know that you have provided the great way for website menu.

Lipipaliwal, Jul 24, 2015 IP