1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My CTR is really low, any tips??

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by kenny1, Jul 5, 2015.

Hey guys. For some reason my CTR is really low. MY CPC is really high because of my niche, but my CTR over the past 7 years has only been an average of 0.56%. Last month I had 2 days of 2% CTR and made over $200 each day (I didn't change anything though). Could someone check out my website and give me some tips on how I can increase my CTR? Thanks, I appreciate it!

The website is http://homesoftherich.net

kenny1, Jul 5, 2015 IP
  2. mahnazkut

mahnazkut Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your site looks great, but it naturally receives traffic for images and just for curious people , I guess. You can't expect much higher CTR but 0.56 is very very low, you could try put ads in the middle of the page instead of sidebar. Also try "image only" because your site is visual.

For many years, My usual CTR is %20 - %30 and RPM is $250+ (some site does more than 1K RPM ) but my traffic is very targeted with SEO.

mahnazkut, Jul 5, 2015 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    From where I'm from 0.56 is below average, but not horrifically so since the average is 0.7%... though admittedly my source is a bit questionable:

http://www.cracked.com/video_19202_8-reasons-advertising-doesnt-work-anymore.html

But I consider Cracked more reputable than most online advertising scams. Yes, I said SCAMS.

Now, NOT that I'm seeing any ads for you to have click-throughs on (duh, adblock -- anyone not running one is probably too stupid to be allowed to even have an Internet connection), but the site does have it's share of woes. Illegible absurdly undersized fixed metric fonts, broken attempt at being responsive, questionable colour contrasts (black on dark orange), gibberish use of numbered headings (how can you have H2 without a H1 for them to be the starts of subsections of, much less are all those H3 like "Subscribe to us" REALLY subsections of "$9 Million Modern Waterfront Home In Marina Del Rey, CA" -- that's what a H3 MEANS!)... and of course all that's before talking about how utterly and completely painful it is to watch load at a minute PLUS... You'd almost think it was an absurd 10.4 megabytes in 110 separate files... when I'm seeing maybe a dozen content images and 10k of plaintext, for a page that probably should not be breaking the half a megabyte mark in two dozen files. The TWENTY TWO separate CSS files totalling almost a megabyte, much less the 810k in 40 separate files of scripttardery SCREAMS that whoever built that site has no damned business making websites!

See idiocy like this:
    <div class="base-box blog-post default-blog-post bp-vertical-share  post-88169 post type-post status-publish format-standard has-post-thumbnail hentry category-united-states-mansions tag-basketball-court tag-billiards-room tag-gym tag-home-theater tag-north-carolina tag-swimming-pool tag-tennis-court tag-wine-cellar" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Article">
    Code (markup):
    or this:
    <body class="home-page home blog both-sidebars-all both-sidebars fade-imgs-in-appear navigation_highlight_ancestor ticker_has_live_time time_in_twelve_format both-sides-true no-js">
    Code (markup):
    If whoever you are getting code from doesn't know what's wrong with that, fire their ass... and do the world a favor and chop off their hands so they can't type while you're at it! Endless pointless classes for NOTHING, endless pointless DIV for NOTHING, static scripting and static style in the markup, it's so chock full of developer ineptitude it's a miracle the site even works!

More than anything, I'd say the painfully slow pageload and accessibility issues are your greatest woe -- I'd be shocked, SHOCKED if you had less than 99% bounce from people not even waiting for the page to finish loading.

I would be tossing that entire disaster in the trash and starting over from scratch -- it is basically DOOMED to failure in it's current form.

deathshadow, Jul 5, 2015 IP
  4. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As for the coding...aren't you using WordPress with themes and plugins?

NetStar, Jul 5, 2015 IP
  5. kenny1

kenny1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Damn Deathshadow, harsh....lol. Yes, I'm using a Wordpress theme....Also, my bounce rate is under 5%....

kenny1, Jul 6, 2015 IP
  6. tricks2

tricks2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello kenny1,

I checked your site, very nice and looks great.

Basically i am not well knowledge in CTR, but in my knowledge i will give you few suggestions that will definitely work for you.

Just few minor changes on ads placement.
    Home page:
    1) You need to reduce the header ad height, it is incredibly occupied the too much of space in header
    2) You always place the ads on sidebar on home page, alternatively place one unit of ad below the home page slider,
    3) Your site is mobile responsive. so, you need to place the ad on mobile devices seperately.
    4) Now a days google deeply watch the site how they approach the smartphone users. So you need to publish the ad every 3-4 post on mobile device(user responsive ad unit)this will automatically adjust the appearance.
    5) Move the "FOLLOW HOMES OF THE RICH" to below the sidebar ad.

You can make these changes, this will grow the ctr rating then come with me, i will give you the guidance for rest of the pages. :)

I hope this will work for you.

tricks2, Jul 6, 2015 IP
  7. kenny1

kenny1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Still under 0.5%. Anybody else have some good advice? I brought the right sidebar ad to the top.

kenny1, Jul 8, 2015 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    First off, sorry if my post seemed harsh, but right now you NEED harsh; to be brutally frank a slap with a wet trout wouldn't hurt. It's THAT bad!

I am HIGHLY skeptical of this number (I'm more likely to believe in mouth breathing halfwit idiocy like a deity -- which anyone who knows me... yeah), since I would find it unlikely anyone would wait for the page to finish loading, much less navigate to a second page. Makes me wonder if people are leaving before whatever tracking method you are using even fires -- something I've seen before with Google Analytics (which is just one of many reasons I think it's BS) where really slow scripting heavy pages it doesn't even get a chance to do it's thing before people close the tab... You could check for this by comparing your server log accesses to the home page with GA's.... you may find a SEVERE discrepency between the two. That your GA script is in the middle of the document instead of right before </body>, mixed with the BROKEN markup? Just asking for it to not even report many (if not most) of your visitors. There's a reason I say use your server logs FIRST using tools like Analog or Webalizer and only resort to tracking scripts as a last resort -- if ever.

Since 5% bounce on that? BULL! Admittedly I say the same thing to anyone who claims a CTR greater than 1%! Either the data gathering method is broken, it's pissing off users with misleading links (like the crap download.com is filled with now), or someone's just pulling numbers out their backside!

Again it's a 10 megabyte monstrousity in 108 separate files, the real world average for a first-load FILE COUNTS ALONE should be around 20 seconds, and worst case over a MINUTE AND A HALF, regardless of connection speeds. Hence why this:

[​IMG]

Is utterly and completely unacceptable and a GUARANTEED road to failure. The MEGABYTES of images doing kilobytes job thanks to a complete lack of reencoding is bad enough, but to have NEARLY TWO MEGABYTES COMBINED of JS and CSS means whoever built that website HAS no damned business building websites! Even the server configuration is banjaxed since it appears little if any of the markup, scripting or style is even being compressed! Even the batshit insane 143k of markup for 10k of plaintext and less than two dozen actual content images reeks of "has no business making websites" being easily five times or more than what's needed there.

I don't entirely trust this tool anymore given it's become more about scamming people into buying CDN space or their "service" than it is about giving legitimate tips on making sites faster -- but even Pagespeed Insights is telling us it's rubbish:
    https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http://homesoftherich.net/&tab=desktop

Though comparing my result above to pingdom shows just what utter and complete bullshit their stats are:
    http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/jDMkx/http://homesoftherich.net/

There's a reason websiteoptimization.com won't even TRY to provide an analysis of your site, it sends montis off to never-never-land, and pagescoring.com is reporting 30 seconds. It's a bloated disaster of how NOT to build a website. That it even HAS traffic is shocking to me.

... and that's just filesizes and file counts -- you combine the scripttardery and complete lack of knowing how to use CSS properly with the endless pointless markup bloat, MAJOR accessibility failings like the fixed metric fonts, goofy illegible webfonts, hard to read heading colour contrasts, lack of graceful degradation and general "HTML, what's that?" -- and that's why I'd Ripley it. Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure!

The result you have is entirely typical of taking a garbage off the shelf system like turdpress, then crapping all over it with other bits of developer idiocy like bootcrap, jQuery, and everything else WRONG with development today, and in general just slapping stuff together any old way with zero knowledge of HTML, CSS, scripting or even the simplest of accessibility minimums. You took every sleazy shortcut there is, and now you're wondering why it's biting you in the arse?

Hell, given the failings on the site I'm surprised you haven't been delisted or blocked from advertisers even delivering content on your pages. NOT that I could ever confirm that since I'm not DUMB ENOUGH to let sleazeball scam artist BS adverts show on any of my systems in the first place.

deathshadow, Jul 8, 2015 IP
  9. lilysmith

lilysmith Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey kenny1, your site is slow enough to not visit it. I just open your site and it takes a lot of time to open.... Did you think ever that with this kind of site structure visitor will stay for a single second... Better you focus on your site structure, hosting provider and its content too..

lilysmith, Jul 10, 2015 IP
  10. satyenhacks

satyenhacks Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try this one:

1. Put two link ad units side by side just below the Post title. Use quick Adsense. Put the same code 2 times using <left> and <right> properties.
    2. Put a responsive ad centered after the blog title.
    3. Put 2 Adsense recommended medium shaped square units after the first paragraph.

Your earnings will shoot overnight.

satyenhacks, Jul 17, 2015 IP
  11. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Be careful not to exceed 3 ad units on a single page.

Matthew Sayle, Jul 17, 2015 IP
  12. satyenhacks

satyenhacks Active Member

Best Answers:
    The ads I told are the combination of LINK AD UNITS and Adsense for Content Units.

You can place up to 8 Adsense Ads on a webpage which are:

1. 3 Adsense for content units ( Square boxes, rectangle ones, responsive ones)
    2. 3 Link ad units (verticals and horizontal simple text ads)
    3. 2 Search boxes.

Hope it clears everything.

satyenhacks, Jul 17, 2015 IP