1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Plugin modification Super Nice Idea! Can we make it real!?

Discussion in 'jQuery' started by Webinator, Jul 15, 2015.

Hello everyone,

I have a nice idea but unfortunately I'm missing a lot of skills in jquery, if you want please HELP ME :)

I want to modify a plugin called Supersized.

Most of you should already know it.

What I would like to have is the following:

Background slides = images original dimension quite BIG, for example : width 1500px height 3000px.

- Background image bigger at least twice in height of the current browser screen.

- Slides start automaticaly sliding from top to bottom, quite slowly. (Like when you look a portrait image starting from the top part going toward the bottom.

- when the bottom is reached it fades for the second slide, that will do the same.

- NO progress bar, no prev&next buttons, just NOTHING but the image background.

- loop= yes

- min width : 370px

- min height: 460px

(Under min screen resolution a fall back image would be the best :))

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

David

Attached Files:

Webinator, Jul 15, 2015 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Can't say I've ever heard of it, but that's "plugin" for you... plugin for WHAT exactly?

That said, what you describe for image sizes sounds like crap that has NO blasted business as "backgrounds" on a website in the first place if you care at ALL about people actually visiting the site and/or reeking of trying to cover up for a lack of legitimate content on the page. This is borne out by the demo for that slideshow which is exactly the type of artsy bloated presentational jQuery based scripttardery I'm always railing against.

My advice would be to NOT put that type of garbage on a website in the first place. You're JUST going to piss off people in the same way a "It's a big bun, it's a big fluffy bun. It's a very big bun" pisses off the little old lady in the 1980's Wendy's commercials.

deathshadow, Jul 16, 2015 IP
  3. Alexstorm

Alexstorm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi, I've created something similar, but more custom, for a simulator. The outside view can be tracked up, down, left and right, zoomed and changed between 36 backgrounds. I noticed that Firefox and IE handle css backgroundPosition differently. The only hack appears to test for browser type and offer different code.

Another issue is keeping track of where you are on the background, so zoom and Firefox / IE can work. I successfully used .data cache offered in jQuery for the Chrome code. However, that too fails for Firefox and IE. So instead of using .data, save position data to an array, or maybe a pure javascript cache is possible. I want to stay away from caching globals. Some of this precision may not be required for your needs, if you just want to move the background through and then the next.

My project is currently coded for Chrome, which was chosen because of other Google API features in the simulator.
    http://www.producerelease.com/sgc/#scs

The zoom feature is not shown in the video demo. Very tricky to get the zoom in and out to work. It works now with about +- 4% lateral shift. I am working on the code to get it exact.

Have a look at the demo video. If you want access send me a direct email from the page.

Alexstorm, Jul 16, 2015 IP
  4. Alexstorm

Alexstorm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Oddly, I sort of agree with deathshadow's assessment of how background moving automatically can be annoying. I suppose I just answered, because I had a similar issue. Mine is not automated. The user chooses and in a simulator, it looks like you are turning the ship.

Alexstorm, Jul 16, 2015 IP
  5. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    It's 1990's thinking, and the type of nonsense that should land websites using it on lists like this one:
    http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/worst-websites-of-2014.html

deathshadow, Jul 16, 2015 IP
  6. Webinator

Webinator Peon

Best Answers:
    Deathshadow,
    thanks for sharing your opinion.
    Alexstorm,
    thanks for your help, I'll have a look even if my aim is have modification of the topic's plugin.
    I'll let you know.
    Thanks!

Webinator, Jul 16, 2015 IP
  7. ketting00

ketting00 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    form @deathshadow link.

There's a quote:
    Can you tell me how do you design website from the inside out?

Seriously, what I'm doing is in the opposite direction.
    And since what I do mostly is in the back end I always envy people who do a marvelous job at the front end.

Hope you reply.

Side Note:
    How can the author read my mind, LOL.

ketting00, Jul 16, 2015 IP
  8. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    deathshadow, Jul 17, 2015 IP