1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Computer Business Idea, UK

Discussion in 'General Business' started by PrecisionMaster, Jul 12, 2015.

Hey guys, this is my first post here.

So, i know a lot about computers(hardware and software) and i can assemble custom pcs, suitable for everyone(gaming, workstation, home theater, etc.).

If you don't know what an assembled computer is: it's a computer built with custom pieces; that allows to fully satisfy the customer.

The first thing i have to do is to give a name to the business, isn't it?
    I came up with an idea(pc tailors) but that name is already used by another company.

The second that a think i'll have to take care of is the logo.
    I know how to use Adobe illustrator but i know nothing about Visual Marketing.

Anyway, i'm already building my own website, using wordpress/CSS/html.

What i would like to ask you is:
    -How do i choose a proper name? Are there marketing "rules"?
    -How can i draw a proper logo? Is there something important that i have to know before trying to draw it?
    -What do i have to do next?

Please be patient, i am a novice and i am willing to learn.

Thank you very much.

Emanuele

PrecisionMaster, Jul 12, 2015 IP
    H0stZealot and daveman like this.
  2. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here's a little something I can share on branding your business, http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/77408 Hope it helps. :)
    With regards to the logo design let's wait for the experts advice here.. :)

Patricia Ann Lee, Jul 12, 2015 IP
  3. daveman

daveman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Emanuele, good to hear about your business. There may be rules on names and logos but I would not focus on this at the start of a new business. I'd be more focused on how to get customers, I've seen some bad logos get customers and some amazing logos go hungry.

But looking at logos for a moment, would you say the apple one is great? How about IBM and Easyjet?

So what's in a logo, the last two examples are just text and corporate colours. You could spend ages on visual and emotional design but do you have time for this? Or do you want to focus on winning paying customers.

Thanks

David

daveman, Jul 13, 2015 IP
  4. H0stZealot

H0stZealot Active Member

Best Answers:
    As for the website name:
    1) It should be sound andd memorable (which means it is most probably taken already)
    2) It must not violate copyright, so pctailors.com is not an option (but there ae around 500 other names - pctailors.expert, .club, .idea, .bank, .work and so on.) You should just find the one that suits you best.

BTW, what about PrecisionMaster.ninja? $5 only and it rocks.

As for the logo - it will come to your mind eventually.

Just concentrate on client acquisition and website promotion, logo can be added any time later

H0stZealot, Jul 13, 2015 IP
    daveman likes this.
  5. PrecisionMaster

PrecisionMaster Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ok Guys! Thank you for your replies!!

So all of you recommended me to concentrate on client acquisition and website promotion.
    how do i do that? Can you explain that to me please? Is on the internet that talks about that? I would even read a book if needed.

Thank you for helping me guys.

PrecisionMaster, Jul 13, 2015 IP
  6. Andy-Jones

Andy-Jones Member

Best Answers:
    Assembling PC is a good business idea, and there is no rule for choosing a name, but you should come up with something catchy and interesting, it will be good for marketing. And for the logo, I recommend you to hire a logo designer, they are creative and can come with some good ideas.

Andy-Jones, Jul 13, 2015 IP
  7. PrecisionMaster

Best Answers:
    Don't worry, i got the name!

Maybe i will look for a freelancer.
    Thank you
    Still:

8. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good thing that you want to start something and you are keen on learning in the process, it is gonna be tough but hang in there.
    For name consider everything from hidden meanings and even if you intend to take it to another country its international
    implications. You do not want to repeat Chevy Nova or Fiat Punto story. But do not spend all your time on it, once you have a
    name search in Urban dictionary and Google translate to make sure it is proper.
    For logo I suggest to grab an online freelancer for about 100 or 200 dollars, if you are not a designer it is better to let a designer to take care of that.
    Next is product offering and marketing plan. Prepare a small plan, read about marketing plans online and prepare one then talk about it with
    friends and ask for their advise (not idiot friends of course). Plan and follow it. You gotta know who your customers are and what they want.
    Good luck

Mehdi.b, Jul 13, 2015 IP
    daveman likes this.
  9. PrecisionMaster

Best Answers:
    I already checked for a freelancer, i think im going to hire one.
    As i said i got the name. I did a little of brain storming and it came out of my mind.
    Ok so i'll do a marketing plan: actually i already got something in my mind, about the service.

May i ask you to suggest me some sites/books that are about marketing plans?
    I'm asking you for advices because i know that there is a lot of misinformation out there.

Thank you in advance

10. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are tons of good samples out there, I am a marketer so listen to this before starting to build a plan.
    Study your own product first, make sure you know everything and it is not just an idea, it means look at different sides of the product
    and make sure you know it well, then you can explain it well.
    Once that is done, check entrepreneur dot com or bplans dot com. You can find many samples specific to your needs
    from these sources.
    Remember planing is good but do not waste time though, plan logically and once you think you are happy with it check it with some others
    and then move forward and implement it.
    I hope this was helpful
    Do keep us in the loop, and ask questions.
    Good luck

Mehdi.b, Jul 13, 2015 IP
    PrecisionMaster likes this.
  11. PrecisionMaster

Best Answers:
    2.0 Situation Analysis

2.1 Market Summary

2.1.1 Market Demographics
    2.1.2 Market Needs
    2.1.3 Market Trends
    2.1.4 Market Growth

2.2 SWOT Analysis

2.2.1 Strengths
    2.2.2 Weaknesses
    2.2.3 Opportunities
    2.2.4 Threats

2.3 Competition
    2.4 Services
    2.5 Keys to Success
    2.6 Critical Issues
    2.7 Channels
    2.8 Macroenvironment

3.0 Marketing Strategies

3.1 Mission
    3.2 Marketing Objectives
    3.3 Financial Objectives
    3.4 Target Marketing
    3.5 Positioning
    3.6 Strategy Pyramids
    3.7 Marketing Mix

3.7.1 Services and Service Marketing
    3.7.2 Pricing
    3.7.3 Promotion
    3.7.4 Service
    3.7.5 Channels of Distribution

3.8 Marketing Research

4.0 Financials, Budgets, and Forecasts

4.1 Break-even Analysis
    4.2 Sales Forecast

4.2.1 Sales Breakdown 1
    4.2.2 Sales Breakdown 2
    4.2.3 Sales Breakdown 3

4.3 Expense Forecast

4.3.1 Expense Breakdown 1
    4.3.3 Expense Breakdown 2
    4.3.3 Expense Breakdown 3

4.4 Linking Sales and Expenses to Strategy
    4.5 Contribution Margin

5.0 Controls

5.1 Implementation Milestones
    5.2 Marketing Organization
    5.3 Contingency Planning

Isn't it too much for me? It will take me years if i follow this scheme and i do it properly, also because i am alone and i have limited time.

PrecisionMaster, Jul 14, 2015 IP
    Mehdi.b and daveman like this.
  12. H0stZealot

H0stZealot Active Member

Best Answers:
    You need a website. To have it you need a domain name and a hosting. We offer both of these, check links in my signature and you'll not regret.

For a starter website like yours $1/mo would be a sufficient hosting package and the name will cost around $10/year.
    To create a website you can use one of multiple website builders, we oofer a bundle, WordPress is the most popular and it's free. Its installer is included into Softaculous app that comes free with our hosting packages and if you have any questions - we are always glad to help, support works 24/7. You can also order from any other company, of course.

Once your domain and hosting are active and your website is created you should fill it with content - WordPress is ideal for that, good that you are building the site already. Make a post - a photo of your work, brief explanations on specifications, pricing and your contacts - and publish it on your site.

Now the biggest part of the job begins - let the people know about you. This requires a SEO promotion to reach you audience, and some company near you may help you to move your website to the top of the search ranks for appropriate queries from your local neighborhood (I assume you would not go across several countries for the job, you'd prefer orders from your locals, right?).

However, the best part would be issuing a referral reward for your customers, because word of mouth works the best. "Once I assemble your computer system, you use it and you are satisfied - please recommend me to your friends. If someone contacts me with your recommendation - I will pay you £20 (40, 60, 100) back"

Logo is nearly nothing. Provide quality service, bright content describing it and have a smoothly running website - and nobody would care if you have no logo. You can hire a freelancer designer for the job if need be

H0stZealot, Jul 14, 2015 IP
  13. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is too big for an start up to do all those analysis, I would choose these steps: Market summary (this helps you to understand your market and is necessary), A very short SWOT and a simple competitor analysis (remember if for instance you are stating a small coffee shop somewhere, your immediate competitor is not Starbucks, you play in your own league and they in their own, so do not get extra cocky by saying IBM is a competitor. Be realistic in what you have and what you are offering).
    From strategic marketing you just need the target marketing which goes hand in hand with your first situational analysis. I don't see sales forecast and financial analysis too necessary for you unless you are looking for funding and investors. You will learn those stuff on the way to success ;)
    Have a look at your budget though and make sure your are not spending the money you don't have and know where you need to spend your money the most.

Mehdi.b, Jul 14, 2015 IP