1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Review Web Hosting Foum

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Hostix, Jul 6, 2015.

Web Hosting Forum is a forum I just purchased and updated and converted to Xenforo. Looking for some feedback.

400th Post!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Hostix, Jul 6, 2015 IP
  2. Sugavanas

Sugavanas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It looks good :) Just that the theme looks a bit plain if you ask me, but overall its good ;)

Sugavanas, Jul 6, 2015 IP
  3. Hostix

Hostix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How do you think I should change it. I wanted a clean look but I thought if I get some ads it would give some color to it. I do not want to over advertise on the forum also.

Hostix, Jul 7, 2015 IP
  4. Hostix

Hostix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anything else noted on this?

Hostix, Jul 25, 2015 IP
  5. JLPHOST

JLPHOST Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    hmmm I seen that forum somewhere for sale what plans do you have for it? Looks like you need more mods for it, it looks like the norm Xenforo website try adding more upgrades.

JLPHOST, Jul 25, 2015 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Illegible fixed metric (pixel) fonts, illegible grey-on-grey colour contrasts further exacerbating the accessibility situation, and being the fat bloated PIG known as xenforo, it also has a lot of the shortcomings this forum does. (seriously, why the HELL do people use xenforo?!?)

Just another inaccessible bloated mess that I wouldn't use.

Of course, "forum I just purchased" sets off my "wow, you were scammed" alarm -- but that's because to me the buying and selling of websites -- much less the number of people creating websites and filling them up with BS just to flip them? GIANT HONKING SCAM taking advantage of the ignorant.

deathshadow, Jul 26, 2015 IP
  7. burundian

burundian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Overall, It looks OK. I couldn't use that theme.

burundian, Jul 26, 2015 IP
  8. Hostix

Hostix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK I have updated the theme and I have another one I am adding. I didn't think the theme was that bad.

Thanks for letting me know.

Hostix, Jul 26, 2015 IP
  9. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    I swear what re-re is making these themes?

<div id="loginBar">
    	<div class="pageWidth">
    		<div class="pageContent">	
    			<h3 id="loginBarHandle">
    				<label for="LoginControl"><a href="login/" class="concealed noOutline">Log in or Sign up</a></label>
    			</h3>

<span class="helper"></span>

</div>
    	</div>
    </div>
    Code (markup):
    How can you have a H3 without a H2 or H1 preceding it? Since H3 means the start of a subsection of a h2, just like how H2 means the start of a H1.... that's accessibility rubbish. Much less the DIV DIV DIV DIV when at MOST that needs two DIV, not three, I'm assuming the helpers span is the logo --- THAT should be the H1 with a image replacement! Much less all the "classes for nothing"...

<nav>

<fieldset class="breadcrumb">
    		<a href="misc/quick-navigation-menu" class="OverlayTrigger jumpMenuTrigger" data-cacheOverlay="true" title="Open quick navigation"><i class="fa fa-sitemap"></i><!--Jump to...--></a> 

<div class="boardTitle"><strong>Web Hosting Review Forums</strong></div>

<span class="crumbs">

<span class="crust homeCrumb" itemscope="itemscope" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/Breadcrumb">
    					<a href="http://whrforums.com" class="crumb" rel="up" itemprop="url"><span itemprop="title">Home</span></a>
    					<span class="arrow"><span></span></span>
    				</span>

<span class="crust selectedTabCrumb" itemscope="itemscope" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/Breadcrumb">
    					<a href="http://whrforums.com/" class="crumb" rel="up" itemprop="url"><span itemprop="title">Forums</span></a>
    					<span class="arrow"><span>&gt;</span></span>
    				</span>

</span>
    	</fieldset>
    </nav>
    Code (markup):
    Why would ANYONE use a fieldset without a FORM, inside a NAV, without any INPUT, BUTTON or TEXTAREA inside it?!? Multiple REL with the same values defeating the point of REL="up", that stupid malfing itemprop asshattery since "who knew that a anchor with a href was a url!?!", endless span for christmas only knows what.... DIV+STRONG doing H2's or CAPTION's job (hard to say which without a total rewrite)

Much less where the hell is the main menu? At the end of the document? Everything is being re-arranged using positioning which is why it scales like rubbish! That makes SO much sense for people using screen readers or other non-visual navigation.

Damn that's some serious herpaderp code. Of course as I said before the REAL problem?

body
    {
    	-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;
    	-moz-text-size-adjust: 100%;
    	-ms-text-size-adjust: 100%;
    	text-size-adjust: 100%;

font-size: 12px;
    font-family: 'Open Sans',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;
    color: rgb(20,20,20);
    word-wrap: break-word;
    line-height: 1.28;

}
    Code (markup):
    Sending that text-size adjust to all means desktop safari can't zoom,, and there is no non-prefixed version of that OR -moz version either. ONLY a handful of versions of IE and webkit based browsers obey text-size-adjust. It's not even a real CSS3 value...

Then there's the halfwit inaccessible bull of declaring font-size in pixels, so it will not auto-scale to user preferences. There's a REASON the WCAG says to use EM -- even if you used EM later in the page, that 12px on BODY breaks what EM is FOR.

... then the goofy line-height designed to introduce rounding errors... and the waste of code that is declaring those separately instead of using the condensed properties.

Of course that's under "Xenforo core code" which is just more proof that the people writing Xenforo have ZERO ****ING BUSINESS making websites.

deathshadow, Jul 27, 2015 IP
  10. Hostix

Hostix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seems your butt hurt more about the code then the site overall

Hostix, Jul 27, 2015 IP
  11. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Then you don't understand the ramifications of pixel font sizes and a pixel min-width; where I'm stuck zooming in 150% to even TRY and read anything, but at that zoom level it's pan-and-scan time with sideways scrolling.

... which IS a problem caused by bad layout and bad coding; but the result is an inaccessible mess. If it loaded fast and was accessible I probably wouldn't give a **** about it as a visitor to the site, but the moment I can't use it because of the **** code, then yeah, I'm gonna rip whoever's skinning that a new hole.

PARTICULARLY if the dev outright ignored things like the WCAG or other accessibility norms. To be BRUTALLY frank if you don't know what's wrong with saying "font-size:12px" on body (or ANY size in PX really), you have no business even having a website, much less hosting one about hosting. That goes equally for things like using the wrong tags in every conceivable wrong way since that screws up keyboard navigation and the ability for non-visual UA's to handle the page properly!

If it's an inaccessible broken mess, you're alienating potential users. PERIOD... and unlike established sites like this one, it's VERY unlikely many will take the time to override it client side with user.css -- and even that does nothing if you can't even navigate the page properly with anything but a mouse.

deathshadow, Jul 27, 2015 IP
  12. Hostix

Hostix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do understand coding but it's made to change with the width of the screen and I don't have ton zoom in unless you are using a screen size of the TV. Both themes that I have showed you were by the same authors so I will forward them to the thread and see what they say. Xenforo as a software is a great form of art and even this forum runs on xenforo and it great at the moment I can't buy a custom theme but want one for the forum.

I know I can't please everyone but am working on pleasing the masses.

Hostix, Jul 27, 2015 IP