1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Discover tomorrow's best apps

Discussion in 'Websites' started by leonsoze, Jul 5, 2015.

appolite.com is a place where you can discover new mobile apps and games daily, most still unpopular - but with great potential. For iOS and Android. Free or paid.
    We publish at least one new app every day!

What do you think about the UE on the site? I would love to hear any reviews. Thanks!

http://appolite.com

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    leonsoze, Jul 5, 2015 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The grey on off-grey menu and sub-texts are a bit hard to read being well below accessibility minimums, serif fonts are for print not screen causing legibility headaches, the massive space wasting images spread out the content making it hard to skim if you don't care about certain titles (since and entire single title takes up the entire blasted screen at 1920x1080), and on larger displays it feels like you could make better use of the space than the single "crappy little stripe" column.

BUT, at least I'm not sent diving for the zoom on this one.

It's PAINFUL to wait for it to load -- at a ridiculously absurd 5.9 megabytes that's hardly a surprise; that's only twenty to thirty times what I'd make such a simple page be. Again those massive images are shooting your horse in the foot before the gate even opens, so I'd REALLY look at downsizing those -- but more of a worry is the batshit nutjob 1.7 MEGABYTES of scripttardery spread out over 12 files on a site that I'm not even seeing a legitimate reason to HAVE JavaScript!?! Seriously, is the scripting completely broken here, blocked by my adblock, or is it just slapped in there to do things HTML and CSS can do without JS?!?

Similarly nutters is the 241k of CSS in 4 separate files with no media targets, when since all you've styled is for screen media there's no reason for your entire SITE to need more than 48k of CSS in ONE file! Sniff... Sniff.... Hmm, do I smell bootcrap?

Popping the bonnet... damn... multiple DOCTYPE declarations, scripting before the HTML tag is even open, static scripting in the markup, serious "WHAT THE?" with static STYLE in the markup on top of the ridiculous hundreds of K of external CSS, endless pointless scripttardery for Christmas only knows what, no media targets on CSS links, trying to use png for favicon without a .ico fallback, endless pointless META that NOTHING of value actually gives a flying purple fish about, utter and complete lack of anything remotely resembling logical heading orders or semantic markup, much less document structure, inline-level tags wrapping block-level (despite 5's claims to the contrary, that's broken in most browsers or you hack around the broken in the stylesheet), data- attributes for what looks like scripttardey trying to do CSS' job, muliple H1 without the HTML 5 tags that allow that to make sense (which even with the HTML 5 tags wouldn't make sense), endless pointless DIV for nothing, endless pointless classes for nothing...

It's a laundry list of how NOT to build a website. I would pitch that entire mess in the trash and start over from scratch.

deathshadow, Jul 5, 2015 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's not Wordpress,I think it's actually a Tumblr-based "blog" - which in and off itself is actually quite impressive that they've managed to beat it into the amount of submission they've tried to do. But yes... there are so many things wrong with that site...

Sidenote: I'm currently rewriting my own Wordpress-blog's theme, and damn, that's a pain in the ass - there is so much crap running pr. default, that my functions.php-file will be the largest one on the site, simply because I want to disable so many things. And, create a way for a user to modify the theme in the admin-panel, although that's besides the point. Currently, to disable crap I don't need, I have nearly 300 lines. Almost pondering writing my own CMS instead... it'll take less time :D

PoPSiCLe, Jul 6, 2015 IP