1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adding "localStorage" To Countdown Timer

Discussion in 'JavaScript' started by gregdavidson, Jul 3, 2015.

I added this countdown timer to my One Time Offer page and it resets every single time somebody reloads the page. Somebody told me that I need to add "localStorage" to the script to stop it from doing that. What lines of coding do I need to add to the script below?

<script>function startTimer(duration, display) {
    var start = Date.now(),
    diff,
    minutes,
    seconds;
    function timer() {
    // get the number of seconds that have elapsed since // startTimer() was called
    diff = duration - (((Date.now() - start) / 1000) | 0);
    // does the same job as parseInt truncates the float
    minutes = (diff / 60) | 0;
    seconds = (diff % 60) | 0;
    minutes = minutes < 10 ? "0" + minutes : minutes;
    seconds = seconds < 10 ? "0" + seconds : seconds;
    display.textContent = minutes + ":" + seconds; if (diff <= 0) {
    // add one second so that the count down starts at the full duration
    // example 05:00 not 04:59
    start = Date.now() + 1000;
    }
    };
    // we don't want to wait a full second before the timer starts
    timer();
    setInterval(timer, 1000);
    }
    window.onload = function () {
    var thirtyMinutes = 60 * 30,
    display = document.querySelector('#time');
    startTimer(thirtyMinutes, display);
    };</script>
    Code (JavaScript):

gregdavidson, Jul 3, 2015 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Localstorage can be just as easily slapped aside as that script - using scripting to show the time remaining is "cute", but is NOT secure or functional -- as per your other thread, this is stuff you should store on the SERVER using sessions, tracking the IP address, and a whole host of far more secure and far harder to bypass methodology.

Scripting is for enhancing page functionality, NOT for providing said functionality. It's a cute toy for showing what's remaining, but should NOT be relied upon for TRACKING what's remaining.

Using PHP for example you'd just create a session, store in the session when the offer expires, and if they revisit the page load the time remaining from the session server-side for the scripting to show the countdown from that point. Of course the user clears their cookies they can slap that session aside and be treated as a new user, which is where tracking them in a database via IP address and maybe UA string -- mating in some form of e-mail validation would be a far more robust solution.

Scripttardery is NOT the answer for this sort of thing since it runs client-side, giving it all the security of parking a Benzo in downtown Oakland with the windows rolled down and walking away.

deathshadow, Jul 4, 2015 IP