1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Armchair Dining on DP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    This thread has made me hungry more times than I can count. :)

jrbiz, Jun 18, 2015 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    A famous Rhode Island food establishment is Iggy's Doughboys (they have a couple of clam shacks near beaches) and their flagship product is, of course, their Doughboys which are basically fried dough that are acclaimed by locals as the best in the world:

doughboys.jpg

They are very good and seem to bridge the gap between fried dough and donuts. You can actually have them shipped from their online store, but there is nothing like buying them hot and ready to eat. Or, you can make your own if you have a deep fryer:

doughboymix.jpg

I know, fried dough is fried dough for the most part. However, these are a bit unique and worth the trip! :)

jrbiz, Jun 19, 2015 IP
  3. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Could work but only if the mustard is a mild one. A spicier one will just take from the spicy taste of the peppers.
    The stick of cheese is something that could work too...mmm...time for some midnight snacks, this one is on you, guys!

Rado_ch, Jun 19, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    HA! Wrong move Rhode Island, Bulgaria can whoop your Doughboy with some of the tastiest and easy-to-make breakfast wonders. It's exactly like doughboy but imagine it mixed with love, rainbows and pictures of cute puppies. Our very own "buhti":

[​IMG]

Sprinkle it with powdered sugar, dip it in honey or any fruit jam...heck, eat it plain and it still tastes damn good.
    As if this isn't enough, our buhti have a bigger brother - the "mekitsi":

[​IMG]

Again, various combinations can be tried - the end result is still great. Can be purchased at practically any bakery or street corner that offers breakfast ;)

Rado_ch, Jun 19, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I see no reasonable option except to have a buhti/doughboy/mekitsi sampling session. It will involve a fair amount of travel because they must be eaten freshly made, but is absolutely worth it. :)

The mekitsi look a lot like the Portuguese fried dough delicacies that my grandmother used to make. The buhti look really unique and I wish that I had one right now, despite it being late night here, not morning!

Ultimately, it is kind of hard to go wrong with any dough that is deep fried and then covered with sweet toppings. ;)

jrbiz, Jun 19, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  6. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    Thousands of miles, dollars spent and weeks of our times for a sampling experiment? Sounds about the most logical thing I've read lately, I'm in! ;)

Rado_ch, Jun 19, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Here in the U.S. we are a little over a week away from our 4th of July holiday. My preference on that day is to barbeque hamburgers and hotdogs on that day as kind of a tradition. In Rhode Island, there is a specific brand of hotdog that it the overwhelming local choice: Saugy Hot Dogs:

saugybox.jpg

When grilled, they will look something like this:

saugy-dogs.jpg

Note that I used a picture of them that shows them without condiments. My preference is the following:

Mustard and Ketchup
    Mayonnaise

Most purists would likely add just mustard, but I like it combined with ketchup. The mayonnaise option makes me a bit of a heretic, I believe. But there are many more potential toppings, including chopped onions, melted cheese, chili, relish, pickles, etc.

For those of you who have never had a hot dog, you really need to try one. For those of you who eat hot dogs, it would be interesting to hear what brands and condiments you prefer?

jrbiz, Jun 26, 2015 IP
  8. Knight_Dark26

Knight_Dark26 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here's some egg pie for..
    my favorite
    i made it... images.jpg

Knight_Dark26, Jun 27, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, that looks delicious! What, besides eggs of course, goes into the pie and where would one find it?

jrbiz, Jun 27, 2015 IP
  10. Knight_Dark26

Knight_Dark26 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Philippines...but i made that one.my home made egg pie

Knight_Dark26, Jun 27, 2015 IP
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like the pumpkin pie that we make here in the U.S. Is it the eggs alone that give the pie filling its color?

jrbiz, Jun 27, 2015 IP
  12. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    malky66, Jun 27, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch and jrbiz like this.
  13. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    Rado_ch, Jun 28, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  14. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    Your post got me thinking - are there really people around the world (excluding places overrun with poverty) that never had or seen a hot dog? Can't think of something more generic than that ;)

Here, when someone says hot dog, we always mean the same setup - a bun, the hot dog and lyutenitza (which I will introduce later in the thread, think of it like a ketchup that is thicker and with a richer taste). Anything else and it turns the "hot dog" into a sandwich-type of food and gives endless opportunities.

Sticking to the actual hot-dog, most places here that sell any kind of fast/junk food, provide condiments for all clients to add themselves. Mostly there is ketchup, mayo, mustard, chilli sauce, salt, pepper and savory. You are free to add them all or none of them and it does not affect the price. Like you, I am a big fan of the ketchup-mustard combo and while I sometimes add mayo, I believe it just dilutes the other tastes. And keeping mayo in the open during a hot summer is just asking for a healthy hazard ;)

Rado_ch, Jun 28, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Note that there is no "sin" in this thread for using stock photo's of the food that you are recommending. That is what I have done exclusively in my posts, of course. But claiming that you cooked the dish and took the picture when it is a stock photo, of course, is a bit strange, more than anything else.

jrbiz, Jun 28, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, you are the only other person that I know who puts mayonnaise on a hot dog! I thought that I was alone in the world with this combination. It is good to know that I have some company, in this regard. Note that when I put mayonnaise on a hotdog, it is the only condiment I use (except occasionally for chopped onions.)

I know that the hotdog probably originated in Germany (we call them Frankfurters, too), so I am not surprised that hotdogs are available all over Europe. I do wonder about APAC, Africa, the Middle East, etc. DP-er's, are hotdogs ubiquitous around the world?

Looking forward to hearing more about lyutenitza!

jrbiz, Jun 28, 2015 IP
  17. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    There was a guy from Germany at one company I worked for in the past and one time he brought a tube of German-made mustard for the company's picnic. There's nothing better than a good hot dog with a German-made mustard.

On a negative note though, that guy despised american hot dogs.

Personally, I prefer Boar's Head hot dogs.

qwikad.com, Jun 29, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  18. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to prefer plain old French's yellow mustard, but understand those who prefer the brown, more spicy ones.

I went to Germany once and had some of their sausages, which were great. There are so many different American hotdogs out there that I am sure we could find one brand/style that he would like.

Boar's Head makes good meats, in general. I am not sure that I have tried their hotdogs, however. Will make a point to do so. We also get Nathan's hotdogs (from the famous Long Island joint) in stores around here and they are good, too.

jrbiz, Jun 29, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  19. Vitarank

Vitarank Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is what our egg pie looks like. I'm from the Philippines, and no, I didn't make this one LOL. No offense kabayan ;)

This is just so delicious!. The filling is tastes more like a flan, on top is caramelized sugar and then that crunchy pastry. It's pretty cheap here, 50 cents in USD - you can avail a slice :D. I buy one sometimes from my favorite bakery when I walk home from the office. :D
    [​IMG]

Vitarank, Jun 29, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch and jrbiz like this.
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, that looks fantastic! The addition of a flaky crust to what we would call flan (custard with caramel topping) here is a great idea! I will have to look around and see if it can be found in the U.S. I am getting hungry again!

jrbiz, Jun 29, 2015 IP