1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Reduce Server Response Time

Discussion in 'Programming' started by HRA, Jun 19, 2015.

Hi,

This is my website:
    AdSpot.lk

There are "some" pages of my site, which takes too long to load (high server response time). For eg, please take a look at this one:
    https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=adspot.lk%2Fall-ads

This is also noticeable if you view this page from the browser.

Weird thing is there are some pages that loads fast. For eg:
    https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=adspot.lk

I already did my best to fix other issues (minifying JS and CSS, leverage browser caching, eliminating render blocking JSS and CSS).
    As doing those didn't fix the problem, obviously there is something beyond my current knowledge.

Can you guys please let me know what could be the possible reason/s for this?
    One person mentioned this is hosting issue and changing the host should fix it. But I don't think that's true because if it was a hosting issue, then ALL my pages should be slow. What do you think?

Thanks

Solved! View solution.
    HRA, Jun 19, 2015 IP
  2. Anveto

Anveto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Form the speed test I can see that you could probably reduce the load time by moving some your css and js to the footer.

When actually visiting your site it seems like there might be something else causing the slow response? Pehaps bad coding, a loop somewhere?

Anveto, Jun 19, 2015 IP
  3. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think he is right, because what they recommend (some of it) was to get that stuff out of the top part (above the fold). They said...
    Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content
    Your page has 4 blocking script resources and 6 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.
    None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.
    Remove render-blocking JavaScript:
    Optimize CSS Delivery of the following:

Karen May Jones, Jun 19, 2015 IP
  4. Anveto

Anveto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, this will help but I think there is a larger issue which is probably in the backend code of this site.

Anveto, Jun 19, 2015 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Reduce your external script-usage, and also reduce your total script-usage - 1, maybe 2 CSS and js-files are fine, more than that, you're doing something wrong. You don't have to have several js-files - you can just copy the content from one into another, and load one - same goes for CSS. Just make sure the sequence inside the file is the same as what's working today.

PoPSiCLe, Jun 19, 2015 IP
    Karen May Jones likes this.
  6. HRA

HRA Active Member

Best Answers:
    I tried moving those JS and CSS to the footer. When I did that, it broke some of the functions of my site. That's why I kept it there.
    Earlier there were more JS and CSS files. I moved the JS files to footer and combined the CSS files.

Im sure the cause for huge response time in "some" pages is something else. I just can't think what.

Thanks

HRA, Jun 20, 2015 IP
  7. Anveto

Anveto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Get someone to take a look at the backend code, feel free to send me a message if you would like my help.

Anveto, Jun 20, 2015 IP
  8. Jufcy8200

Jufcy8200 Banned

Best Answers:
    Tips:

Reduce the Image Size
    Limit External Scripts
    Moving Java Scripts to Footer
    Organize the Codes
    Too much content can affect the Speed
    Great Hosting is a must

Jufcy8200, Jun 24, 2015 IP
  9. HRA

HRA Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I just wanted to give an update on the issue.
    The problem wasn't on JS files, css file, image size or anything like that.
    Problem was in the sidebar. It was slowing everything because theme was poorly coded.

MarkusTenghamn here solved the problem for me. I hired him as a freelancer.
    Before any of that, he actually checked my site and showed where was wrong.
    He did this for free and his spot on solution convinced me he is the right one to fix my problem.
    After I hired him he checked the source code and optimized it.
    Now my site is very fast.

If you are looking for someone not just for speeding up the site, but for anything related Wordpress, Web development, I can vouch for this guy.

They say picture is worth thousand words. So here I attach two pics BEFORE and AFTER.

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER

[​IMG]

HRA, Jun 24, 2015 IP
    Anveto likes this.
    First up, lemme just say that as a tool for telling you how to make sites faster, Google Pagespeed Insights has gone from useful to 100% grade A farm fresh bull -- I would no longer take it seriously since they just seem to be trying to dupe people who don't need it into getting a CDN, or paying for their new "service".

A local test here tells me WAY more than their "insights" do. It's 748k in 32 files taking 28 seconds to load. The files taking the longest to load is mostly all the scripttardery for nothing and the use of multiple stylesheets to do the job of one.

If indeed the problem is slow server response the BEST way to address that is to simply use less separate files, particularly if they are all coming from the same host. Removing further bloat like the off-site hosted webfonts could also work wonders, particularly when said fonts aren't just slow and holding things up, but nearly indistinguishable to anyone who isn't an art faygelah to Arial.

Simple fact is you are using 386k of CSS in 6 files, 245k of scripttardery in 14 files, and 17k of markup to deliver 566 BYTES of text, two form elements and nothing I'd even consider a content image -- when to be brutally frank I'm not seeing it doing anything that warrants more than 16-24k of JS in ONE file, (assuming one REALLY wants the scripttardery), 32k of CSS in ONE file (there's no excuse for an entire website to be built with more than 48k of CSS other than developer ineptitude and/or ignorance), and MAYBE at most 8k of HTML.

So of COURSE it's slow. It's STILL poorly coded. It's a three-quarters of a megabyte in three dozen file mess doing 120k in a dozen file's job.

deathshadow, Jun 26, 2015 IP
  11. kulasingha

kulasingha Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hi,
    It was good to hear that you got it fixed! I also have two authority websites and in one of them I also think some pages are not loading correctly! I also think my website theme code is the problem and I got good answer from here as well. Always check your theme and code to get it optimized well said.

Thank you Take care

kulasingha, Jun 26, 2015 IP