1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.com taken so .org or .net?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Mkcoy, May 28, 2015.

I know .org is more for organisations and companies but anyone can use it for anything really but yeah.

And I know that .net is more for tech related sites but can also be used for anything too.

If the .com was already taken of a term/name you wanted and you wanted to reg the domain would you chose net or org?

From an authority point of view.

Thoughts?

Mkcoy, May 28, 2015 IP
  2. Franklin Hatchett

Franklin Hatchett Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would go with .net i guess

Franklin Hatchett, May 28, 2015 IP
  3. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your insightful feedback lol

Mkcoy, May 29, 2015 IP
  4. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd lean towards .NET moreso than .ORG. The .org one does imply that you are a non-profit organization more then the .net implying that you are a tech company. Adding that to the fact that the .NET has been number 2 after .COM for a long time now and you got your answer right there. Though, if you are a local company targeting local audience you might consider the ccTLD of the country you are in.

Are we talking about choosing a main domain for your business tho? If that is the case I would also strongly consider finding an alternative to your desired name with the .COM extension. Its true that nowadays its uber hard to find a good .COM that is not registered, you can still go for some nice sounding brandable name. ;)

Rado_ch, May 29, 2015 IP
    Mkcoy likes this.
  5. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, I generally would not go for .net or .org. When people think of a domain name, .com is the first thing that comes to mind. If someone were to type your domain into a browser without knowing which tld, they would instinctively type .com.

I have been in that situation many times where the .com was taken. The only time I would consider using an alternate tld would be if there is no active site developed on the .com. And if that was the case, I would first contact the owner and ask them if they would be interested in selling it. Because if it is worth that much to you and you think it is a good domain name, you should at least be willing to pay a few hundred dollars for it. In most cases, I abandon my idea because I cannot find a suitable domain name that is a .com.

And if I were to choose, I'd go with a .net or look at one of the newer tlds that have been made available the past year.

billzo, May 29, 2015 IP
  6. FPForum

FPForum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'd probably go with .NET over .ORG in this case.. But, with so many new gTLDs coming out why not consider one of those? For example, if my site was an online store, maybe I'd go for .CHEAP, or if it were a plumbing website maybe I'd go with .PLUMBER..etc.

FPForum, Jun 5, 2015 IP
  7. ulterios

ulterios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's a question that many people seem to be asking a lot lately.

I think one thing that should be taken into account is exactly what the domain/website would be used for.

If you are an organization, educational related or maybe some other type of entity that doesn't charge any fees or sell anything then the .org could work.

If you are going to be using it for a business purpose then the .net would probably be the best choice since using a .org might seem strange for potential customers.

All things being equal, unless it's some kind of non-profit use then I would always choose the .net

ulterios, Jun 5, 2015 IP
  8. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    I believe many will disagree with you here. While it sounds like the logical solution there are still many issues with the new gTLDs that keep experienced domainers from digging deep at this point. Here are just a few:

- Confusion! Lets face it, if you are the average business owner, chances are you are not even aware of those domain extensions. This makes them very hard to market. Even if you get a short, cool name like discount.coupons there is still a high probability that, by the time they get to checking that URL, the majority of people will still try discountcoupons.com. This is lost traffic and a lot of it.
    - Pricing! Many of the new gTLDs, while possible to find with some coupons or great rate, often renewal prices are quite high. In the long run can you justify that price with the benefit you get from the domain?
    - Inflated Stats! Some of the new domain extensions already seem to be taking off with good sales but that is not necessarily the case. Many of them have extensive campaigns where domains are given for peanuts. Those stats create a confusion that the extension might be valuable and mislead people into buying one.

Of course I don't write them off completely. On the contrary, I find them pretty cool for some personal projects, just don't like my business to depend on such a name... ;)

Rado_ch, Jun 5, 2015 IP
  9. MaryVinson

MaryVinson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Things I want to clarify here for .net and .org TLDs are as follows:

.net TLd is good for the organization involved in networking technologies while .org TLD is for non-commercial.

If I have to give suggestion then go with .net TLD becasue it is used as an alternative to .com TLD.

Can you share which type of business (commercial or non-commercial) you have?

MaryVinson, Jun 5, 2015 IP
  10. royalchelsea

royalchelsea Peon

Best Answers:
    .Nets are ok, but problem is most people will automatically put in .com.

totally depends what your business is though, maybe a country domain might be good for you, if you live in usa maybe go for a dot .us or co.uk if live in uk etc

.orgs are normally associated with non-profit ventures so might not be good for a business.

royalchelsea, Jun 11, 2015 IP
  11. RussV

RussV Member

Best Answers:
    I think .net is more common than .org, but for me, .org stands for original, origin ... :) so from authority point of view, I tend to choose org.

RussV, Jun 14, 2015 IP
  12. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    You do know .ORG is short for "organisation", right? ;)

Rado_ch, Jun 15, 2015 IP
  13. Vincentas

Vincentas Active Member

Best Answers:
    The main suggestion that is suggested often is that if you find out that your .com domain name is already being taken - it is better to think about other domain name (as for SEO, think about that this might be confusing for visitors and they might mix your and other websites with different TLDs). However, if you are sure enough that you will take .org or .net the suggestions would be following:

1) .org is mostly chosen and known as a TLD for organizations - state, non-profit and etc.
    2) .net would be mostly used for e-commerce, blogs, individual sites and etc.

Vincentas, Jun 15, 2015 IP
  14. RussV

RussV Member

Best Answers:
    Yup. But that's just what it resembles for me. I bet many don't know what the common tlds really stand for :)

RussV, Jun 15, 2015 IP
  15. unitx.net

unitx.net Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    preffering .net :D

unitx.net, Jun 15, 2015 IP
  16. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If .com is not available and I will choose .org or .net to register the domain. I will consider on the nature of my online business and sounds like or easy to recall by the the targeted audience.

KylieSweet, Jun 15, 2015 IP
  17. Elizabeth.Huang

Elizabeth.Huang Member

Best Answers:
    I am doing new gtlds...always maybe..

Elizabeth.Huang, Jul 8, 2015 IP
  18. SalvadorWilliam

SalvadorWilliam Peon

Best Answers:
    .net should be preferable for technical companies due to subtle mental hook of folks, they consider.net= internet or network and for other companies you may take .org

SalvadorWilliam, Jul 24, 2015 IP
  19. gene438

gene438 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would go against your premise.....if my keyword was taken, I would change keyword or go in another direction. I just believe that strongly that you get only the .com and nothing else.

gene438, Aug 13, 2015 IP
  20. VAKTA MONDAL

VAKTA MONDAL Banned

Best Answers:
    I prefer .com because people always think it first to put.

VAKTA MONDAL, Aug 13, 2015 IP