1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to create a customer center

Discussion in 'Programming' started by AlanChen, Apr 30, 2015.

Hi,

We are a software company and we want to create a customer portal or customer center, where the paid customers can submit priority support ticket, download software and subscribe support plan. We are thinking of several solutions:

1. Hire someone to create the customer center from scratch with PHP/MySQL.

2. Purchase some mature products with similar functions, then customize them based on our own needs. Currently we have checked the help desk software such as Kayako.

3. Built customer center via WordPress. I heard of WordPress is powerful, but just wonder if it is appropriate to do such a task.

Please kindly give advice as I am not familiar with web development.

AlanChen, Apr 30, 2015 IP
  2. Kingfish85

Kingfish85 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. Reinventing the wheel
    2. Probably the best idea
    3. Bad idea

I would not recommend option 3 due to the security issues surrounding WordPress themes & plugins. The WordPress core in itself is pretty secure however, everyone under sun is putting poorly coded themes & plugins that half the time are vulnerable.

I think option 2 is the best idea, there's tons of helpdesk software out there, many that can be customized.

Kingfish85, Apr 30, 2015 IP
  3. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You're a software company...............

NetStar, May 4, 2015 IP
    PDD likes this.
  4. KatnissEverdeen

KatnissEverdeen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you checked out Comm 100? it is a live support chat that you can add to your website and its free.

KatnissEverdeen, May 4, 2015 IP
  5. Itera Research

Itera Research Peon

Best Answers:
    The best way to develop a quality project.

Itera Research, May 26, 2015 IP
  6. SocialSignals

SocialSignals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Although the irony my seem too damn high, it's not really that shocking. Their group is probably self-taught, this is the most usual case. Software company can be another word for a company which is selling primarely one product. They manage to tweak the software to their likes, and they can't figure on how to build a proper customer server. (Or they fired the guy who knew how. :p )

SocialSignals, May 26, 2015 IP
  7. MightWeb

MightWeb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would definitely go with option 2. In-house development (even if you did have the required competence) is very expensive, and rarely worth it if it isn't a long-term scalable solution.

MightWeb, May 28, 2015 IP