1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

People using images that are not of themselves

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by usasportstraining, May 9, 2015.

What is with people using images of beautiful women for their profile, when they are most likely not even a woman?

I mean, look at me, I'm a cute dog and I'm not ashamed of it!

usasportstraining, May 9, 2015 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I should probably put my wife's picture instead of my current avatar and I guarantee you I'll get more inquiries, replies, etc. to each of my post.

qwikad.com, May 10, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch and jrbiz like this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    When I first joined DP, way back when, I created my avatar to reflect my focus on business, money, etc., without a lot of thought about it. It was just something quick to do and then on to the contest that I needed to run. Back then, no one used their own picture or their own name (as many new DP'ers seem to do these days.) It is inertia, mostly, and a little desire for consistency that prevents me from changing it so many years later, though I have considered doing so, lately.

I also am not sure why a male DP'er would use a gorgeous female photo as an avatar other than to honor the woman and/or to attract initial attention from other male members.

jrbiz, May 10, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  4. amazinglucy24

amazinglucy24 Banned

Best Answers:
    I always create my real pictures. I don't need to be ashamed of my look.

amazinglucy24, May 10, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch and Digital_shubhi like this.
  5. KatnissEverdeen

KatnissEverdeen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Many people use pictures of beautiful women to gain attention, likes, draw your attention to their posts/threads and whatnot.

Another side of this is people pretend to be girls to "E-Whore". They just make themselves believable in order to get things they want and money from loney guys........ Sad to say it but it is true.

KatnissEverdeen, May 10, 2015 IP
  6. Domain Lead Finder

Domain Lead Finder Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am ulgy and hairy so I have a rocket instead of my own pic :) I completely understand people who use somebody else's picture or even a womans pic in hopes of attracting more customers. I even have an ugly name and I am sure it would impact my business. Nothing underhand about that IMO its just the way the world is, some people are just not meant for mass distribution.

Domain Lead Finder, May 12, 2015 IP
  7. oaksvirals

oaksvirals Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That last sentence though. Gave me a good laugh.

oaksvirals, May 26, 2015 IP
  8. SocialSignals

SocialSignals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ahahhhaha, some very funny people here.

Regarding the question. I think they use them for themselve. In that they want to sorround themselves with that "actress" etc. Generally like teenagers who fill their room with posters.
    And it also doesn't help that most photos of beautiful women, are either a feel good iamge, or some actress which reminds the person who has the account about something from the movie etc.
    Popularity exists, it's not something one really has to explain.

SocialSignals, May 27, 2015 IP
  9. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I, for one, am on the other side of the fence. Whenever I see an avatar of a gorgeous woman I automatically assume its fake and somehow devalue that profile. I've been lurking around stock photo sites long enough to have a good a pretty accurate assessment for such images. But, bottom line is, I really don't care as each and every person chooses how they will run their businesses. What is wrong for me might be right for them and vice versa. At the end of the day it matters what I do and how I interact with my prospects. When I discuss business it doesn't matter if the person on the other side is pretty, ugly, hairy, man, woman, humanoid or reptilian. What matters is getting the job done ;)

Rado_ch, May 27, 2015 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  10. oaksvirals

oaksvirals Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yea you're right and I'm also on the same side of that fence. It's almost to obvious when these images appear and I immediately turn the other way. It's such a trend that I think more and more people will end up turning away from the fake image avatars. I believe it to be much better to represent your business with a logo avatar than a pretty woman. That's how treat my Minecraft Hosting business, with a logo avatar.

oaksvirals, May 27, 2015 IP