1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can I retain the old HTML site files in my new PHP site?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by vj660, Mar 13, 2015.

Hi Team,

I am having a HTML website since 2007 with 8000+ pages. Recently I have redesigned my site to Joomla K2.

I am unable to migrate all the 8000+ pages of my old website to new Joomla K2 CMS. I hardly migrated 600 old html pages to Joomla CMS. My pageviews decreased from 2000 pageviews to 200 pageviews. Too many 404 errors. As I have not migrated the old html pages, I am unable to redirect them in sh404sef.

So I have planned to copy my old website html files into my new website folder as it is. I am copying only the pages which are not in my new website. So that I dont get too many 404 error. The old html pages will have the old html interface. So any visitor who comes through old links dont get 404 errors.

Is this fine? Please let me know if I am clear. Could anyone tell me if this setup will cause any SEO issue or affect my Joomla K2 CMS?

Please advise.

vj660, Mar 13, 2015 IP
  2. O-D-T

O-D-T Member

Best Answers:
    If you simply do not have resources to make this all clean and elegant then yes, do what you have to do.
    You might consider if you can invest a couple of bucks to make this right and hire a freelancer who will code a script for you that will make the cleanup for you and (semi)automatically take care of this migration.

O-D-T, Mar 14, 2015 IP
  3. vj660

vj660 Member

Best Answers:
    Hi O-D-T

Thanks for your message.

I am migrating the pages one by one manually. It may take some time. But meanwhile, to avoid the 404 errors, and loose visitors, I thought of copying the old html files into the folders as it was earlier before moving Joomla K2 CMS.

1) So, this will not effect anything in sh404SEF right?
    2) Will there be any problem to my site Joomla K2 site?

Regards

vj660, Mar 14, 2015 IP
  4. O-D-T

O-D-T Member

Best Answers:
    Should be just fine.

O-D-T, Mar 14, 2015 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    This is what off-shoring is for - send the content to some off-shore center, have them extract the information and input it into a Joomla install, then just import that database into the site? Shouldn't be too expensive - while you'll probably still have to fix certain errors and such, it should take way shorter time than doing it all yourself.

PoPSiCLe, Mar 15, 2015 IP
  6. vj660

vj660 Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you ODT.

vj660, May 9, 2015 IP
  7. vj660

vj660 Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Popsicle/ODT,
    Do you know anyone offshore who can do this for me...

vj660, May 9, 2015 IP
  8. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I don't really work with offshore-devs or drones - I know that it has been done by companies in my area, but I've no clue what services they use. Problem is of course finding someone you're willing to trust - I would suggest trying to find a business-forum or review-site for these types of work, and see if you can get any recommendations.

PoPSiCLe, May 9, 2015 IP
  9. vj660

vj660 Member

Best Answers:
    That is so kind of you... Thank you...
    You are right, finding good trustable service is important, and thats what I am unable to find...

Will check the site which you gave...

vj660, May 9, 2015 IP
  10. John_90

John_90 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello

It is possible to retain the old HTML files in new PHP site.Please make sure that you maintain the URL structure . When you copy the old website files into the new website folder make sure that the old files are put in the root folder of the new website.This will not have any SEO impact. Also make sure that the old website files are easily navigable via the new website . We are a leading web designing company in Chennai and we do it this way.
    Regards
    John

John_90, May 25, 2015 IP
  11. vj660

vj660 Member

Best Answers:
    Thats great, I have done it similar way. I too checked with some of the web designers designers and they said no impact will happen to seo if we copy the old html site.

Thank you all, that helps a lot to me and clears my confusion.

vj660, May 26, 2015 IP