1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to set keywords in Yoast SEO plug-in.

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by dim sum, May 25, 2015.

Hi

I set up my blog around a year ago as a relative beginner, and in retrospect kind of rushed in and got started. Now I know a bit more than I did then, I want to go back through my posts and improve SEO.

1. I use Yoast SEO plug-in on Wordpress. I'm a bit confused still regarding keywords with this plug-in. The guidance notes by Yoast suggest using one keyword within your keyword phrase, such as "SHOES Barcelona" rather than "SHOES BARCELONA" and that's how I set it in Yoast when I did my posts.

I've since seen other blogs where people suggest using the all words as your keyword. Why does Yoast suggest different, and does it work, or should I use the other method. I just don't want to waste my time (I've got a lot of posts) if there's no SEO benefit.

2. With images I'm also still slightly confused. In the ALT tags what is best to put. Google guidance says to describe the image (which I've done) but other stuff I've seen says just to put your keywords. What if the keywords have no relevance to the picture? I also saw something some time ago which suggested putting your blog post title in the ALT tag (which I've done). Is this wrong, and should I remove it?

3. Not strictly keywords, but image related. I didn't know about renaming an image to an appropriate search friendly title beforehand, so their all 001000109.JPG etc. There seems to be no way that I can find to rename the image in Wordpress. I've probably got about 150 images uploaded already. Is there a simple and quick method by which I could change this and in reality is it really worth it ? Would I get a significant SEO benefit by doing this? Should I just adopt the correct procedure with my images on new posts going forward from here?

Appreciate all comments and suggestions

Thanks

dim sum, May 25, 2015 IP
  2. Franklin Hatchett

Franklin Hatchett Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yoast is one of the shitest most unreliable plugins. I woulnd't rely on it for any final results. This will show you why https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...-calculate-keyword-density-seriously.2755421/

Anyhow I use the whole main keyword then parts and variations that are related.

Example if I wanted to rank for these 3.
    Dog training New York.
    Best Dog training New York
    Learn Dog training in New York

I would then use this in the article.

Dog training New york
    Best
    Learn

If you used all 3 of them over and over again like the first example it will create huge density over optimization, google hates that. I see it all the time and it kills websites.

This video will help understand it

To edit the image names you just go to media then click on the image and hit "edit more details". I would suggest working on the images. Much easier to get images ranked and you will get traffic from them. Not a lot but anything helps.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Franklin Hatchett, May 25, 2015 IP
  3. dim sum

dim sum Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Thanks for your quick and informative reply. Really enjoyed your clearly explained video - very useful. I agree with your point about Yoast not accurately measuring keyword density.

When I started as a total newcomer I just presumed things like Yoast were bound to be right. When I used to write my posts, I always tried to get as many of the traffic light indicators green as possible as I thought that would be best (probably is, but possibly not for keywords). However, when I used to write I was always struggling to get the keyword density to an optimum level according to the plug-in. To me the articles would then seem stuffed as you mention, and I actually backed off from using so many as it just seemed unnatural. I read some other stuff recently which alluded to using keywords more sparingly and ignoring Yoast density readings, and this is what I'm doing at present.

I think some of my earlier posts might be a bit stuffed in lieu of this so they'll need the attention and I can optimise the keywords at the same time. I'll check on your points about the images.

Many thanks

dim sum, May 26, 2015 IP