1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress permalink settings.

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by dim sum, May 25, 2015.

Hi

I've got about a year old blog. When I set it up I think I might have taken some bad advice. I set all of my permalinks to day/date. I didn't really understand the significance of this at the time. Now I'm a bit more knowledgable I realise that all of my posts show the day/date/year in Google searches. This is not what I want because:

1. I think it can make your blog look out of date.
    2. Much of my content is evergreen so I don't want it perceived as out of date.

How can I rectify this, and will it be a headache? What happens to all my existing posts as well as my new posts if I just set permalinks to post name (which I want). I've heard I will have to set redirects for the old posts. Is this true, and if so how do I do it?

Appreciate all comments and suggestions

Thanks

dim sum, May 25, 2015 IP
  2. teamnirvana

teamnirvana Active Member

Best Answers:
    This can be done easily using 301 redirects.

There is a "Simple 301 redirects" plugin in WP repository. Use it to simplify the process.

If you feel that my suggestion added some valuable point to the Digital Point community, then please "Like" my reply.
    Thanks.

teamnirvana, May 26, 2015 IP
  3. dim sum

dim sum Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I just checked the plug in. Just did a quick look on Youtube for some tutorial but most of them seem to be about redirecting from an old site to a new site, thus put in old address linking to new address. I however, want to redirect within the same site, just change the permalink address so that it will show post name, not day/date.

What's the correct procedure for doing this? When do I change the permalink setting, first or after changing all my page redirects?

Help appreciated

Thanks

dim sum, May 26, 2015 IP
  4. dim sum

dim sum Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Am I also able to change the permalink on the individual post by the permalink setting at the top of each post? How would this be different from changing the permalink setting in settings? What then would happen to all links to the old post name?

Thanks

dim sum, May 26, 2015 IP
  5. islandhosting

islandhosting Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have used the 301 Redirected plugin which will automagically try to create redirects for you and you can set a duration for them to keep them in its database so you don't get a huge SQL database of unwanted data. Worked well for me when I have changed someone from a HTML site to a Wordpress site.

In your case the page ID behind the permalink will be the same so it should be able to put all the redirects in automatically.

In Google you could put site:yourdomainname.com where yourdomainname.com is your domain name and then open each in a new tab using CTRL-click so as to cause a hit and see if the plugin does the auto redirect for you.

Worked well for me a few times.

islandhosting, Jun 10, 2015 IP