1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to handle clients

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Shahzad Jameel, May 6, 2015.

Hi Mates,

Digital Point is a big forum and I believe I get an answer for it.

How to handle a client if he will keep posting changes in same budget? Definitely i don't want too loose client as well as I don't want to keep working for nothing.

Thank you in advance for your kind response.

Thanks

Shahzad Jameel, May 6, 2015 IP
  2. Muism4t

Muism4t Active Member

Best Answers:
    In general you can have a fixed fee, per hour or a mixed agreement.

My experience is that communication is key in any of these types of agreement.

For fixed fee agreements you have to make clear to both parties what to expect. And of course you can be flexible with this, but when a customer indeed takes too much of your time you can point this out.

For a per hour agreement it might be wise too clearly communicate how many hours (costs) a customer can expect. And also point out that if a customer wants more, this then costs more.

And in general: always make clear what you give . If you give something for free, let the other party know this otherwise it won't be perceived as a gift, but as something normal and he will expect the same again.

But these are all quite general remarks and since I we do not know the specific details I think it is up to your own judgement what to do next.

Muism4t, May 6, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. RogerDale

RogerDale Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree with Muism4t - communication is a key! It is your choice what you're going to do with this particular client but you can learn an important lesson from this situation for future contracts: you should always be specific about every detail of an agreement and determine additional costs for extra work.

RogerDale, May 6, 2015 IP
  4. Shahzad Jameel

Shahzad Jameel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am agree with you both but communication and defining a scope is only possible to some extent. What will you do if client will keep changing color for a specific area or text, text changes, changes in sitemap, animation of banners, control over content so admin can change etc etc

All the above is defined in scope but keep sending changes forever is an issue. Definitely above mentioned is a part of scope but how will you justify that this is not out of scope. Pretty confusing for me honestly. In most cases if you say something, clients don't like it and start teasing you in different ways.

Definitely i don't happen all the time but still ratio is 30% - I want help how to fix it for my web development projects.

I am sure you guys will suggest me something solid.

Shahzad Jameel, May 6, 2015 IP
  5. m00d

m00d Member

Best Answers:
    No matter what rules you set there will always be some Ahole come along and expect you to be a slave. When this occurs don't be scared to cut them loose. Let them know you are fed up and can take or leave them as a client. Most times they will soften up, if not you don't want them anymore, the money isn't worth it. As a principal these people don't deserve the extra effort they are demanding so tell them to take a hike.

m00d, May 6, 2015 IP
  6. tommyanderson

tommyanderson Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should love your clients.you should have bonding relationship with your clients.Then there will be proper understanding between you and the clients.you should have open communication and expectations with them.But one thing the client always offender- is that they twists our relationship and waste our time and energy.And one of the main important source is to inform each and every information regarding their projects,cost etc....and at last they should not be upset as they were not aware.Everything should be cleared between your clients.then their will be proper understanding.

tommyanderson, May 8, 2015 IP
  7. Shahzad Jameel

Best Answers:
    @tommyanderson - no one wants to spoil relationship with their clients. i always humble and polite with clients until unless they start teasing for nothing or to save money for them even from agreed amount.

Expecting more by spending less is a right of everyone but commitment should be commitment :)

Shahzad Jameel, May 8, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  8. spacehades

spacehades Active Member

Best Answers:
    Put a fixed price on everything. If you provide different fees for every client, that way if your clients recommend you to their friend, and his friend are charged with different prices, that would lower your reputation.

spacehades, May 8, 2015 IP
  9. Shahzad Jameel

Best Answers:
    @spacehades - If you are a developer who do custom development then it is not possible to sell/offer same thing to every client. There are some generic solutions available like for eCommerce but that is not a need of everyone.

So far I feel after a discussion of 1 week that it is difficult to handle such clients :) - Definitely all client are not equal.

Shahzad Jameel, May 11, 2015 IP
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    This is great insight on your part. Any market is full of good, bad, and all other manner of prospects/customers that you will be exposed to. The trick is to carefully cultivate and nurture the good clients (spend 80% of your time with them) while trying to work with (and, ultimately, filter out) the unprofitable clients. When your business becomes established enough that you can choose which customers to work with, you will be able to better avoid the tire kickers, cheapskates, sleazebags, etc., and you will become much better at identifying them quickly.

jrbiz, May 11, 2015 IP
  11. Shahzad Jameel

Best Answers:
    @jrbiz - Thank you for your detailed answer.

Yes, we should keep filtering but again an issue arise, how to find new clients as it is not an easy job(atleast i believe this).

Shahzad Jameel, May 11, 2015 IP
  12. Pat Waldron

Pat Waldron Member

Best Answers:
    There are only so many hours in a day. When you communicate with this client: establish the goal, where they are now, and how you can help them get there. Then, you quote what you can do, the time needed and how much it costs. That's business.

Also, you are too available to this client. You need 'a way out' each time you communicate, outside of scheduled meetings. If you schedule a five minute phone call, you are theirs that five minutes. Then, you have another client, a lunch, or have to go home.

If they email you twenty times in one day. You reply once at the end of the day. Is this a family member?

Pat Waldron, May 23, 2015 IP
  13. productdesign

productdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to improve your communication skill.
    You tell your client what you have achieved how you are better from other

productdesign, May 25, 2015 IP
  14. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Set expectations upfront and enter a clause in to the contract. You should also properly plan a project to avoid major rewrites or revisions. Once a proof has been made only necessary changes should be made. If you have to start all over due to the client seeking a revision that was outside of the contract or vision he should be charged accordingly. If you haven't taken the extra steps in making sure everything is outlined properly before you began the work you must eat it and learn from your mistakes.

NetStar, May 25, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  15. Shahzad Jameel

Best Answers:
    Good Advise @NetStar - Thank you

Shahzad Jameel, May 25, 2015 IP