1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What could cause this? ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by fcmisc, May 25, 2015.

I have a website hosted on Godaddy.
    I am based in the UK.
    I have a page hosted on my godaddy account.

When I attempt to access it from my home computer over Sky Broadband it tends to work for half a minute. And for the other half of the minute it returns an ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error. This makes website development quite hard and frustrating.

If I attempt to access it via the 3g signal of my mobile phone (provider Three) the web page appears to work fine. I still get the problem if I access the page via Sky Broadband from my mobile phone's browser.

When I attempt to access the page via a proxy script hosted on Google App Engine it works fine.

So this all points towards my Sky Broadband being faulty. However, all other websites appear to work fine via my Sky Broadband account. I called up Sky Broadband support, and they checked my connection and said it was all fine. Being something that only affects one website, they obviously blamed the website host, though I am unsure if that is the case.

I called Godaddy, who tried clearing some caches, and said that there was a server problem ("unauthorised traffic") which should be resolved in a few hours time. But that was yesterday, and the problem is still with me today.

Does anyone know what else I could try to get this fixed?

fcmisc, May 25, 2015 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Couple questions:
    Are you running a Wordpress site?
    Are you viewing the site in Chrome? If you do, have you tried other browsers?
    There are quite a lot about the error-message via Google - first three hits I found was these:
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/err_empty_response
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic...e-the-server-closed-the-connection-without-se
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/4370-73-error-err_empty_response
    Seems it might be GoDaddy, might be Chrome, or might be something else entirely

PoPSiCLe, May 25, 2015 IP
    fcmisc likes this.
  3. fcmisc

fcmisc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi PoPSicle,

Thanks for trying to help.
    I have Wordpress installed on another domain, but the website I am having problems with.
    Yes, I did use Chrome, but now I have changed to Firefox. But I still get the problem.
    Similar to other peoples' problems, I am getting "Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary." in my logs. However, all the fixes seem to require configuring an APACHE file that I don't have access to.;{

My .htaccess file consists of this:
    DirectoryIndex index.htm

fcmisc, May 25, 2015 IP
  4. fcmisc

fcmisc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I found a workaround for this...
    I believe the problem was caused by an ajax script that downloaded data every second. Changing the refresh rate to 5 seconds appears to prevent the problem. I guess Godaddy must be temporarily blocking IP's that do 1 request a second, though I personally don't think that is particularly high.

fcmisc, May 25, 2015 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well... you're not doing the math right. 1 request pr second pr user would be the correct way to calculate it - which can very quickly add up to a LOT of requests, if there are many users.

PoPSiCLe, May 25, 2015 IP