1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can I drive more organic traffic for engilsh version of russian mass media website?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by forinnov, May 19, 2015.

We've got popular russian-based non-govermental mass media (in russian language).

6 months ago we made an english version (put it at different domain in .com) and right now we haven't got anybody over there:)
    First of all - because english version is not included in news.google.com (we're working on it)

So ... Can somebody advice how ve can increase our popularity?

forinnov, May 19, 2015 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Who are your target readership? Are they English-speaking transplants living or working in Russia? Or would it be English-speaking people outside of Russia?

jrbiz, May 19, 2015 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Have you tried to drive traffic from Twitter? Make Twitter your best friend and you should do fine.

qwikad.com, May 19, 2015 IP
  4. forinnov

forinnov Member

Best Answers:
    2nd option - for English-speaking people outside of Russia

About how many visitors per day are you talking about?

forinnov, May 20, 2015 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    The larger your twitter account the more visitors you will have. The sky's the limit.

And if you happen to have a controversial article on your site that goes viral you can draw a lot of visitors whether it's from FB, Twitter or G+.

Find out as much as you can about Growth Hacking. You can achieve an explosive traffic growth if you know how to market your site on popular social media sites utilizing your own unique approach and creativity (for a news site nothing works better than funny, unique or controversial articles).

qwikad.com, May 20, 2015 IP
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry to ask more questions, but I still need to better understand your goals, etc. Who are these English-speaking people and why would they be interested in your news? Note that I am a sales/marketing professional, so I am not wasting your time and will offer suggestions, but I need this additional information.

jrbiz, May 20, 2015 IP
  7. forinnov

forinnov Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like nobody knows anything about Russia right now.
    Not about Goverment Speech or smth like that.
    I'm telling about some local stories... some funny stories.

That is because nobody write it here, in Russia, in English.

forinnov, May 20, 2015 IP
  8. lukeSwenson

lukeSwenson Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the best way is to make a facebook page and post the link on your russian website and when you have enough likes, post the URL of your English website on your facebook page. In this way your russian visitors will also check the English version of your website. This will increase the website traffic and also ranking. So your website will come up in the Search engine searches. That's all I know. One more way is to buy traffic to at least get a significant amount of visitors to your English website and I would suggest you to try SEOClerks, because I think it is the best and cheapest website to buy website traffic from freelancers.

lukeSwenson, May 24, 2015 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I like your concept and think that it could be successful. I would suggest a strong PR campaign in which you utilize some of your funniest, weirdest, coolest stories and publicize them to English-language news organizations that would like to carry the story to its readership. In fact, you could look to develop strategic relationships with some of these news organizations to carry each other's stories that might be of interest to your readers, too. The key will be identifying and targeting the right news organizations who might be open to your stories and perhaps a relationship.

In this manner, you will be developing quality traffic which should convert well into readership. Buying paid traffic is almost always a complete waste of time and money and the potential to be ripped off by people selling bot visitors is high.

jrbiz, May 24, 2015 IP
  10. forinnov

forinnov Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for you opinion.
    I think the same.

But we've got a little bit stupied problem - we don't know where we can find such websites.

Yes, sure we know about such media like NYtimes and others - but they are too big to cooperate.
    We also tried some govermental websites - nobody answered.

And we tried local media (for 1-2 states if we are talking about US) - we've got only 1 answer (we found some databeses in Google)

Maybe you know in what place we can find some small and medium-sized mass media that will cooperate with us?
    (In Russia it is mch easier - we've got russian search engine that share whole database of our media by categories)

forinnov, May 25, 2015 IP
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I would suggest not targeting a country so far away like the U.S. Yes, it is an attractive market, but it's interest in Russian news might not be so great at this stage of your company's development. I would start thinking closer to your borders (Eastern Europe, western Asia, etc.) Maybe try a search for English language media closer to you. Their readers should be much more interested in learning what their neighbors are up to. Once you have some successful relationships going with these areas, you can consider expanding to other English-language countries (e.g., U.K.) Eventually, you could spread out to the U.S., Australia, NZ, etc.

jrbiz, May 25, 2015 IP
  12. peter onine

peter onine Member

Best Answers:
    DO SEO for your keyword for the English version, promote your English version on your russian social media account to get the ball rolling,

create different social media portal for the new english version and promote those channel

peter onine, May 31, 2015 IP
  13. Kvazios

Kvazios Member

Best Answers:
    try to start with social networks + (maybe) buy good links from few popular sites

Kvazios, Jun 2, 2015 IP
  14. H0stZealot

H0stZealot Active Member

Best Answers:
    Bad thing is - Nobody is interested in Russian stories abroad. Putin rules Russia, nobody else says or does anything important, and all Putin's actions are closely watched by prominent media. When his regime falls and bloodbath begins - again, all top media companies will highlight events on their own so nobody will be interested in Russian news from small Russian news portal, sorry.

And one more thing - there already is RussiaToday and all English-speaking people with at least half a brain know this company spreads lies. Due to this fact I doubt they will be interested in another Russian-based news website.

Therefore, you were told the only possible way - let your audience promote your website through their social accounts, maybe even offer them some rewards for it. I doubt anything else will work.

H0stZealot, Jun 2, 2015 IP
  15. forinnov

forinnov Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your replies!

I've just analyzed the data from google anylitics from May and July.

And found huge numbers of visitors from these websites:

1. trafficmonetize.org(43,60 %)

2. 4webmasters.org(18,08 %)

3. webmonetizer.net(8,06 %)

Can smb comment what is that? I tried to search the specific refferal page at these sites in Google, but didn't find it...

forinnov, Jul 10, 2015 IP
  16. Tobby888

Tobby888 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'd like to read your En version blog :):)

Tobby888, Jul 19, 2015 IP
  17. forinnov

forinnov Member

Best Answers:
    Could you explain?

forinnov, Jul 20, 2015 IP