1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bootstrap drop down menu off the left side of page

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Oscar9er, May 23, 2015.

Hi I am helping someone fix a couple design problems in the following http://churchgigs.com/ .
    If you see the site the first menu item "Consultants" the menu drop down goes off the left side of the page. I will include a screen pic.

1.jpg

here is a link to the theme files css folder
    http://churchgigs.com/wp-content/themes/Church%20Gigs%20Ministry%20Gigs/css/

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thx!

Oscar9er, May 23, 2015 IP
  2. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is very little point in trying to fix presentation in a page full of errors
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

The validator reports 73 errors and some of them are of the serious structure variety that make trying to fix anything to do with layout about as productive as trying to nail Jello to a wall. Then you look at the mess created by a combination if inlime styling inline scripting which impacts styling and external stylesheets and the chances of nailing down the root cause are about likely as winning a lottery three times in a row.

I suggest you start by fixing the errors, rationalizing the CSS, and making sure you have a stable structure. With that done you will probably find you no longer have a presentation isssue; but if you do the work space will be stable instead of the quicksand that is there now.

COBOLdinosaur, May 23, 2015 IP
  3. Oscar9er

Oscar9er Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    OK thx, I am just coming to the site.

It is a wordpress page, so that is generated HTML, how do I find the cause of the errors?

When I edit the page in Wordpress this is all there is to edit:

Search The Ministry You Are Looking For And Click "Search Listings"

[video width="1280" height="720" mp4="http://churchgigs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/churchgigswebbanner_1280X720.mp4" loop="true" autoplay="true" preload="auto"][/video]

What would cause so many errors? A badly designed theme? Do I have to fix the PHP to fix the HTML errors many of them seem to be missing tags

4. COBOLdinosaur

Best Answers:
    Given the mess I see, my guess is that it was developed by someone who did not have any idea how to do a web page, and they just loaded a bunch of stuff they found on the internet. The big problem with WP is that it is promoted as an easy tool for amateurs, but what gets created is unmaintainable. 90% of of the themes are pure trash and developers like me just junk them and start over because there is little of value that can be salvaged.

You may need to hire a professional developer to re-do it, because it doe not look like it is worth trying to rescue give the poor quality, slow loading time, and a boatload of really bad practices.

COBOLdinosaur, May 23, 2015 IP
  5. Oscar9er

Oscar9er Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well that's not an option, I'm coming late to this but there's no other option than to fix the original question I posted. If it has to be a patchwork fix so be it. If you see the site the first menu item "Consultants" the menu drop down goes off the left side of the page. I will include a screen pic.

I can write a little php, as an alternative question is there an answer to the question as to what in the WP php would be causing it to generate HTML that triggers so many validation errors. Where should I begin to look for the fix.

6. COBOLdinosaur

Best Answers:
    I doubt the WP PHP is the root cause of the mess you have woocommerce stuffed in the WP page co there is co-generation. The most likely culprits are some of the 20 script files. When I see a page where a developer has to use over 20 CSS classes on the body tag there is no point in even looking any further. The page is nothing but tag soup inside of of some kind of chaotic ball of CSS goo. You might figure out some kind of hack to get around the current problem, but something else will break and the page will remain unmaintainable.

The biggest downside is that the page looks like it is intended to be promotional in nature and that means it need good positioning in search engines. It is never going to get that in its current state. When the cralwer starts hitting all those errors, it is going to downgrade the page because of all the error. The fact that the browser cannot figure out how to render the page may also mean that the crawler cannot fully index it, and may even ignore it completely.

I understan the spot you are in, but if time is a constraint then you need to understand that unless you get lucky it is going to take more time to "fix" it than to re-write it, and any fix is not going to hold. The page is too badly damaged to be stabalized.

COBOLdinosaur, May 24, 2015 IP
    malky66 and deathshadow like this.
  7. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @COBOLdinosaur is being EXTREMELY polite! This is a poster child for everything wrong with development today; where the owner of the site needs a wakeup call, and everyone who has ever worked on it needs a nice big slap across the face with a wet trout. EVERY possible sleazy shortcut and scam artist BS was applied during it's creation, so of COURSE it's broken -- that menu placement being the LEAST of it's problems!

Auto-playing video, full with image/video elements, illegible colour contrasts on major text sections, fixed metric (px) fonts, massive amounts of white-space trying to cover up a lack of actual content, massive poorly encoded images that have ZERO business on a website in the first place -- design alone it reeks of having been put together by one of those artsy fartsy "Designers" who didn't know enough about accessibility to be designing but two things -- Jack and ****, and Jack left town.

... and that's BEFORE looking under the hood where it's the typical train wreck of developer ineptitude one can expect when turdpress, bootcrap and a slew of pointless extensions are sleazed together any old way. Endless static CSS in the markup, endless pointless META nothing REAL actually uses, endless pointless scripttardery, endless pointless DIV, classes and ID for nothing, absolute URI's for nothing, gibberish use of numbered heading tags, empty numbered headings, incomplete/improperly built forms, lists around non-list elements... ends up a bloated train wreck of 70k in the home page HTML to deliver 1.9k of plaintext and 18 content images/video elements -- that's EASILY six to eight times as much code as should have been used on such a simple(ton) site. The markup ALONE is developer ineptitude of the highest order and blindly throwing silver bullet fixes at it is akin to trying to patch up a 20mm gunshot wound with bactine and a band-aid.

As evidenced by the guano crazy 5.09 MEGABYTES pageload in 61 separate files, 783k and 32 files of that being the scripttardery and another 277k in 5 files being the CSS -- when an entire website shouldn't need more than 48k of CSS in 1 file per media target and 32k of JS.

The site owner needs to be told that someone put a saddle on them and took them for a ride. Being it's a faith based site they should at least be familiar with the concept since that's their bread and butter -- surprising they didn't recognize it.

deathshadow, May 24, 2015 IP
  8. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    This. Is. The. Best. Damn. Comment. EVER! :D

PoPSiCLe, May 24, 2015 IP
  9. COBOLdinosaur

Best Answers:
    Yeah once in a while he turns a pretty good phrase. :)

COBOLdinosaur, May 25, 2015 IP