1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How cartoons are made?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by graphi87, Jun 30, 2009.

1. sarah_harvey

sarah_harvey Active Member

Best Answers:
    When it comes to Walt Disney stuff you have to remember that once all the angles and expressions are drawn it is pretty easy from there to create what you want. It's obviously easier to do 3d animation. But 2d is totally harder. Typical japanese anime use a combination of 2d and 3d to achieve the end result. The characters are drawn... by hand. The backgrounds and scenes are often 3d and then made to look 2d to fit in with the rest. It is very complicated and one person alone can't do everything unless you are willing to spend months and months. Hence why you have someone who is the artist, but doesn't colour. You will have someone who does the outline and then someone completely different to do the colouring etc.

sarah_harvey, Jul 10, 2009 IP
  2. i.run.shit

i.run.shit Peon

Best Answers:
    Before fancy computers and high powered graphic programs, each frame was an individually drawing and layered with a background. Then each frame was taken as a picture in sequence and when it was all run together, you had either a full length movie or a short.

There is a lot more technical stuff all jammed in the middle of those "steps" but that was the basic idea. Thundercats, Scooby Doo, and many other older cartoons were put together in this manner.

i.run.shit, Jul 10, 2009 IP
  3. p.rutherford

p.rutherford Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, most of it is still done that way, scene to scene, everything drawn by hand. Unless, of course, you're using Maya. Now, I only spent a little bit of time in Maya, but basically, it's all 3D, and you can move all the angles around at will, so that it not only looks three-dimensional, but you can move it and look at it different and change it without having to actually edit the object. It's sort of cool. As far as how they make movies with that, well, I'm not entirely sure. I only know the basics of how they were once made and how most low-grade or old-school, excuse the terms, animations are made.

p.rutherford, Jul 10, 2009 IP
  4. graphi87

graphi87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    so if i want to create some cartoons like Thundercats and Scooby Doo from where should i be starting?

graphi87, Jul 10, 2009 IP
  5. Jalpari

Jalpari Notable Member

Best Answers:
    start with drawing tool, use good-tutorials.com and search google one day u will design cartoons.

i think maya is more better than PS for cartoons

Jalpari, Jul 10, 2009 IP
  6. smcybercool

smcybercool Peon

Best Answers:
    Not really ??! ....its 2D creation only! ..but now a days most of the new cartoons are being made 3 dimensional with better neat work! anyways its the technology of this century and they got a lot of tools for doing so before all were hand drawn :p

but mostly all toons are hand drawn then scanned and with the wireframe they are done..

smcybercool, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  7. sheryonline

sheryonline Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    at first making cartoons was very difficult coz cartoons were made by hands by xperienced cartoonist but today due to Coral draw and flash photoshop it has become easy to make cartoons ....... !!

sheryonline, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  8. p.rutherford

p.rutherford Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, keep in mind that there is a team of over a hundred animators for one Disney film. So if you're wanting to make something like the Thundercats, you can pic old school or animation, but either way, you're going to be working on this probably for a year or so if it's like a 30 min animation. These things take forever. A Disney movie has over a hundred animators alone, not including storyboard and set up and all that jazz, and it still takes them two years or so to make a film.

p.rutherford, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  9. sheila.peacock

sheila.peacock Peon

Best Answers:
    I would imagine either Maya or Flash

sheila.peacock, Oct 21, 2009 IP
  10. paukaya

paukaya Peon

Best Answers:
    I had read that the moving animations are actually not moving. They are simply a series of static images which had been shown at such fast rate

paukaya, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  11. dabzo

dabzo Peon

Best Answers:
    dabzo, Nov 2, 2009 IP
  12. danimorte

danimorte Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Try software pencil, one of the animation software for mac

danimorte, May 20, 2015 IP
  13. SocialSignals

SocialSignals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Back than it used to be rotoscoped.
    Now there are softwares, I think flash has a similar option, where you can create "Edges" of movement and the inbetween frames will be autofilled automatically from the pc.
    There's also a tool, called "onion skin" or something, where you start with a drawing, than the pc reproduces past frames.
    Also, no, the images don't start 3d. They used to start in a piece of paper, now they probably start on photoshop or a similar software.

If you were to notice, there are two types of animations, the OVA quality ones and your typical run-of-the-mill episode quality show. If you pause in the midts of an action scene, you will see a lot of morphing and unusual porportions and distortions. Those are done automatically.
    Whereas, if you see an OVA whoose action feel strangely more "fluid" , and you pause the video in midst action, you will notice that it is perfectly a normal bend.
    Your eyes doesn't obiviously notice the difference, but it does notice it to a smaller degree. It feels more "purified". Ok, I'll stop being metaphorical.

SocialSignals, May 22, 2015 IP