1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which PHP Framework will you use often?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Leela Narasimha, May 4, 2015.

If a client needs a website that should be developed in PHP language.

Which framework will you select to complete the project?

What is the framework you people will be very interested or comes to mind first when we talk about php?

According to me if it is small project i develop in codeigniter. If its medium or big project or has continuous enhancements i prefer Laravel over codeigniter.

All the time it depends

Leela Narasimha, May 4, 2015 IP
  2. phpzone

phpzone Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on the project need.
    If there is continuous change and lots of customization in future then go for the framework like Codeigniter, Laravel, And should also use the library for different type of project.
    And If project there is no lots of customization then go with cms like Wordpress joomla etc.

phpzone, May 4, 2015 IP
  3. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I see no benefit in using codeigniter over laravel for smaller projects... Or vise versa... Makes zero difference

NetStar, May 4, 2015 IP
  4. freelanceDeveloper

freelanceDeveloper Member

Best Answers:
    Why do you open this post 6 hours after you've responded to another exact same post...
    Is DP paying people to publish posts on given keywords as a google keyword ranking service or what?

freelanceDeveloper, May 5, 2015 IP
    ThePHPMaster likes this.
  5. _bastian

_bastian Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My vote is for Laravel of course but the development is pretty slow

_bastian, May 11, 2015 IP
  6. EricBruggema

EricBruggema Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My one, as i can add and remove modules on the fly. It won't use alot of resources as it only uses what it needs... as most frameworks will include alot of bs that you are not using.

EricBruggema, May 12, 2015 IP
  7. Sizdom

Sizdom Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Laravel is the best choice.

Sizdom, May 12, 2015 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I see no point to some bloated rubbish framework that I can't trust the internals of, makes the site cost twice as much or more to host, and in general just doesn't work how I work, think or generally do things. To me they are ALL universally rubbish and I have yet to see one that is worth a flying purple fish.

It's like asking "what's the best car YUGO ever made for the North American market?"

At BEST they are a sleazy shortcut, at worst they are bloated slow INSECURE train wrecks of how not to build PHP, using programming ideas (like MVC) that have no damned business in a top-down execution model non-event driven language!

No matter how many people who've had smoke blown up their ass seem to think so.

deathshadow, May 13, 2015 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  9. nshntsngh

nshntsngh Member

Best Answers:
    CakePHP

nshntsngh, May 20, 2015 IP
  10. digi_media

digi_media Active Member

Best Answers:
    Symfony

digi_media, May 27, 2015 IP
  11. Shanaya Rodolfo

Shanaya Rodolfo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I will prefer codeigniter for website project development. As it is user friendly and customization is easily within this framework.

Shanaya Rodolfo, Jun 12, 2015 IP
  12. SlimCharles47

SlimCharles47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    SlimCharles47, Jun 22, 2015 IP
  13. mytechiestuff

mytechiestuff Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Deatshadow wrote:
    "I see no point to some bloated rubbish framework that I can't trust the internals of, makes the site cost twice as much or more to host, and in general just doesn't work how I work, think or generally do things. To me they are ALL universally rubbish and I have yet to see one that is worth a flying purple fish."

So you would not use Laravel 4 ?

I need to get some interesting web projects created for clients and though Rails has its advantages, I thought PHP with the some thing like Laravel 4 would be the right choice.

Is that not right?

mytechiestuff, Jul 13, 2015 IP
  14. mentat47

mentat47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've never used PHP, but it's been around for years. From what I've heard it's a very robust and versatile scripting language.

mentat47, Jul 13, 2015 IP
  15. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I share some of the same views of PHP frameworks as deathshadow does... However, in different, I do think Laravel is a good framework for PHP. Especially if you need to rapidly deploy an application that someone else can take over and extend/modify.

You just need to ask yourself first if you need a framework.

Personally...the majority of my projects are spent coming up with the backend internals rather than focusing on the project itsself. I can waste too much time thinking about something that someone else has already developed, tried, and tested.

NetStar, Jul 13, 2015 IP
  16. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    No, I would not. The dependencies it wants at the system level -- the halfwit nonsense "composer" -- is by itself; much like PEAR, enough to make me under normal circumstances not even give it a second glance. I SUFFERED through the HELL that is trying to get it up and running once, just to give it a fair evaluation... and no... just no.

Generally speaking if your project is "complicated enough" that one of these idiotic dumbass frameworks shows ANY advantage, you're doing something wrong, or just don't know enough about PHP or your database engine of choice to be developing said projects in the first place! At BEST they are a crutch for the inept and lazy, at worst the teach bad development habits, and endless pointless abstraction atop abstraction atop abstraction, and on the whole result in fat bloated HARDER TO MAINTAIN sites.

The notion of them providing "rapid deployment" seems like fiction, and if it DOES happen that speaks more to the developers lack of skills than actual advantages - the idea you can hand it off to others easily also means you're just sleazing out crappy poorly written poorly documented code.

I can't stand RAILS either, though much of that is it doesn't work how I think after some three and a half decades of writing software, and worse it's tied to RUBY, a language that to be brutally frank should have stayed in it's initial stillborne state.

PHP is a fine choice, if you need some goofy framework to help you use PHP, or tie in to a SQL engine, you don't know enough about PHP or SQL to be developing applications yet. All that asshattery does is make you work harder, not smarter.

JUST like every other damned "framework" when it comes to web technologies; In my experience PHP frameworks are JUST as big a steaming pile of halfwit mouth-breathing dumbass BULLSHIT as HTML, CSS or JS ones.

Bootcrap, Blueprint, YUI, jQueery, Prototype, Codeignitor, Laravel, Smarty -- developers are dumber for these even EXISTING -- It's all JUST code bloat rubbish for the inept, incompetent or outright sleazeball scam artists. NONE of them make anything easier, simpler, or faster. I cannot fathom any advantage to their use... apart from a cognitive bias formed towards them thanks to the endless marketspeak asshattery that SHOULD be setting off EVERYONES bullshit alarm.

Admittedly, my BS alarm is a bit more sensitive than others; just seeing the word "artisan" is enough to make me dismiss something as proactive paradigm nonsense.

Much less -- as certain people fail to grasp -- when their front-end on the website for it is an ineptly coded inaccessible buggy broken train wreck of how NOT to build a website, their documentation pages being even WORSE on that front, am I REALLY supposed to trust that these jokers have ANY clue what they are doing on the back-end and then blindly trust their codebase? When they can't even get the simple shit right, there's no way I'm trusting them with the complex.

If it wasn't for the poking and prodding of others telling me I have to try it, I'd NEVER have gotten past their website to even try and install it... finally having gotten it up and running in a VM...

No... just gods no. Of course it ALSO reeks of the MVC bull, a programming paradigm (see what I did there?) that has NO damned business in a non event driven top-down execution language with little if any legitimate parallelism; no matter how sick a buzzword MVC has been turned into as halfwits, morons and fools try to shoe-horn it into PHP like shoving a 500 pound woman's size 14 hoof into a size 7 pump.

Across the board on web tech, it's like -- as I've said before -- people are back to billing by the K-LoC, and trying their damndest to throw as many lines of code at EVERYTHING As possible -- hence why you're seeing absolute garbage code where people use nearly 100k or more HTML, several hundred K of CSS, half a megabyte or more JS, and massive thousand file back-end codebases to do the job of a thousand lines of PHP outputing 10-15k of markup, 48k of CSS (across the entire SITE), and 16k or less JS (if ANY).

MAYBE if people stopped sleazing shit together any old way, bothered actually learning the underlying languages instead of diving for frameworks because they're too stupid to "Google it", and stopped pissing all over accessibility with "gee ain't it neat" bullshit most of which has no damned business on websites in the first place, they might see what I'm saying.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    deathshadow, Jul 14, 2015 IP
    ryan_uk and mytechiestuff like this.
  17. mytechiestuff

Best Answers:
    "JUST like every other damned "framework" when it comes to web technologies; In my experience PHP frameworks are JUST as big a steaming pile of halfwit mouth-breathing dumbass BULLSHIT as HTML, CSS or JS ones."

Wow!!!

Next time I am in Hollywood I will pitch for an "American Idol Software" show.

I am sure that DeathShadow can be the Simon Cowell of Software :)

I do appreciate the comments though and will look again at the options available for the client projects that I have on my plate.

mytechiestuff, Jul 15, 2015 IP
  18. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Not the first to make that comparison, but really I'm more of a Gordon Ramsey, in that "This octopus is so raw it's still raping japanese schoolgirls", "This dish is so Ginger it's a Weasley", "This pork is so raw it's still singing Hakuna Matata" kind of way.

There's a reason I used to have Foghorn Leghorn as my avatar.

deathshadow, Jul 15, 2015 IP
  19. mytechiestuff

Best Answers:
    Any thoughts on Slim (specifically the new Slim 3 Beta version) as a framework with PHP?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    mytechiestuff, Aug 7, 2015 IP
  20. Angelus

Angelus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Laravel 5.1 or Symfony... Study the documentation (and code!) of each framework you want consider choosing before making any judgments...

Angelus, Aug 10, 2015 IP