1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How good are .red/.blue tlds for a startup SEO wise?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Creative Nerd, May 8, 2015.

Hello there. I honestly don't know if this is the best section for this question, so I apologize in advance if not.

So, I'm ready to create a startup web-based company and only have around €750 (about ~$850) to spend (so a good marketing campaing is pretty much not an option at least in the first month of operations).

The thing is I have a really good name in mind but very little experience with SEO, so I'm turning to you guys. How would these tlds impact my business in regards to SEO?

Creative Nerd, May 8, 2015 IP
  2. Domain Lead Finder

Domain Lead Finder Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It does not impact SEO at all, the content you put up will be the determining key not the extension. Google does not have any preferences as far as TLD-s go, at least this is what I have seen from personal experience. Keep in mind that most of these new TLD-s charge an arm and a leg for premium domains, and they consider premium any word from the dictionary.

Domain Lead Finder, May 12, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  3. Creative Nerd

Creative Nerd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Awesome, that's amazing to hear! I was kind of afraid since I never saw one of these new tlds on my searches before and thought that maybe they're not so good. Thank you!

Creative Nerd, May 12, 2015 IP
  4. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well Google won't slice your ranks because of the URL but there is a darn good reason such extensions rarely pop up in the first pages of results (apart from the ridiculous prices for some). Is it really worth the risk of losing a good number of visitors because you chose a goofy TLD (even if it complements the domain name itself)? Because you will be, people are just way too used to .COM (especially people after a certain age) to even TRY and understand the concept of the new TLDs. You are losing memorability and unless you are targeting mainly hip youngsters you are just making it hard for yourself right from the get-go. ;)

Rado_ch, May 12, 2015 IP
  5. Creative Nerd

Creative Nerd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm.. that's a good point. Yeah, the TLD complements the domain name in my case, and my targeted customers are young adults but you do make a good case about people being used to .com domains - if I think about it, at least half of my friends have no idea that these new top level domains even exist. Thanks so much for your input @Rado_ch !

The bad thing about all of this is that all the legal paperwork is done, the website itself is almost ready and I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place regarding the domain name issue.

Creative Nerd, May 12, 2015 IP
  6. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well you can always get the .COM of the same name if it is available but I'm guessing that was not possible, otherwise you would've considered it in the first place. Its never too late though. You can keep an eye on the .COM and try to snatch it when/if it expires or contact the owner directly with an offer (that is a whole other discussion with its tips and tricks). Or you can just roll out your plan as it is, give it your best to popularize your services and if you feel that this is indeed holding you back you can go for a rebrand at a later point...

Rado_ch, May 12, 2015 IP