1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Truth Rank – a VERY Bad Idea. Very, Very Bad.

Discussion in 'Google' started by unity100, May 5, 2015.

"......How are you going to decide which piece of information is more truthful? What are you going to base your algorithm on? Science? Authority? Prominence? The standing of the references the article gives in regard to these kind of stuff?....."

http://bluetechstorm.com/google-truth-rank-a-very-bad-idea-very-very-bad/

Presents some solid cases and arguments to demonstrate why a truth rank idea is very bad....

unity100, May 5, 2015 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  2. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yeah, I could see it being a favorite among spin doctors, secret government disinformation groups, and even historians who would like their version over their competitors. Although, I do see their point. There is a lot of dangerously wrong information on the internet. If there wasn't Snopes would be out of business.

usasportstraining, May 5, 2015 IP
  3. unity100

unity100 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    well. already there's something to determine accuracy of stuff, isnt it.

i'd say google would pull a 'brands will sort out the mess' with this one too, if they did. ie panda/penguin affair.

unity100, May 5, 2015 IP
  4. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think it has a little bit to do with transparency. If somebody has a good rep across the board and an open internet presence, they ought to be considered on the truthful side. That doesnt mean their facts (opinions?) are spot on.

Karen May Jones, May 5, 2015 IP
  5. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I'm going to decide the world is flat, and post it everywhere. :rolleyes:

Isn't truth in numbers? The more you see it, the more you read it, the truer it must be.

danasurvey, May 5, 2015 IP
  6. unity100

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    ironically, repetition and drowning out truth is one of the things which is used in propagand - in western press especially.

however the solution is not to designate the very sources which are propagating propaganda as authorities to determine truth of other sources.

unity100, May 5, 2015 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  7. endual

endual Active Member

Best Answers:
    It works for Wikipedia... I think the idea is to weed out pseudo science and conspiracy theory nutcases, don't think they will enter into the whole Coke vs Pepsi debate :)

endual, May 6, 2015 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  8. unity100

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, its not as simple as that. check the article. it presents some solid cases which are neither 'coke vs pepsi', nor psuedo-science.

unity100, May 6, 2015 IP
  9. ravau

ravau Member

Best Answers:
    I feel the same it's not good idea, what about all the internet creativity that would not meet "truth criteria"? Google is going to stop spread developing art,science etc, oh i guess they dont giv a .. as they only need themselves nowadays

ravau, May 10, 2015 IP
  10. Domain Lead Finder

Domain Lead Finder Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It is in googles best interest to screw up rankings for everybody who is competing and make them pay adwords or whatever. The google search IMO has declined in quality over the years and this does not seem to bother google too much, simply because it is the most popular search engine and very few people would change. How would they apply their truth algo to something like "who is better samsung or apple?" it is basically going to measure peoples opinions and this is wide open to manipulation and mistakes IMO

Domain Lead Finder, May 11, 2015 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  11. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly. And it is in Google's best interest to favor sites that make money just with AdSense. ;)

danasurvey, May 11, 2015 IP
  12. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    A "truth algorithm" would be a nightmare in my Religion niche! Who would decide the "truth"? The Catholics? Protestants? Pentecostals? Orthodox? Muslims? Hindus? Jews? Buddhists? You get the picture.

Jim4767, May 12, 2015 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  13. LinnieMoneyMaker

LinnieMoneyMaker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In the event you haven’t heard, Google is thinking of applying a rank protocol to be able to rank serp's depending on his or her ‘truth’ amount. Criteria will decide precisely how reputable and also genuine a website can be, and also area the ones who have a higher ‘truth rank’ better browsing final results. And this can be a VERY bad thought, as a result of really easy, clear motive.

LinnieMoneyMaker, May 26, 2015 IP
    danasurvey likes this.