1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the easiest way to check the size of a webpage?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Jacob Sines, May 4, 2015.

I want to check the size of my webpage, but I haven't put it on a server yet. I keep finding things about the toolbar in Firefox, but I still can't find the way to see the size of the webpage.

Jacob Sines, May 4, 2015 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Use Firebug in Firefox - go to Net -> enable, refresh page. It will show all loads and give a total pageweight at the bottom

PoPSiCLe, May 4, 2015 IP
    deathshadow likes this.
  3. Leela Narasimha

Leela Narasimha Member

Best Answers:
    There is a chrome plugin page speed. It tells you how much speed the website is and also the ways to increase the speed of the site.

In firebug (Firefox) or chrome Inpect element. If you check the network tag you will find the size of the website it downloaded the server in kb's.

Leela Narasimha, May 5, 2015 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    If you "inspect element" without firebug (perfectly good inspector built in now) there's a "click on the [clock] button to start a performance analysis" thing under "Network" that gives you cached and uncached totals and two cute pie charts!
    http://www.cutcodedown.com/for_others/sizes.jpg

The Web Developer Toolbar
    http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/

Under "Information" has a nice document size function as well (at least in FF) that kind-of works though some transmission types (like late loaded scripting) doesn't get shown.
    http://www.cutcodedown.com/for_others/documentSize.jpg

Sadly it's not as useful in browsers other than FF where a number of things don't work or are outright missing.

It is really a must have for development with things like the "View Document Outline" telling you if your heading orders make any sense or not.
    http://www.cutcodedown.com/for_others/documentOutline.jpg

Which of course is a laugh since 99%+ of developers NEVER learned to use headings properly, which of course is why HTML 5-tardery idiotic BS redundancies like SECTION, ARTICLE and NAV were added out of ignorance on the part of the folks at the WhatWG.

-- edit -- ooh, good thing I just looked, my damned server config isn't sending compressed again.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    deathshadow, May 5, 2015 IP
    billzo likes this.
  5. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Hey, nice. Maybe I should have another look at the built-in tools :D Gotten so used to just using WebDev toolbar and Firebug I haven't really played with the built-in tools since they first arrived (and was horribly lacking) - seems they've upgraded a bit.

PoPSiCLe, May 5, 2015 IP
  6. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Since I've been forced to migrate away from Opera since the last REAL version (12.17) doesn't work with most HTTPS sites anymore and the pathetically crippled and useless train wreck that is "Chrome with the Opera logo slapped on it" lacks 90%+ of the things I got used to a browser being able to do (I say the same thing about chrome) I've been increasingly pleased with Firefox. It's still an unstable wreck that gets more unstable the more extensions you add, at least the basic functionality I expect from a UI can be added, and more and more things I expect to be built in actually ARE built in. (hell, just look at that first screencap in my previous post to see how many changes I make to FF)

Generally I don't need document inspectors like firebug or dragonfly for my own stuff since I bother practicing semantics and separation of presentation from content, grasping what rules are and how they are applied. The only time things like Firebug or Dragonfly serves a legitimate purpose is when dealing with crappy code written by the types of dumbasses who think HTML/CSS frameworks, preprocessor crap like LESS and SASS, whitespace minification, and all the other outdated, outmoded or just plain broken methodology serves any legitimate purpose apart from mollycoddling the inept. Debugging their train wrecks of how not to build a website where they waste 400k of CSS and 50 to 100k of HTML to do 32k of CSS and 10k of markup's job is the only time the "document inspector" part of such tools really does anything useful for me.

As such, what's built into FF these days is massive overkill for my use.

Camel mannered tunic wearing mollycoddles!

deathshadow, May 6, 2015 IP
  7. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The built-in Firefox Web Developer Tools are invaluable in my opinion. I use it every day.

The reason I am posting this is because I want to know if anyone has used the Firefox Developer Edition browser. It looks like it has most of the tools the built-in Firefox tools have, but more.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/

I am intrigued by the part that says:

"Telemetry" which reports usage statistics back to Mozilla is activated in it, so that would have to be switched off.

support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/share-telemetry-data-mozilla-help-improve-firefox?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=send-performance-data-improve-firefox

billzo, May 6, 2015 IP
  8. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    I tested the developer edition when it first came out, but found that it wasn't really that different from regular Firefox with plugins. They've probably updated it quite a bit since then. I didn't find much I had any use for in the dev-edition which I couldn't get in regular - not a single thing, I think - but what you're talking about above wasn't part of it back when it first came out. Might be worth looking into again.

PoPSiCLe, May 6, 2015 IP
  9. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    The website ALONE set off my scammy sense; The moment I see things like "automatically reports" I don't want to install it, but to then be recommending crap that anyone who understands web development should recoil in horror at like "pixel perfect"... when the site for a 'developer edition' is filled with accessibility failings and comes across as a laundry list of how not to build a website, it doesn't exactly engender trust of the product. They basically pissed on it before I even got as far as downloading it.

Much less the features listed don't really sound like they'd do anything I'd be doing in developing a website in the first place.

deathshadow, May 6, 2015 IP
  10. nshntsngh

nshntsngh Member

Best Answers:
    Firebug provides a lot of options to analyse a webpage thoroughly

nshntsngh, May 14, 2015 IP
  11. LinnieMoneyMaker

LinnieMoneyMaker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    To check the size of your web page, just go to the link which is given below.

http://www.getrank.org/tools/webpage-size-checker/

LinnieMoneyMaker, May 24, 2015 IP