1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ways to make money using my internet speed

Discussion in 'General Business' started by ctpalmer2, May 1, 2015.

So I have a 5GBPS UP / DOWN fiber internet connection coming into my house in mid May and its Unmetered and I have access to a block of IPS and can purchase them as needed. I am also an HP Reseller so I can get access to servers and equipment as a very good price point even on the new Gen9 Series. I am looking for ways to monetize my internet connection as most of the speed will not be used. Any Ideas? Here is what I have so far.

1. Simple Web Hosting W/ Cpanel (own a lifetime license)
    2. Wordpress Hosting
    3. Cloud MySQL Databases
    4. File Storage / Upload Site

Any other ideas?

ctpalmer2, May 1, 2015 IP
  2. Kingfish85

Kingfish85 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is most likely against your ISP's terms agreement. Not to mention, trying to run a hosting business from a residential home is just a bad idea. What happens if you lose power? Everything goes down. what happens if you're hosting customers, your ISP doesn't like it and shuts off your residential connection? Access will be lost.

Kingfish85, May 1, 2015 IP
    PhiladelphiaIM likes this.
  3. ctpalmer2

ctpalmer2 Member

Best Answers:
    Its a business line thats coming in and its part of our agreement for us to host so they don't have an issue. I live in AZ we have solar power panels that cover 200% of the electricity with buy back plus power running from the grid, not to mention the racks will also have aps backup so as far as power outage im not worried there plus we never lose power in AZ unless something serious happens.

Also all the racks are professionally cooled, managed, switched, etc not first rodeo with it management just trying to see if I have covered my tracks on maximizing profits on this.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2016
    ctpalmer2, May 1, 2015 IP
  4. Kingfish85

Kingfish85 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    >>not first rodeo with it management

Then you should already know this is a bad idea.

Burglar breaks in, steals servers/vandalism etc
    House catches fire.
    Electric goes out. Panels, grid, inverter/charge controller, battery bank etc
    Your single "business" line gets severed: Connection gone

Are you aware of the amount of power you'll need, or how to calculate it? How much power is your home consuming vs having excess? Is it AC or DC, being converted etc? Is it clean power, being conditioned? What about load spikes?

Kingfish85, May 1, 2015 IP
    PhiladelphiaIM likes this.
  5. PhiladelphiaIM

PhiladelphiaIM Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I strongly recommend against trying to start a hosting company to profit off of your Internet connection. I would hate to be a customer on the other end of that.

PhiladelphiaIM, May 1, 2015 IP
  6. Franklin Hatchett

Franklin Hatchett Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I also wouldn't like to be on the other end of that. I've actually seen someone get screwed over by their IPS for doing something similar.

Franklin Hatchett, May 1, 2015 IP