1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site Security As a Service?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by ryzome, Apr 14, 2015.

I'm a systems administrator with 30 years experience with unix and substantial computer security experience (since 1990 or thereabouts.) I have a circle of people who are less experienced than I am but are also very competent and some have competencies that I do not, like regulatory compliance in various industries.

As you all know, security is becoming more and more of an issue. People are taken offline all the time by denial of service attacks and penetrations are getting more and more common-- driveby malware, theft of customer lists, corruption of data, financial fraud, clickfraud, etc.

How do you guys think server security would do as a subscription-based ongoing service? Might you pay for such a service? What do you think a good pricepoint would be? The service would include an initial internal and external penetration test, a monthly manual checkup and an ongoing subscription to internal and external scans.

Any thoughts? How would you gents go about marketing this?

ryzome, Apr 14, 2015 IP
  2. masterbusiness

masterbusiness Banned

Best Answers:
    A good business! but a customer would be hard to find or convince because its about the security of there site and that would include providing information to the service firm about there site. And for that you need to provide a lot of information about your service to earn there trust. I don't much about price points but I would gladly pay for your service provided with the right,reliable information about your service.

masterbusiness, Apr 27, 2015 IP
  3. ryzome

ryzome Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi, get in touch with me at .

ryzome, Apr 27, 2015 IP
  4. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Start with Facebook and then build up a name for yourself. Then launch a website that sells the service?

Mkcoy, Apr 27, 2015 IP
  5. ryzome

ryzome Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That's a good idea. Is FB good for reaching business owners? I'm kind of doing marketing on a semi-personal basis but I would like to expand it.

ryzome, Apr 27, 2015 IP
  6. scott_r

scott_r Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are already server management services offered by many a company. Have you tried contacting some of them and seeing if you can offer your expertise with their services?

It sounds like you may want to approach businesses rather than individuals. Maybe look at getting a website set up and offer free tutorials and articles aimed at enterprise people, then see if you can convert any of them into sales.

Out of curiosity, what might you charge for such a service as the one you describe in your post?

scott_r, Apr 27, 2015 IP
  7. ryzome

ryzome Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would probably charge $500 setup and then 200 per month. If I had control over the system setup or it was standardized as with hosting companies, the setup fee would be substantially less.

Good ideas here, keep 'em coming.

ryzome, Apr 27, 2015 IP
  8. DocuMaker

DocuMaker Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think that's a fantastic service, especially after the last decade of new security threats. I'm telling you, when I started using the Internet, the only security "threat" was accidentally leaving your password around or being fooled into giving it to phisher in some chat room.

My, have times changed. Today, you can get a friggin' virus just by turning on the damn PC.

If you need/want any content, let me know. I've read/written about this stuff for years.

DocuMaker, Apr 28, 2015 IP