1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Follow Up script in PHP

Discussion in 'PHP' started by aleale, Apr 23, 2015.

I am trying to develop a PHP script to follow up my clients. All follow up details and next follow up details will be saved in a mysql table. Is there any way that i can get automatic email to remind me the follow up details on the date when it is scheduled.

Can it be done via cron job? or any other script. Please suggest me

aleale, Apr 23, 2015 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's doable, yes, but why are you making this? There are so many existing solutions out there, so unless you have some very weird things you need to do with this app, why not just use a ready-made solution? If that's not an option, CRON can do this - just make a php-file which checks the database and if there's a date registered either the same day or day after (just adjust the time in the cronjob and what the script checks for) the script can send you an email.

PoPSiCLe, Apr 24, 2015 IP
  3. EricBruggema

EricBruggema Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @PoPSiCLe; why refer to existing scripts, if we all did that we still be using scripts from the year 1999, just because it already existsed... or we still worked with desqview (dos :p ). Its just the fun to develop things yourselve ;)

@TS: its realy doable, and not that hard to make... what for information do you need? what do you already have? and where did you get stuck???

EricBruggema, Apr 24, 2015 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    From the sound of it, it sounded like he needed something to work with clients - not that he was super-interested in developing a new solution. Creating something just for oneself for mundane tasks like this is usually not worth the time. Of course, keep using existing solutions, and nothing ever changes. That's why we don't have a new Linux-distro every other month, or a new Windows release every few years. I mean, nothing wrong with XP, right? Or 98.
    Developing new solutions doesn't depend on amateurs writing some crappy code to solve a simple problem - it depends on dedicated coders (by all means, they might be amateurs in the strictest sense, that they're not working professionally with code) using both their work-hours and spare time on developing a new solution, usually able to publish, and being used by many.
    Depends a bit how much time one wants to use, and what needs one has - if the needs are basic, and the knowledge is lacking, go for a ready-made solution (unless it's a learning experience, then, by all means, go ahead, create!).

PoPSiCLe, Apr 25, 2015 IP
  5. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are many many many general CRM systems out there but they aren't niche related. For instance...if you are an auto dealership looking for a followup CRM system you *could* use salesforce or one of the many other existing CRMs out there but they would NEVER be tailored to your business or allow for the type of follow up/data mining/equity mining/reporting/marketing that dealerships require. In this case, you would most likely use a CRM system that was tailored to that niche. Same with Hair Salons, Tanning Salons, and stores selling any niche product etc. This could very well be why the original poster is "recreating" what already exists.

Back on topic... Event driven systems don't exactly use Crons if they need an event to trigger on a specific moment. Those types of CRM systems will use a server that runs continuously and trigger those functions at the exact date/time requested. The most simplistic way to create such a server is to have a script run in the background checking a database table every minute on the minute for new events.

NetStar, Apr 25, 2015 IP
  6. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I want to add to my post... It may not even be necessary to write a daemon/server to check a mysql table every minute. You probably can get away with just having CRON execute a script every minute to check.

NetStar, Apr 26, 2015 IP